Is this worth the risks?

Old February 25th 06, 02:58 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default Is this worth the risks?

Not only to ISS but a visiting shuttle soyuz progress or other vehicle

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...602250341/1007

Old February 25th 06, 06:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default Yes-No ( Is this worth the risks?)

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 06:58:51 -0800, Bob Haller wrote:

Not....

Yes, I still think so.

informal poll results 1-1, so far.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old February 25th 06, 09:55 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

so you go on a risky space walk and do a exhibition that creates more
orbital debris for profit?

Old February 25th 06, 11:22 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 06:58:51 -0800, Bob Haller wrote:

Not....

Yes, I still think so.

informal poll results 1-1, so far.

Gotta admit, it does worry me somewhat. Not so much from the chance of a
later strike, but the chance of hitting a panel on the initial swing. But I
don't have enough details to say for sure.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Old February 26th 06, 01:54 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

The golf ball trick is well worth it.

It will help raise the public profile of the station.

And I don't really think it would be such a danger. If they shoot the
ball towards the aft, it means that they are effectively deceletating
the ball putting it in an elliptical orbit with less energy than the
station. And that means that it will lose altitude faster than the
station and not be a threath to the station.
Old February 26th 06, 04:53 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

John Doe wrote:

The golf ball trick is well worth it.

It will help raise the public profile of the station.

And I don't really think it would be such a danger. If they shoot the
ball towards the aft, it means that they are effectively deceletating
the ball putting it in an elliptical orbit with less energy than the
station. And that means that it will lose altitude faster than the
station and not be a threath to the station.

Ok, see if I got this right?

They shoot it aft, decelerating the ball,
which will drop to a lower orbit, and whiz past them.

Gee, ain't orbital mechanics fun?

Richard
Old February 26th 06, 11:43 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

It does seem extremely silly, whether its risky or not, but then, I guess
there will be plenty of takers if it becomes possible to write large product
names on the moon...

I imagine that the main danger would not be to the station, as the relative
speed is going to be very slow indeed, but as for some other craft, well, do
we really want to leave even more crap up there for the sake of a publicity
stunt?

I was intrigued by the inbuilt transmitters, I'd assume that these will have
an extremely short life.

Brian

Email:

oups.com...

Old February 26th 06, 01:26 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:55:31 -0800, Bob Haller wrote:

so you go on a risky space walk and do a exhibition that creates more
orbital debris for profit?

No, for fun not profit. If he profits from it that's just a bonus.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old February 26th 06, 07:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Bob Haller" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not only to ISS but a visiting shuttle soyuz progress or other vehicle

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...602250341/1007

The risk is not worth sending the shuttle up again. They should scrap
the program for something a lot more safe. The only reason they want to send
it ups is for foolish pride. It's going to be hell on the astronauts too.
Not only do they have to go up. They're going to have to do another space
walk to check and repair the heat tiles. They will have to do this every
time the shuttle goes up. This is added cost and risk. NASA has been very
stupid in having the Space Shuttle be the only means of putting humans into
space. They sould have had a simpler backup for rescues and economics.

I wonder if they will still have the video from the cameras that show
if foam is hitting the wings. Probably not. They don't want to panic people
as that **** keeps falling off.

John

Old February 26th 06, 07:59 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"John Slade" wrote in message
om...

I wonder if they will still have the video from the cameras that show
if foam is hitting the wings.

um, yes they will.