Prof. Stephen Hawking Experiences the Freedom of Weightlessness During Historic Zero-Gravity Flight (Forwarded)

Old April 27th 07, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.news
Andrew Yee[_1_]

Default Prof. Stephen Hawking Experiences the Freedom of Weightlessness During Historic Zero-Gravity Flight (Forwarded)

Zero Gravity Corporation

Contact:
Rosalie Huerta/Lourdes Diaz
M. Silver Associates Inc.
(954) 765-3636

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 26, 2007

Professor Stephen Hawking Experiences the Freedom of Weightlessness During
Historic Zero-Gravity Flight Out of Kennedy Space Center

Flight Raises More Than $144,000 for Charitable Organizations Serving
Children, the Disabled, and Science and Space

Momentous Flight Sponsored by Space Florida and The Sharper Image

CAPE CANAVERAL, FL -- Zero Gravity Corporation (ZERO-G), and its sponsors,
Space Florida and The Sharper Image, successfully flew world-renowned
physicist, cosmologist, and best-selling author Professor Stephen Hawking
into weightlessness today, performing eight parabolas, out of the Kennedy
Space Center today. It was the first time Professor Hawking, the world's
leading expert on gravity, had an opportunity to experience zero gravity.
The ZERO-G ExperienceTM fight with Professor Hawking took off from the
Shuttle Landing Facility at the Kennedy Space Center in Central Florida.

"It was amazing. The zero-g part was wonderful," said Professor Stephen
Hawking. "I could have gone on and on -- space here I come!"

Hawking added, "I recommend the experience to everyone and I hope that many
will follow me and experience weightlessness. There are a few people and
organizations I would like to thank. First I'd like to thank Zero Gravity
Corporation, The Shaper Image and Peter Diamandis for arranging this for me.
Second, I'd like to thank Space Florida and the NASA Kennedy Space Center
for being my host. The Space Shuttle Landing Facility is the first step to
the moon and Mars. It is very special for me, to fly into weightlessness
from here."

"Professor Hawking's expression said it all -- the grins of sheer joy and
excitement he displayed were unmistakable and no different than the
giddiness and fun that all of our flyers experience," said Dr. Peter H.
Diamandis, CEO and Co-Founder of ZERO-G, "For me personally, and for all of
us at ZERO-G, it has been a complete honor and thrill to give Professor
Hawking this opportunity to fulfill one of his lifelong dreams."

Professor Hawking did not fly with his wheelchair, rather, he was placed
flat on his back, on the specially padded floor in the center of the large
open cabin at the start of each parabola. He then floated up into the
center of the cabin. ZERO-G co-founders Dr. Peter H. Diamandis (pictured
right [http://www.gozerog.com/images/Hawking_001.jpg (4.4MB)]), and
astronaut Byron Lichtenberg were positioned alongside of Hawking as he
floated weightless (pictured left) with the assistance of nurse practitioner
Nicola O'Brien, then carefully guide him slowly back down to the floor
during the return to normal gravity. The onboard flight's crew and staff
included four physicians, two of which are members of Hawking's own medical
team.

The Hawking flight was also organized as a benefit for several charitable
organizations, namely Easter Seals (www.easterseals.com); the Starlight
Starbright Children's Foundation (www.starlight.org); the X PRIZE Foundation
(www.xprize.org) and Augie's Quest (www.augiesquest.org). ZERO-G donated two
seats aboard the Hawking flight to each group, for them to then auction off.
Altogether, the charities raised $144,000, which included $75,000 raised by
the Starlight Starbright Children's Foundation for the two tickets it
auctioned on eBay. In addition to the flight itself, the donors and other
passengers that participated also enjoyed a Space Florida-sponsored dinner
and lecture by Professor Hawking at the JW Marriott in Orlando on Wednesday
evening, April 25.

In preparation for the actual flight, Zero Gravity Corporation scheduled a
training flight yesterday, Wednesday, April 25, 2007. The flight included
Professor Hawking's personal staff, medical team, a Hawking body-double and
ZERO-G's coaching team. Space Florida, the organization charged with
promoting commercial space in the state of Florida, served as the flight's
education sponsor and selected a Florida teacher and student to participate
in this experience.

Ted Straight, an 8th grader at Stone Middle School in Melbourne, FL of
similar height, weight and build as Professor Hawking, had the prestigious
honor of serving as Hawking's stand-in, or body-double, on yesterday's
training flight. Susan Harris, a teacher at Hill-Gustat Middle School in
Highlands County, FL, participated in both the training flight and the
flight with Professor Hawking, during which she served as a flight coach.
Harris is recording and sharing her experience on the Hawking flight via a
blog on the ZERO-G site -- www.gozerog.com .

Said Steve Kohler, Executive Director of Space Florida, "We are proud to be
a part of this unique event, as well as the sponsor of last night's
pre-flight dinner and lecture by Prof. Hawking. Florida has been the
aerospace leader in the past and through our partnerships with innovative
companies like ZERO-G, we will continue to be the global leader in space
research, development, exploration and commerce."

The Sharper Image, who co-sponsored this flight, recently announced that it
will be selling ZERO-G flights commercially through its 187 retail locations
nationwide. Individuals interested in purchasing seats can do so by visiting
The Sharper Image stores or website, or by going to www.gozerog.com .

Prof. Hawking's best selling books, "A Brief History of Time" and "Black
Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays" examines the basic laws, history
and future of the universe. Hawking is known for his contributions to the
fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, especially in the context of black
holes. He has also made public his interest in experiencing weightlessness,
and the importance of space as the next frontier for human population.

The ZERO-G Experience consists of a brief training session for flyers
(ZERO-G passengers) followed by a 90-minute flight aboard G-FORCE ONE,
during which parabolic maneuvers are performed. The controlled ascent and
descent of the plane allows flyers to experience gravity on Mars
(1/3-gravity); the moon (1/6-gravity); and in zero-g space. Since launching
its service to the general public in September 2004, the company has
conducted more than 100 weightless flights and flown more than 2,500
passengers, including celebrities and personalities, corporate charters,
science and math teachers, and individuals age 12 to 85.

G-FORCE ONE is a specially-modified, 35-passenger Boeing 727-200, and The
ZERO-G ExperienceTM is the only FAA-approved weightless flight experience
available to the general public. The weightless flights are similar to those
conducted by NASA for more than 40 years to train its astronauts. ZERO-G
was recently granted FAA approval to fly individuals with disabilities.
ZERO-G operates under the highest safety standards as set by the FAA
(Part-121) with its partner Amerijet International. Aircraft operations take
place under the same regulations set for commercial passenger airlines.

About ZERO-G

Zero Gravity Corporation (www.GoZeroG.com) is a privately held space
entertainment and tourism company whose mission is to make the excitement
and adventure of space accessible to the public. ZERO-G is based in Florida
and Las Vegas, Nevada, and is the first and only FAA-approved provider of
weightless flight to the general public, as well as the entertainment and
film industries; corporate and incentive market; non-profit research and
education sectors; and government. For more information about ZERO-G, please
visit http://www.GoZeroG.com or call (800) ZERO-G-800.

copy of email to Prof. Hawking-info. to be on the same page Thomas Walker Astronomy Misc 0 September 7th 06 09:22 AM
Stephen Hawking Pat Flannery History 8 June 16th 06 11:18 AM
Stephen Hawking MoFo Amateur Astronomy 4 June 16th 06 05:56 AM
Stephen Hawking awarded Smithson Medal Double-A Misc 1 February 22nd 05 12:19 PM
re stephen hawking refutation of big bang Arth6831 Misc 47 November 14th 03 08:27 AM