Daily Report #4809

Old March 12th 09, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4809

DAILY REPORT****** #4809

PERIOD COVERED: 5am March 11 - 5am March 12, 2009 (DOY
*************************** 070/1000z-071/1000z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/SBC 11980

Deep FUV Imaging of Cooling Flow Clusters

We propose to take deep ACS FUV images of a carefully selected sample
of 19 bright central galaxies in nearby galaxy clusters. This program
is the last critical element of a comprehensive investigation of the
impact of stellar and AGN feedback on the local galaxy cluster
environment. The HST images will complement new, high-resolution,
Halpha images obtained with the recently commissioned
Maryland-Magellan Tunable Filter (MMTF) on the Baade 6.5m telescope,
archival Chandra, VLA, and GALEX data, and on-going H2/NIR
observations. The MMTF data have revealed unsuspected filamentary
complexes in several systems. The GALEX data often show hints of
extended NUV and FUV emission on a similar scale, but their poor
spatial resolution prevents meaningful comparison with the MMTF data.
The HST data will provide this much needed gain in resolution. The
combined radio-H2-Halpha-FUV-X-ray dataset will allow us to derive
with unprecedented precision the role of the AGN, hot stars, shocks,
and relativistic particles on the excitation and thermodynamics of the
multi-phase intracluster and interstellar media in these systems. This
is an important question since the formation and evolution of most
cluster galaxies have likely been affected by these processes.

ACS/SBC 11982

Spanning the Reionization History of IGM Helium: a Large and Efficient
HST Spectral Survey of Far-UV-Bright Quasars

The reionization of IGM helium is thought to have occurred at
redshifts of z=3 to 4. Detailed studies of HeII Lyman-alpha absorption
toward a handful of QSOs at 2.7z3.3 demonstrated the high potential
of such IGM probes, but the small sample size and redshift range limit
confidence in cosmological inferences. The requisite unobscured
sightlines to high-z are extremely rare, but we've cross-correlated
10, 000 z2.8 SDSS DR7 (and other) quasars with GALEX GR4 UV sources
to obtain 550 new, high confidence, sightlines potentially useful for
HST HeII studies; and in cycle 15-16 trials we demonstrated the
efficacy of our SDSS/GALEX selection approach identifying 9 new HeII
quasars at unprecedented 67% efficiency. We propose the first
far-UV-bright HeII quasar survey that is both large in scale and also
efficient, via 2-orbit reconnaissance ACS/SBC prism spectra toward a
highly select subset of 40 new SDSS/GALEX quasars at 3.1z5.1. These
will provide a community resource list that includes 5 far-UV-bright
(restframe) HeII sightlines in each of 8 redshift bins spanning
3.1z3.9 (and perhaps several objects at z4), enabling superb
post-SM4 follow-up spectra with COS or STIS. But simultaneously and
independent of any SM4 uncertainties, we will hereby directly obtain
10-orbit UV spectral stacks from the 5 HeII quasars in each of the 8
redshift bins to trace the reionization history of IGM helium over at
least 3.1z3.9. These spectral stacks will average over cosmic
variance and individual object pathology. Our new high-yield HeII
sightline sample and spectral stacks, covering a large redshift range,
will allow confident conclusions about the spectrum and evolution of
the ionizing background, the evolution of HeII opacity, the density of
IGM baryons, and the epoch of helium reionization.

WFPC2 11201

Systemic and Internal Motions of the Magellanic Clouds: Third Epoch
Images

In Cycles 11 and 13 we obtained two epochs of ACS/HRC data for fields
in the Magellanic Clouds centered on background quasars. We used these
data to determine the proper motions of the LMC and SMC to better than
5% and 15% respectively. These are by far the best determinations of
the proper motions of these two galaxies. The results have a number of
unexpected implications for the Milky Way-LMC-SMC system. The implied
three-dimensional velocities are larger than previously believed, and
are not much less than the escape velocity in a standard 10^12 solar
mass Milky Way dark halo. Orbit calculations suggest the Clouds may
not be bound to the Milky Way or may just be on their first passage,
both of which would be unexpected in view of traditional
interpretations of the Magellanic Stream. Alternatively, the Milky Way
dark halo may be a factor of two more massive than previously
believed, which would be surprising in view of other observational
constraints. Also, the relative velocity between the LMC and SMC is
larger than expected, leaving open the possibility that the Clouds may
not be bound to each other. To further verify and refine our results
we now request an epoch of WFPC2/PC data for the fields centered on 40
quasars that have at least one epoch of ACS imaging. We request
execution in snapshot mode, as in our previous programs, to ensure the
most efficient use of HST resources. A third epoch of data of these
fields will provide crucial information to verify that there are no
residual systematic effects in our previous measurements. More
importantly, it will increase the time baseline from 2 to 5 yrs and
will increase the number of fields with at least two epochs of data.
This will reduce our uncertainties correspondingly, so that we can
better address whether the Clouds are indeed bound to each other and
to the Milky Way. It will also allow us to constrain the internal
motions of various populations within the Clouds, and will allow us to
determine a distance to the LMC using rotational parallax.

WFPC2 11978

Luminous and Dark Matter in Disk Galaxies from Strong Lensing and
Stellar Kinematics

The formation of realistic disk galaxies within the LCDM paradigm is
still an unsolved problem. Theory is only now beginning to make
predictions for how dark matter halos respond to galaxy formation and
for the properties of disk galaxies. Measuring the density profiles of
dark matter halos on galaxy scales is therefore a strong test for the
standard paradigm of galaxy formation, offering great potential for
discovery. However, from an observational point of view, the
degeneracy between the stellar and dark matter contributions to galaxy
rotation curves remains a major road block. Strong gravitational
lensing, when coupled to spatially-resolved kinematics and stellar
population models, can solve this long-standing problem.
Unfortunately, this joint methodology could not be exploited so far
due to the paucity of known edge-on spiral lenses. Exploiting the full
SDSS-DR7 archive we have identified a new sample of exactly these
systems. We propose multi-color HST imaging to confirm and measure a
sample of twenty spiral lenses, covering a range of bulge to disk
ratios. By combining dynamical lensing and stellar population
information for this unique sample we will deliver the first
statistical constraints on halos and disk properties, and a new
stringent test of disk galaxy formation theories.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

11716 - At 070/23:00:51, GSAcq (1,2,1) scheduled from 070/22:55:15 -
23:03:19 failed to RGA Hold due to Search Radius Limit Exceeded error
on FGS-1

Observations affected: ACS 3, Proposal ID# 11980.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

18407-1 - Restore FSW FSCMAT to 6 arc-seconds @ 070/1906Z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

*********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSAcq************** 06***************** 05
FGS REAcq************** 06***************** 06
OBAD with Maneuver **** 26***************** 26

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

FLASH REPORT - FSCMAT restoration:

Ops Request# 18407 was completed at 2009.070/19:07 to restore the FSW
Coarse Mode Angle Threshold to the usual 6 a-s.

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 05:17 PM
DAILY REPORT #3906 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 21st 05 03:16 PM
DAILY REPORT #3905 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:48 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM