Dnepr launch fails

Old July 26th 06, 10:43 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default Dnepr launch fails

This was the same booster that just ten days ago carried Genesis-1.

Boy, did THEY didge a space bullet!

Russian news story at http://www.gazeta.ru/2006/07/27/last209612.shtml

time: Moscow, 00:14 [GMT 20:14]

Engines off at 86 seconds, during second stage firing -- this
surprises me, I thought first stage lasted a bit longer.

nothing on the Kosmotras site
http://www.kosmotras.ru/
Old July 26th 06, 11:40 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Didge or dodge, this launch
looks scary -- because the rocket
was headed south when it fell back,
perhaps near the residential or industrial
area...

Old July 28th 06, 01:21 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Jim Oberg wrote:
Didge or dodge, this launch
looks scary -- because the rocket
was headed south when it fell back,
perhaps near the residential or industrial
area...

We're all headed south, Jim...oh, you mean the azimuth!

Got any Google Earth pushpins for this?

/dps

Old July 28th 06, 01:32 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

snidely wrote:
Jim Oberg wrote:
Didge or dodge, this launch
looks scary -- because the rocket
was headed south when it fell back,
perhaps near the residential or industrial
area...

We're all headed south, Jim...oh, you mean the azimuth!

Got any Google Earth pushpins for this?

A starting place is
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Number=507333

/dps

Old July 28th 06, 03:52 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

They SAY it fell far to the south, near the Uzbek border...

the original '25 kilometers' number referred to the
downrange point when the booster failed -- it was already
high and fast at that point and kept going.