Six times the fun for twice the price. . .

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10th 03, 01:08 AM
Tom Merkle

Default Six times the fun for twice the price. . .

I wonder how Elon Musk slipped this one under the radar. According to
this article:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/70/1

Elon Musk says the follow on to Falcon I will be a vehicle called
Falcon 5, which will essentially use 5 clustered Merlin engines
(Falcon I uses 1) in a Saturn-V like configuration, with an additional
Merlin on the upper stage. Musk claims this configuration will cost
approximately $12 mil to launch. That compared to the Falcon 1 at $6
mil. By my reckoning, that means Musk anticipates launching Falcon 5,
which has 6 Merlins on it, and presumably some other complex design
differences too, for only twice the price of Falcon I.

Does anybody see any way this makes any kind of sense?

Tom Merkle

Nexus Rocket Engine Test Successful; 10 Times More Thrust Than Deep Space 1 Engine and Lasts 3 Times Longer (10 years) [email protected] Technology 5 December 30th 03 07:44 PM
NY Times Accuracy? stmx3 Space Shuttle 5 September 20th 03 03:27 PM
NY Times Accuracy? stmx3 Policy 4 September 20th 03 08:43 AM
Hubble images being colorized to enhance their appeal for public - LA Times Rusty B Policy 4 September 15th 03 10:38 AM
Dittemore said if shuttle crippled nothing could be done - LA Times erroneously reports Kent Betts Space Shuttle 0 July 5th 03 11:39 AM