Lack of Diversity

Old January 16th 20, 05:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Lack of Diversity

I'm thinking you should rename this newsgroup from sci.space.policy to
sci.space.jfmeziqanda

If it weren't for Mr. Mezi's questions there wouldn't be any traffic in
this group at all. I think he deserves some credit for keeping the group
alive, I'm only half suggesting the group rename in jest.

Fred McCall used to give "Mayfly" a lot of grief, but Fred is gone now,
and I doubt Mary Shafer or Henry Spencer will be back any time soon.

I guess that those of us who keep reading here should thank JF Mezei for
keeping it going, although most of his questions are technical in nature
not policy oriented. Begs the question as to whether sci.space.tech
ought to still be moderated I suppose.

Such is the evolution of newsgroups vs web sites. Moore's the pity...
(Pun intended).

Dave
Old January 17th 20, 12:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

I'm thinking you should rename this newsgroup from sci.space.policy to
sci.space.jfmeziqanda

If it weren't for Mr. Mezi's questions there wouldn't be any traffic in
this group at all. I think he deserves some credit for keeping the group
alive, I'm only half suggesting the group rename in jest.

Fred McCall used to give "Mayfly" a lot of grief, but Fred is gone now,
and I doubt Mary Shafer or Henry Spencer will be back any time soon.

I guess that those of us who keep reading here should thank JF Mezei for
keeping it going, although most of his questions are technical in nature
not policy oriented. Begs the question as to whether sci.space.tech
ought to still be moderated I suppose.

Such is the evolution of newsgroups vs web sites. Moore's the pity...
(Pun intended).

Somehow I wasn't subscribed to sci.space.tech! WTF?

Now that I subscribed, I see threads that are literally years old. Doh!

Jeff
Old January 17th 20, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Jan/16/2020 at 11:59, David Spain wrote :
I'm thinking you should rename this newsgroup from sci.space.policy to
sci.space.jfmeziqanda

If it weren't for Mr. Mezi's questions there wouldn't be any traffic in
this group at all. I think he deserves some credit for keeping the group
alive, I'm only half suggesting the group rename in jest.

I agree, about Mr Mezei's deserving credit, not about the rename :-)
I sometime try to get discussions going on. I started the "What to
expect" thread on Dec 30th with a subject that was intentionally very
open with the hope that it would foster discussion. But I'm in no way as
successful as Mr Mezei in doing so.

Fred McCall used to give "Mayfly" a lot of grief, but Fred is gone now,
and I doubt Mary Shafer or Henry Spencer will be back any time soon.

An other one I miss is Frank Crary but he's been away for quite some
time now.

I guess that those of us who keep reading here should thank JF Mezei for
keeping it going, although most of his questions are technical in nature
not policy oriented. Begs the question as to whether sci.space.tech
ought to still be moderated I suppose.

I really have no problems about his questions not being policy oriented.
This group is de facto the sci.space newsgroup. There really isn't any
reason any more for sci.space to be split.

Alain Fournier
Old January 21st 20, 01:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

I really have no problems about his questions not being policy oriented.
This group is de facto the sci.space newsgroup. There really isn't any
reason any more for sci.space to be split.

This. Since policy isn't moderated, it is the default space group I
post to.

I was around for the split (don't think I voted on it though). Today's
traffic clearly would not warrant a split.

Jeff

I seem to recall voting against the split also.

And if any does care, sci.space.tech and .science are still actively
moderated. Simply no one posts there.

I've tried to lure back a few of the regulars to sci.space.policy, but no
joy.

We do need more life people though.

Open to suggestions on how to recruit useful traffic.

No idea. People these days prefer web forums, Facebook Groups, and
Twitter (myself included). I hang around here mostly because of
nostalgia and because I still like to post. ASCII is an interesting
constraint.

Jeff
Old January 22nd 20, 01:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dean Markley

On 2020-01-20 20:18, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

Open to suggestions on how to recruit useful traffic.

Insulting people who come here to ask questions does not help getting
people coming here regularly.

While I agree somewhat on the insults, there are also times when people post with an agenda. In such cases, when presented with facts, some folks tend to view any opposition to their opinions as insults.
Old January 23rd 20, 02:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

On 2020-01-20 20:18, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

Open to suggestions on how to recruit useful traffic.

Insulting people who come here to ask questions does not help getting
people coming here regularly.

There is some validity to that, but the bigger issue honestly is...

getting people here in the first place.
VERY few people still realize Usenet exists in any form and if they know
anything, they think of it as Google newsgroups (or whatever it is now) and
most ISPs don't over a separate way of accessing it and there are few if any
decent clients.

So really the bigger problem is getting people here in the first place.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/