If not Iridium Flare, them what?

Old August 13th 07, 08:41 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Albert[_3_]

Default If not Iridium Flare, them what?

Last night (12/8) at 2215 BST (a few minutes after the ISS pass) I saw what
looked for all the world like an Iridium Flare at about Mag -1 in the east
at about 60 degs alt. It was at max brightness when I first noticed it and
then gradually faded away heading North.

Checking Heavens Above for my location in Crawley, West Sussex showed none
for that time (2344 was the only one). So if it was not an IF, what else
might it have been? A retired Iridium Satellite perhaps?

Old August 13th 07, 09:47 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Wendy Tinley

In article , Albert writes
Last night (12/8) at 2215 BST (a few minutes after the ISS pass) I saw what
looked for all the world like an Iridium Flare at about Mag -1 in the east
at about 60 degs alt. It was at max brightness when I first noticed it and
then gradually faded away heading North.

Checking Heavens Above for my location in Crawley, West Sussex showed none
for that time (2344 was the only one). So if it was not an IF, what else
might it have been? A retired Iridium Satellite perhaps?

My understanding is that there are some Iridium Satellite's orbits that
have become unpredictable... that is probably not the correct
description and I hope someone can correct me.

Anyway Heavens Above will only publish the data of orbiting Iridiums
that they are sure about... so it likely you will observe an Iridium
Flare that is not predicted on HA website.

I hope I *am* correct...
--
Wendy Tinley

http://www.theigloo.co.uk/
Old August 13th 07, 10:35 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pd

Wendy Tinley wrote:

In article , Albert writes
Last night (12/8) at 2215 BST (a few minutes after the ISS pass) I saw what
looked for all the world like an Iridium Flare at about Mag -1 in the east
at about 60 degs alt. It was at max brightness when I first noticed it and
then gradually faded away heading North.

Checking Heavens Above for my location in Crawley, West Sussex showed none
for that time (2344 was the only one). So if it was not an IF, what else
might it have been? A retired Iridium Satellite perhaps?

My understanding is that there are some Iridium Satellite's orbits that
have become unpredictable... that is probably not the correct
description and I hope someone can correct me.

Anyway Heavens Above will only publish the data of orbiting Iridiums
that they are sure about... so it likely you will observe an Iridium
Flare that is not predicted on HA website.

The first time I ever looked for Iridium flashes, I saw one about a
minute too early, and not in quite the right place. A minute later the
predicted flash occurred. When I checked, there was a booster stage from
a Russian rocket at the right time and place - I was just lucky to have
been in the right place to catch a reflection off some flat panel on the
booster.

--
Pd
Old August 13th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Williams

Wasn't it Albert who wrote:
Last night (12/8) at 2215 BST (a few minutes after the ISS pass) I saw what
looked for all the world like an Iridium Flare at about Mag -1 in the east
at about 60 degs alt. It was at max brightness when I first noticed it and
then gradually faded away heading North.

Checking Heavens Above for my location in Crawley, West Sussex showed none
for that time (2344 was the only one). So if it was not an IF, what else
might it have been? A retired Iridium Satellite perhaps?

There are lots of satellites that can flare. The Iridium flares are the
only ones that you hear much about because they happen to be
predictable. The orientation of other satellites is not known in advance
with sufficient accuracy to determine the point on the ground that is
illuminated by the light reflected off their panels.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure