specs of laptops

Old April 26th 04, 05:18 PM
Stuart Turrell

Default specs of laptops

I take it by reading a thread "LX90 First Light (longish)", most people here
have a laptop to go out with to do star gazing.

I have one too, its a 700Mhz one, capable of running my starry night
software slowly, but one concern i have about using that with (hopefully my
LX90), is the light, is there sotware out there to run programs a shade of
red.

Also, what are the specs of your laptops?

stuart

Old April 26th 04, 05:28 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:18:37 +0100, "Stuart Turrell"
wrote:

I take it by reading a thread "LX90 First Light (longish)", most people here
have a laptop to go out with to do star gazing.

I have one too, its a 700Mhz one, capable of running my starry night
software slowly, but one concern i have about using that with (hopefully my
LX90), is the light, is there sotware out there to run programs a shade of
red.

Is that the newest version of Starry Night? My older version runs
perfectly well on an old 266Mhz machine! Starry night (or the older
versions) had that wonderful gamma ramping facility IIRC Settings --
Night Vision. This was particularly good (if your graphics card
supports it) because it changes *all* colours to a shade of red - not
just the Windows colour scheme which leaves with a burningly bright
cursor along with a few minor window building blocks.

Also, what are the specs of your laptops?

My astro one is an old Compaq Armada running at 600MHz with a 12Gb
hard disk.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old April 26th 04, 05:50 PM
Stuart Turrell

i have starry night pro plus 4.5, but i also have a copy of 3.12 thnks to
whatever pc magazine it was!

I have a compaq armada too, i have not got it with me but i think its 600mhz
(something like that) maybe even 700mhz.

Old April 26th 04, 06:03 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:51:24 +0100, "Stuart Turrell"
wrote:

so do you steer your scope by the software,

Wash your mouth out ;-) !

or just use the software for reference?

Just for general planning really.
Old April 26th 04, 06:41 PM
Dre

lol!!

I use a very slow laptop compared to my desktop, probably about 266Mhz/160MB
ram/4GB but I doubt many people need powerful computers for their work. My
laptop is a Toshiba and very robust - good for outdoors as I have to keep
opening/closing the lid frequently (I also use it to type stuff at
university). I run Redshift on it (dunno what version) and right now trying
to get all these new programs on it like K2CCDtools, registax, astrostack
etc for astrophotography.

Dre

Old April 26th 04, 07:27 PM
Chris Taylor

""Also, what are the specs of your laptops?""

An older Celestron 800Mhz

"""but one concern i have about using that with ............is the light,"""

I only use it when taking pictures, usually of the brighter stuff; no need
for night vision at this time.

Regards

Chris

Old April 26th 04, 09:22 PM
The Great Cornholio

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:27:01 +0100, "Chris Taylor"
wrote:

""Also, what are the specs of your laptops?""

An older Celestron 800Mhz

Telescopes and processors! There's a diverse company
Old April 26th 04, 10:30 PM
mike ring

"Stuart Turrell" wrote in
:

I have one too, its a 700Mhz one, capable of running my starry night
software slowly, but one concern i have about using that with
(hopefully my LX90), is the light, is there sotware out there to run
programs a shade of red.

I dont know if the punters here know of it, but I'll risk looking a prawn;

a prog I find very handy, even though I don't take my puter out at night is
Gamma Panel.

My LCD screen is very bright, but awkward to quickly adjust for different
ambient lighting, - this prog gives me instantly switchable profiles, and
has separate RGB controls, so you should be able to red it up.

From

http://www.stars.benchmark.pl/index.php?show=gapa

free - of course

mike r
Old April 27th 04, 05:32 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Stuart Turrell wrote:
is there sotware out there to run programs a shade of red.

Niteview. http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~oliver/niteview/

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +