Here's a whacky idea...

Old March 3rd 04, 05:49 AM
JazzMan

Default Here's a whacky idea...

.... what would it take to turn ISS into an interplanetary
craft? Engines, fuel, supplies, more fuel, more supplies,
etc? It is designed for long periods of habitability at
a time, seems like that's a big part of endurance space
travel. Nuclear ion engines? How far/how fast could it
go on those? Shielding for the Belts?

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old March 3rd 04, 08:08 AM
Kent Betts

"JazzMan"
Shielding for the [Van Allen] Belts?

I wuz with ya up to here, where it got a little too wacky, or as Hallerb
would say, to wacky.

Old March 3rd 04, 08:19 AM
GCGassaway

Jazzman wrote:

.... what would it take to turn ISS into an interplanetary craft? Engines, fuel,
supplies, more fuel, more supplies, etc? It is designed for long periods of
habitability at a time, seems like that's a big part of endurance space
travel. Nuclear ion engines? How far/how fast could it go on those? Shielding
for the Belts?

Here’s a plan that’s 5 years overdue*. Stock all of the Earth’s used uranium on
the far side of the moon. Have a lunar colony on the moon. One day, defying all
laws of physics, the uranium storage not only blows up ('cuz uranium in storage
can detonate just as easily as black powder, dont'cha know?). But rather than
destroying the moon (must be made out of kevlar-reinforced rubber, not cheese),
the explosion knocks it out of orbit, at faster than light speed, while the
lunar colony and its ships remain intact. The explosion is so perfectly aligned
it doesn't even affect the moon's spin rate. The moon makes it to distant
galaxies in a few months or so. So the moon becomes an interplanetary mother
ship.....

Sorry, it hurts to try to think of more details of that rotten premise*.

- George Gassaway

Box sco
* Space-1999, Sci-fi fans - 0

Old March 3rd 04, 01:08 PM
Hallerb

... what would it take to turn ISS into an interplanetary
craft? Engines, fuel, supplies, more fuel, more supplies,
etc? It is designed for long periods of habitability at

Since it requires constant resupply and repairs. has lots of breakdowns, and
lacks structural strength as well as radiation shielding the most it will ever
do is go round and round, unless were lucky and itr gets safely deorbited.

Then we can use the money for something useful.........
Old March 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Brian Gaff

Hum, think it might have a few rigidity problems, and resonance's,
but if
you are thinking of making something similar to save money, well, maybe.

As for shielding... hmm, not sure how you could do that...
Brian

Email:
__________________________________

http://www.grisoft.com).

Old March 5th 04, 11:24 PM
hop

JazzMan wrote in message ...
... what would it take to turn ISS into an interplanetary
craft? Engines, fuel, supplies, more fuel, more supplies,
etc? It is designed for long periods of habitability at
a time, seems like that's a big part of endurance space
travel. Nuclear ion engines? How far/how fast could it
go on those? Shielding for the Belts?

You mean something like this concept ?
http://www.energia.ru/english/energia/mars/concept.html

Trying to ISS itself would be stupid. Using ISS derived systems might
not be. Current ISS stays are around 6mo, which is roughly the transit
time to mars. Obviously you would need to take along more supplies and
spares, but many of the basic systems should usable with little or no
change.
Old March 6th 04, 02:36 AM
Hallerb

Obviously you would need to take along more supplies and
spares, but many of the basic systems should usable with little or no
change.

To keep costs down and minimize extra stuff needed closing the environmental
loop would be very useful