Multispectral LED lighting is a disaster for amateur astronomers

Old November 27th 15, 03:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Multispectral LED lighting is a disaster for amateur astronomers

Davoud:
... no one should be surprised if a Swede (e.g.)
knows more about what's happening in Estonia than an American does.

Paul Schlyter:
Not even swedes know much about what happens in Estonia, we know much
more about what happens in the USA. Perhaps that's some kind of
caution, since it's more likely that the USA would bomb us than that
Estonia would do that...

In my experience the Swedes know a lot about the U.S. because New York
is a favorite shopping destination for them. That and warm Florida are
why our friends from Hedemora and Göteborg come here so often.

As for bombing, if we didn't bomb Sweden for straddling the line in
WWII (a rather curious implementation of so-called neutrality), I think
you have little to worry about from us in the future.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old November 27th 15, 05:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 8:29:05 AM UTC-7, Davoud wrote:

As for bombing, if we didn't bomb Sweden for straddling the line in
WWII (a rather curious implementation of so-called neutrality), I think
you have little to worry about from us in the future.

Lend-Lease, although something the civilized world is profoundly grateful for,
could be considered "a rather curious implementation of so-called neutrality"
as well.

The United States, though, was big and powerful enough that they could get away
with it - Hitler wouldn't _want_ to bring it into the fight any further (and
then Japan spoiled it all...).

Sweden was in a rather different position, and had to worry about the Nazis not
respecting their neutrality (just as they didn't respect Belgium's, to get
around the Maginot Line) and so instead of being able to push, they got pushed.

John Savard
Old November 27th 15, 06:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 11:17:10 PM UTC-7, Paul Schlyter wrote:
Perhaps that's some kind of
caution, since it's more likely that the USA would bomb us than that
Estonia would do that...

Well, it's certainly true that the U.S. has more bombs than Estonia.

Unlike Sweden, Finland fails to recognize the Sami (formerly known as the
Lapps) as an indigenous people. I have figured out a reasonable explanation for
that; the Sami language is closely related to both Finnish and Estonian; thus,
to recognize the Sami as an indigenous people would be to imply that the Finns
themselves are also an "indigenous people", and as the self-governing people of
a modern democratic nation, they find that a bit much.

So I could see friction between Finland and Sweden over such matters, with Estonia somehow dragged in - but there are too many ties between your two countries.

Thus, one of Finland's best-loved singers spoke Swedish as her first language because she was among many Finnish children brought to Sweden for safety during the War;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjNJ9M9hc4

other Finnish popular singers are apparently ethnic Swedes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUKBRDsOus
(this is even a Finnish-language cover of a Swedish song, "Var Det Du")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTn9iTHrp4Q
(and, by another artist in this category, a Rolling Stones cover)

John Savard
Old November 27th 15, 06:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 11:12:44 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUKBRDsOus
(this is even a Finnish-language cover of a Swedish song, "Var Det Du")

And the singer's name is Anki _Lindqvist_, which wasn't noted on that page.

John Savard
Old November 28th 15, 06:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Back around when the US gained its independence, both Finland and
Estonia belonged to Sweden. Back then, our capital Stockholm was in
the middle of the country rather than near its eastern border.
Old November 28th 15, 06:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:15:23 -0500, None wrote:
Not even swedes know much about what happens in Estonia, we know

much
more about what happens in the USA. Perhaps that's some kind of
caution, since it's more likely that the USA would bomb us than

that
Estonia would do that...

You should keep on your toes....Although there is nothing you have
that we would want...Nothing

Why don't you tell that to those prominent US researchers and authors
who travel to Stockholm to receiver their Nobel prizes? You just
claimed that they don't want those prizes, so why do they come here
and receive them? It's not just about the money, it's also about the
reputation.

However, I must give the US one acknowledgement: your country is the
only country in the world where (slightly) more chemical elements
have been discovered than in Sweden...
Old November 28th 15, 03:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

None:
You should keep on your toes....Although there is nothing you have
that we would want...Nothing

Paul Schlyter:
Why don't you tell that to those prominent US researchers and authors
who travel to Stockholm to receiver their Nobel prizes? You just
claimed that they don't want those prizes, so why do they come here
and receive them? It's not just about the money, it's also about the
reputation.

I could be wrong; I don't know who "None" is and I do not speak for
her/him. But I think that s/he had tongue in cheek and was not
intending to denigrate Sweden. Thinking people are aware of Sweden's
outsized achievements in the arts and sciences. Some of us have even
heard of ABBA, Alfvén, Söderman, et al.; Dag Hammarskjöld; and Nobel,
among others. Carl von Linné is a particular favorite of mine. Stieg
Larsson is not entirely unknown here, either.

However, I must give the US one acknowledgement: your country is the
only country in the world where (slightly) more chemical elements
have been discovered than in Sweden...

You are entirely too kind and effusive in your praise of the USA's
insignificant technological accomplishments.

Old November 28th 15, 05:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Davoud wrote:
None:
[...]

And got those of us in Britain there are Swedish and Danish crime
programmes on Saturday nights with subtitles.

Old November 29th 15, 01:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Saturday, 28 November 2015 18:12:01 UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

And got those of us in Britain there are Swedish and Danish crime
programmes on Saturday nights with subtitles.

I am [occasionally] deeply worried that my knowledge of the US is almost entirely based on US TV crime series, films, forum postings and occasional news stories. On that basis I can easily see why Americans spend so much time praying for forgiveness. ;ř]]
Old November 29th 15, 01:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Chris.B wrote:
On Saturday, 28 November 2015 18:12:01 UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

And got those of us in Britain there are Swedish and Danish crime
programmes on Saturday nights with subtitles.

I am [occasionally] deeply worried that my knowledge of the US is almost
entirely based on US TV crime series, films, forum postings and
occasional news stories. On that basis I can easily see why Americans
spend so much time praying for forgiveness. ;ř]]

I have been to Norway and Sweden on business visits and don't base my views
on the Nordic countries on Wallander or The Bridge. Unfortunately my only
experience of Denmark is Copenhagen airport and the bridge to Malmo. I
found the bridge to be a magnificent work of engineering and extremely
boring.