A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Others » Astro Pictures
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

NGC 6786 and UGC 11415

Old November 26th 15, 08:42 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Feb 2008
Default NGC 6786 and UGC 11415

NGC 6786 and UGC 11415 are a pair of interacting galaxies in eastern Draco just west of Tau Draconis which gave me fits and casts the nasty glare into the eastern side of my image. The pair is listed as VV414. They are about 340 million light-years distant by redshift and 350 million light-years away according to the HST website. This may be a rounding difference. The southern galaxy, NGC 6786. It is classified as a SB? Sy1 galaxy by NED and SBbc by the NGC project and SBbc? by Cseligman. No one gave it a "pec" label. It was discovered by Lewis Swift on October 3, 1886. I measure its size as a bit over 100,000 light-years. That is helped by the drawing out of the arms due to interaction with UGC 11415. The CPCG says of it: "Distorted blue spiral, one pronounced and one washed-out arm." The UGC adds "Thin bright arm in direction of UGC 11415.

UGC 11415 is listed at NED as S? Sy2. Including the long arm to the north it too is about 100,000 light-years in diameter. It is listed in the CPCG as a "Blue distorted spiral." While the UGC adds the adjective diffuse to that description. A blue field-star makes seeing its core area details rather difficult at my resolution.

This pair has been imaged by the HST. Their take on them can be seen at: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...8/16/image/ai/ which shows a "little" more detail than I was able to capture.

What surprised me when I went to research this one was how many different objects can be purchased with this pair's HST image on them. One site alone lists 109 different objects ranging from a lunch pail to lockets to a tie and just about anything else you can think of though not a lap top computer. But you can get the image on tablet and cell-phone-covers. http://www.zazzle.com/hubble+interac...ngc+6786+gifts For an HST image was wasn't familiar with it sure gets around.

Being far north and in the summer skies these two were the only galaxies in NED with redshift values in the field. In fact the rather large low surface brightness possible spiral south of the pair and third largest galaxy, in angular size, in the image isn't listed at NED at all except as an ultraviolet source (not a galaxy) as recorded by the GALEX satellite. It is LEDA 214717 according to SIMBAD and according to The Sky's database is listed at magnitude 18.4. I found nothing else on it. So no annotated image was prepared.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6786L5X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	5992  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6786L5X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	5993  

Last edited by WA0CKY : November 26th 15 at 08:48 PM.