nefarious Pentagon plans to rule the universe

Old September 15th 03, 04:49 PM
James Oberg

Default nefarious Pentagon plans to rule the universe

For amusement, see
http://inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=336_0_3_0_C
for nefarious Pentagon plans to rule the universe.

Old September 15th 03, 06:09 PM
MattWriter

For amusement, see
http://inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=336_0_3_0_C
for nefarious Pentagon plans to rule the universe. BRBR

I'd be more afraid of the Pentagon ruling the universe if it could get a single
military space program accomplished naywhere near the original schedule,
budget, and performance specs.

Matt Bille
)
OPINIONS IN ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR
Old September 16th 03, 04:38 AM
Misguided Hairball

For amusement, see
http://inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=336_0_3_0_C
for nefarious Pentagon plans to rule the universe.

That why they make the big bucks.

He worries about a situation where "an adversary chooses to leverage the Global
Positioning System or perhaps the Galileo constellation
to attack American forces with precision."

Sooner or later someone will have to do that. GPS is too useful as a guidance
system to do otherwise.

On a different topic, this bin Laden thing has been weird from day one. He is
portrayed as a cunning, diabolical genius of terrorism. I don't think the facts
support this....he gets too much credit.

Sure, he spread some money around, gave away some horses, talked up the idea of
the US as Satan. But the 911 plan wasn't his. Atta was an architecture
graduate. He has a flash of insight. Instead of planting a car bomb in the
WTC, which was an attempt to bring down the building that failed, Atta figures
he can run a plane into it.

He goes to bin Laden and tells him the plan. Osama figures, apt rent, flying
lessons....about a half million dollars, maybe one million on the outside. So
he tells Atta ok, you plan it, I'll see that you get expense money. Then boom.
Osama is thinking holy ****, Atta did it.

The point is that Atta is a private operator who scored big. He is not in the
same league as a state-sponsored organization.

Old September 16th 03, 03:26 PM
Gene DiGennaro

"James Oberg" wrote in message ...
For amusement, see
http://inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=336_0_3_0_C
for nefarious Pentagon plans to rule the universe.

I like the part where O'Keefe says every NASA mission will have a dual
use. So what else is new? Apollo's moon mission was a classic case of
Cold War strategy. Even unmanned space probes, while greatly
enhancing planetary science, were a demonstration of US imaging
capabilities. USA's potential enemies could extrapolate the
capabilities of spysats through analyzing images and data from NASA's
unclassified spacecraft. This was part of the intent no doubt.
The same is true, I believe, of Ballard's quest to find the Titanic.
It was intended to show the USSR that her sunken subs would be found.

I personally don't have a problem with NASA's dual role. Apollo and
Voyager/Pioneer/Viking were incredible feats and fascinating to me. I
was/am very proud of the fact that each of those spacecraft carried
the Stars and Stripes.

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore,Md. USA
Old September 16th 03, 09:48 PM
gmw

A nefarious plan would have a budget, goals, and a time table. All of which
would be a vast improvement over the current situation.

Old September 17th 03, 03:46 AM
Misguided Hairball

"$300 billion a year. Does not include the price of an actual war."

I thought nefarious meant sneaky. Was I ever wrong.

nefarious: Wicked in the extreme; abominable; iniquitous; atrociously
villainous; execrable; detestably vile. Syn. -- Iniquitous; detestable;
horrible; heinious; atrocious; infamous; impious