Help wanted for wiring of EQ3-2 RA Drive DIN plug

Old July 29th 03, 01:28 PM
Paul

Default Help wanted for wiring of EQ3-2 RA Drive DIN plug

I have managed to have an accident with my mount that resulted in the cable
to the RA drive snapping at the 5 Pin DIN plug that connects the controller
to the motor. I have dissasembled the broken plug but unfortunately a
couple of the wires had come out which means I can't identify where they all
went. I am waiting for some information from a couple of the well known
dealers but am desperate to fix this before Friday when I am going to
Scarborough's AstroFest for the weekend.

Does anyone have this information, or know where I can get it ? Internet
searches have proved fruitless so far.

Thanks for any help

Paul

(remove "clouds" before replying directly)

Old July 30th 03, 08:46 AM
phonon

"Graham W" wrote in message
Jeroen Smaal wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
I have managed to have an accident with my mount that resulted in
the cable to the RA drive snapping at the 5 Pin DIN plug that
connects the controller to the motor. I have dissasembled the
broken plug but unfortunately a couple of the wires had come out
which means I can't identify where they all went.
(remove "clouds" before replying directly)

Hi Paul,

Looking at the front of the DIN plug, the pinout is:

(3) Grey
(2) Yellow (4) Brown

(1) Shield (5) Red

I'm assuming these colors are standardized. The 4 signal wires are
connected to a row of 4 pins marked A B B' A' inside the control box
in the following way:

A - pin 5 (red)
B - pin 3 (grey)
B' - pin 2 (yellow)
A' - pin 4 (brown)

The front of the DIN plug that Jeroen has shown is not the standard
numbering.

It is usually :

(2)
(4) (5)
(1) (3)

This covers the numbering of both three and five pin DIN plugs.

HTH

--
Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial

Looking at what I salvaged from the broken plug and reading both these posts
I gather that the colour sequence is correct, Jeroen labelled them as it
appears looking at the front of the DIN plug and Graham has added the DIN
numbering sequence which isn't apparent (or perhaps logical ! ) from just
looking at the plug. The DIN plug I bought from Maplin has the pins
labelled on the inside , not the outside, but the information all matches,
so I am confident. My soldering iron is now plugged in and will be ready in
a few mins !

Thank you both very much for your help, this is an example of one of the
major benefits of this newsgroup with people helping each other in a common
interest. All I need now is for clear skies this weekend in the very dark
Dalby forest where I will be camping at this years Scarborough AS Starfest.

Thanks again,

Paul

Old July 30th 03, 09:04 AM
Dazzer

"Paul" wrote in message
I have managed to have an accident with my mount that resulted in the

cable
to the RA drive snapping at the 5 Pin DIN plug that connects the

controller
to the motor. I have dissasembled the broken plug but unfortunately a

erm .. on a slightly worrying note .. for me at least ... my RA/DEC drive
doesn't have a din plug .. is has two kinda phone plug/sockets to connect
the handset to the motors ... is this normal or have i been sold a cheap (i
wish it was) imitation product ??

Old July 30th 03, 06:32 PM
Jeroen Smaal

"Graham W" wrote in message
Jeroen Smaal wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Of course you're correct.
I just happened to have the control box near me at the moment. Since I did
not have the "official" pin numbering at hand and it's not important as long
as the colors are connected to the right pins, I thought I should just post
them.

Jeroen.

Old July 30th 03, 06:53 PM
Graham

Mine's the same - I'd assume that it's just a later / earlier version of
the same.

On a different note, one of the drive flexible connector tubes on mine
has broken - any idea where I can get a replacement please?

Thanks

G.