Book for Constructing Dobsonian Mounts

Old July 21st 06, 07:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
A. Pismo Clam

Default Book for Constructing Dobsonian Mounts

Hello All,

Does anyone know if such a book exists, even in e-book fashion?

I've tried B&N, Amazon and Border's with no success.

All suggestions will be most gratefully received!

Alain...Palomar Mountain
Old July 21st 06, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen[_1_]

The Dobsonian Telescope: A Practical Manual for Building Large Aperture
Telescopes (Hardcover) by David Kriege and Richard Berry

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094...e=UTF8&s=books

Build Your Own Telescope by Richard Berry
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094...e=UTF8&s=books

I hope these links from Amazon work... In any event, it appears that they
have the Kriege/Berry book, or they can arrange purchase of a used Berry
book...
--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3

Old July 22nd 06, 06:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Hello All,

Does anyone know if such a book exists, even in e-book fashion?

I've tried B&N, Amazon and Border's with no success.

All suggestions will be most gratefully received!

Try the specialized publishers, like Sky & Telescope
or Willman-Bell.

While there are lots of books out there (I too like
Berry's books), my main reference when I built a
Dob a few years ago was looking at pictures.

I got the optics from the local Synta distributor,
bought the sonotube, plywood and assorted hard-
ware from a local building supply store, made the
mirror cell from an article in Sky & Telescope, bought
an offcut of sheet teflon from a local industrial plastic
supplier, and scrounged a couple of 16mm movie film
cans (a Berry suggestion) from a local photography
store's junk bin to use as side bearings. It works fine,
as reported in this very forum (do a search for "A Dob
is Born").

Like many of the best ideas, how a Dob works is
blindingly obvious - but only after John Dobson
thought of it.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce