Near Earth Asteroid Alert: 4179 Toutatis approaches...

Old August 26th 04, 07:45 PM
AA Institute

Default Near Earth Asteroid Alert: 4179 Toutatis approaches...

According to the ephemeris in my BAA Handbook, this object is going to
*brush* past the Earth at just 1 million miles ( 0.015 AUs) at
closest approach in late September, and reach an impressive magnitude
of +7.1

Anyone know of any pre-prepared charts that can be used to track the
approach? I think its around magnitude 11.6 at the moment. Here's some
background from a previous close approach:-

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast31oct_1.htm

AAI
http://uk.geocities.com/aa_spaceagent/astronomy.html
Old August 26th 04, 09:05 PM
Grimble Gromble

The September issue of Astronomy Now has an article starting on page 25. Map
and ephemeris included.
Grim

om...

Old August 26th 04, 09:24 PM

Generically, you can obtain asteroid orbital elements and enter them
into any of several freeware and shareware planetarium programs.
Here's a good place to start:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/data/ELEMENTS.NUMBR

Then, you can look up JPL's space calendar
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/calendar
to see if anything is happening, and of course, you can to a "Find" on
the page to look for a string of text. entering "Tout", this entry was
first up:
"Sep 29 - Asteroid 4179 Toutatis Near-Earth Flyby (0.010 AU)"
with a link to a page of info on the asteroid.

Old August 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Chris Taylor

Taken from this months S&T: (BTW, Well Done Peter Lawrence, will we be doing
parallax exp with this Object?))

HTTP://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html

Then (using Internet Explorer only) choose "return ephmerides" for name
enter "Toutatis" enter start date in the form yyy mm dd hhmm then enter east
longtitude (ie 360 deg - western long) Northern latitudes = +deg south
as -. Under format, choode "none"

Haven't tried it but I hope it helps

Regards

Chris

Old August 27th 04, 01:50 AM
Gareth V. Williams

In sci.astro.amateur "Chris Taylor" not.tellin wrote:
: Taken from this months S&T: (BTW, Well Done Peter Lawrence, will we be doing
: parallax exp with this Object?))

: HTTP://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html

: Then (using Internet Explorer only) choose "return ephmerides" for name

As noted in a letter I sent to S&T within 10 minutes of reading that
piece, there is no "Internet Explorer only" requirement on ANY
of the MPC's pages. I really have no idea where or why they imagined that
there was such a requirement. As the author of most of the pages and
all of the form scripts on the MPC site, I can assure you that the
design philosophy has always been browser independence (no "best viewed
with..." icons on our pages). You can use any browser you want,
including text-based browsers: Lynx works on the MPEph.html page very
nicely, as it does with any non-graphical page or form script.

: Haven't tried it but I hope it helps

Other than the above-noted error, the rest of the instructions are
correct.

Gareth V. Williams, MS 18, 60 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Associate Director, IAU Minor Planet Center
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html
OpenVMS & RISC OS: refined choices in operating systems
Old August 27th 04, 06:40 PM
AA Institute

"Grimble Gromble" wrote in message ...
The September issue of Astronomy Now has an article starting on page 25. Map
and ephemeris included.
Grim

I wonder if #4179 Toutatis would make a good 'AsterCom' starship
candidate?!

A missed opportunity with such a close fly-by. If only some retro
thrust was applied... it might get captured into Earth orbit, after
which the "digging" expeditions could get to work on carving out its
interior!

Dreams...