Madonna could be sent into space in 2009 - Russian Space Agency

Old September 13th 06, 06:33 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default Madonna could be sent into space in 2009 - Russian Space Agency

The website has a composite image of Madonna performing some
soirt of oral docking to the Mir space station (?!?!?!?!?).....

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060913/53845036.html

Madonna could be sent into space in 2009 - Russian Space Agency
19:16 | 13/ 09/ 2006

MOSCOW, September 13 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Space Agency has no
objections to Madonna's plans for a space flight, but the American pop diva
could make a space trip no earlier than 2009, the agency's spokesperson said
Wednesday.

Alexei Mitrofanov, a flamboyant lawmaker from the ultra-nationalist LDPR
party, earlier proposed that Madonna's desire to make the trip, which she
expressed during her two-day visit to Russia, be fulfilled - a proposal that
met with rejection by Russian lawmakers.

"We are aware of today's debates in the State Duma [the lower house of the
Russian parliament] as to the proposed flight by Madonna to the
International Space Station," Igor Panin said.

"Although a precise schedule for the flights of the so-called 'space
tourists' has been approved until the end of 2008, Madonna's request will
not meet any objections, and her representatives can approach us even now,"
he said, adding that the pop star's physical fitness and finances guarantee
that her space dreams might come true as early as 2009.

Madonna's world tour, which continues next week in Japan, has drawn
widespread criticism from religious groups for its depiction of a mock
crucifixion. In Moscow, Russian nationalists vowed to disrupt her concert,
while in Germany the authorities briefly considered an investigation under
the country's religious blasphemy laws.

Tuesday's Moscow performance at the Luzhniki stadium, which was guarded by
up to 7,000 police, passed off without any serious problems.

Old September 13th 06, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:33:05 +0000, Jim Oberg wrote:

The website has a composite image of Madonna performing some
soirt of oral docking to the Mir space station (?!?!?!?!?).....

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060913/53845036.html

Madonna could be sent into space in 2009 - Russian Space Agency
19:16 | 13/ 09/ 2006

lol, a true test case for Russia's new capitalist space program, just how
far will they go?

Will it be,

"If you have the doe, you can go."

or,

"No way, Jose", we won't touch that with a ten meter stick.

Details to follow.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old September 14th 06, 02:32 AM posted to sci.space.station
Danny Dot[_1_]

Danny Dot wrote:
"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
The website has a composite image of Madonna performing some
soirt of oral docking to the Mir space station (?!?!?!?!?).....

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060913/53845036.html

Madonna could be sent into space in 2009 - Russian Space Agency
19:16 | 13/ 09/ 2006

As usual Mr. Oberg, a great post. I think Madonna in space would be great.
I don't like the "details" of her work, but from what I know she is a very
intelligent, very good business woman. She sold herself to us to make money
and did a good job. She certainly did better with her career than I did :-)

P.S. I don't like her music, but my ex-wife does!!!

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Old September 15th 06, 08:12 AM posted to sci.space.station
Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X

This is totally absurd. I guess space tourism has to start somewhere...

But Madonna?! Jesus christ if she wasn't filthy rich there is no doubt
in my mind she wouldn't even think about space flight.

Old September 16th 06, 01:08 AM posted to sci.space.station
Frank Glover[_1_]

Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X wrote:

This is totally absurd. I guess space tourism has to start somewhere...

But Madonna?! Jesus christ if she wasn't filthy rich there is no doubt
in my mind she wouldn't even think about space flight.

Maybe. What's your point? Did Dennis Tito? There's been no space
tourist yet who didn't have at least US$20 million to spend on it,
because that's what the Russians charge. If that's your definition of
'filthy rich,' so be it. The goal now is to get it down into the reach
of more people (even if suborbitally, at first).

And why not Madonna? It's not as if somebody *else* picked her as a
potential space tourist (not explorer, not crew member) on the public
dime. That she's willing to spend a non-trivial amount of *her own*
money for the experience, suggests she has *some* interest in (at least
personal) space flight.

It's possible to have that, you know, and not be a more open space
advocate in the rest of your life. Those, too, are the people you want
to get, as new technologies come in and prices come down. Just as
'space' isn't just for scientists, space tourism isn't just for the
hard-core enthusiasts like many of those of us on this newsgroup.

To use an Earthly anology, some people seek out a sea-going
experience on sailing or even ressearch vessels, wherein they're
expected to take on some crew functions and actually be somewhat of a
sailor. And that's okay, if you want that.

Others just want to be pampered on a nice comfortable cruise ship,
and let someone else run it.

Madonna isn't planning to be a government (or even corporate)
astronaut, she's paying (if it happens) to likewise sit back and enjoy
the ride.

(At the very beginning of her career, she told Dick Clark on
American Bandstand, that her ambition was "To rule the world." I'm way
past being suprised.)

--

Frank

You know what to remove to reply...

Check out my web page: http://www.geocities.com/stardolphin1/link2.htm

"Man who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt man doing it."
- Chinese Proverb
Old September 16th 06, 01:38 AM posted to sci.space.station
Frank Glover[_1_]

Nomen wrote:

'Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X' wrote in:

This is totally absurd. I guess space tourism has to start somewhere...

But Madonna?! Jesus christ if she wasn't filthy rich there is no doubt
in my mind she wouldn't even think about space flight.

Flush space tourism and the rich with it.

Ah, so space flight belongs only to government employees. Okay...

Old September 16th 06, 12:51 PM posted to sci.space.station
Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X

I agree, I think the whole space tourism thing should be flushed, if
not, modified. I don't think $20,000,000 is enough for a tourist at
this beginning point in time. For tourists to really make a difference
in space flight/exploration/colonization, we should either up the price
tag or... better yet, the Russians should just stop it in general. From
what it seems to me, space tourism is a big play for extra money, and I
have a feeling that extra money is going into even better space
tourism, which is completely pointless.

But if we must have it, I think the price tag should be upped to a
point at which rich people should litterally have to beg money-wise to
get into space for 10 days... instead of just casually buying it for a
sort of week long weightless vacation.

Old September 16th 06, 02:50 PM posted to sci.space.station
Frank Glover[_1_]

Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X wrote:
I agree, I think the whole space tourism thing should be flushed, if
not, modified. I don't think $20,000,000 is enough for a tourist at
this beginning point in time.

The Russians provide the service, they're the ones who decide what's
an acceptable price.

Soyuz doesn't cost as much to lanuch as the shuttle, and;

They may not be trying to break-even on it, anyway.

For tourists to really make a difference
in space flight/exploration/colonization, we should either up the price
tag or...

What does 'make a difference' mean to you?

Are you suggesting that the costs of all human space activity be
carried on the backs of a (current) handful of individuals who want to
pay for the personal experience?

(Hint: they and the rest of us already pay for government
programs...they're called taxes.)

better yet, the Russians should just stop it in general.

One of the major modules is theirs, you know.

As is some of the transportation to ISS. (*All* of it, whenever the
shuttle is down for whatever reason.) The Russians always have, and
likely always will do whatever *they* think they should do, not you or
I. Including making some money flying paying passengers into orbit.

From
what it seems to me, space tourism is a big play for extra money, and I
have a feeling that extra money is going into even better space
tourism, which is completely pointless.

Um, yes! Tourism makes money. Making money *is* the point, even if
it only partly offsets the Russians operational costs.

BTW, demand for 'better space tourism' naturally leads to demand for
lower-cost, more reliable launchers. That's something *anyone* with
*anything* to do in space should get behind.

(Including NASA. Who needs economical re-supply and crew rotation
more than they? This is what's limited ISS usefulness from day one. The
shuttle doesn't cut it in that respect. Why turn down technologies
developed to serve a commercial human space flight market? Are shuttles
ferried on a specially built aircraft...or a modified commercial one
that fits their needs?)

Why do you have a problem with that?

But if we must have it, I think the price tag should be upped to a
point at which rich people should litterally have to beg money-wise to
get into space for 10 days... instead of just casually buying it for a
sort of week long weightless vacation.

So...spending 20 million dollars isn't sufficent motivation for you?

And what, exactly, is 'rich?'

Heads up. There are varying degrees of 'rich,' (or 'poor,' for that
matter), and not everyone that could be described that way, has (or can
spend) that kind of money. Someone whose total personal assets are
themselves equal to about 20 million dollars, would be considered 'rich'
by most peolple, (once you break the single-million barrier, *I* think
you're doing pretty damn good...but you're still not Bill Gates) but
they're not the ones who are going to fly, if it means being broke when
they land.

One almost has to conclude hat you must have *astoundingly* deep
pockets yourself, to make such an assertion...

...or there's something about ISS you consider exessively sacred.

I'm finding a lack of logic in condemning it as a joyride for 'the
rich,' and responding by proposing it be changed so that one would have
to be even richer to do it.

And I find this terribly ironic that this service is only available
from a country that once roundly condemned capitalism, and now that
they've learned it, we seemto have a problem with it.

Old September 16th 06, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.station
Frank Glover[_1_]

Traveler wrote:

wrote:

Madonna isn't planning to be a government (or even corporate)
astronaut, she's paying (if it happens) to likewise sit back and enjoy
the ride.

Like a spoiled little rich girl. Pathetic.

Rich enough and willing enough to be a customer is all that counts here.

Is your problem with space tourists in general on ISS?

Or is it with Madonna in particular?

Would you prefer some woman who came by her fortune through an
inheritance, but was otherwise unknown to the world?

Or someone who, whatever you think of her music or lifestyle, worked
hard for every cent she has? This isn't Paris Hilton (not that I'd deny
a seat to her, either), this is someone who was a lower-middle class
person froim Detroit, with nothing handed to her. She's earned every
right to 'spoil' herself, as you put it.

I would. And I would in this particular way. But I'm still
middle-class, and don't yet have $20 million to spare. God bless those
who can and will. Their market/demand may one day bring spaceflight down
to the point where I *can* afford it.

Old September 17th 06, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.station
John Doe

Like a spoiled little rich girl. Pathetic.

It isn't just the money and the 10 days in space. If Madonna can go
through the training curriculum and pass without any special "we'll
overlook that D- mark on that exam", then she deserves to go up just as
any other tourist.

The training curriculum is what really takes time and effort. And if
Madonna can do part of it in russian, then she gets even more respect.
(Tito didn't want to learn Russian, Shuttleworth learned as much as he could).

If Madonna can pass the traning programme with success, then she's not a
bimbo going for an amusement park ride, she is a trained civilian going
up into space.