Bye-bye spacesuits, hello crew bags.

Old July 27th 10, 11:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1086_]

Default Bye-bye spacesuits, hello crew bags.

Alan Erskine wrote:
On 25/07/2010 5:41 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 7/24/2010 4:37 PM, Val Kraut wrote:
I hope they at least have a handle on the top, so when something
goes wrong
and the Space-Sea Rescue team of the Solar Guard shows up they can
easily carry the egg to safety on their patrol ship. Or at least
enough room you can kiss your A** goodbye and slowly die in peace..

An early US attempt at the concept:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat

Why do space suits have feet and legs? There's a deep-sea suit,
similar to the JIM that has no feet or legs.

Because feet and legs have been found to be immensely useful during EVAs.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old July 28th 10, 01:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/27/2010 2:59 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Because feet and legs have been found to be immensely useful during EVAs.

On the Moon, maybe.
What is needed is something like eagle's feet for grasping things in
zero G and giving the astronauts a firm support to work with their arms.
And I'm not just referring to the spacesuits either; it would be best if
the astronauts had these as parts of their actual bodies via genetic
manipulation.
This may sound far-fetched, but if we don't start breeding babies with
bird feet on them, the Chinese almost certainly will, thereby taking the
high ground...or high perch...in space. ;-)

Pat
Old July 28th 10, 08:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1088_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
On 7/27/2010 2:59 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Because feet and legs have been found to be immensely useful during
EVAs.

On the Moon, maybe.

And in orbit. Note how they attach themselves to the work platforms and the
like.

What is needed is something like eagle's feet for grasping things in
zero G and giving the astronauts a firm support to work with their
arms. And I'm not just referring to the spacesuits either; it would
be best if the astronauts had these as parts of their actual bodies
via genetic manipulation.
This may sound far-fetched, but if we don't start breeding babies with
bird feet on them, the Chinese almost certainly will, thereby taking
the high ground...or high perch...in space. ;-)

Umm, right.

So they should start eating bird's nest soup?

Pat

Old July 29th 10, 07:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
GordonD

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
On 7/24/2010 4:37 PM, Val Kraut wrote:
I hope they at least have a handle on the top, so when something goes
wrong
and the Space-Sea Rescue team of the Solar Guard shows up they can easily
carry the egg to safety on their patrol ship. Or at least enough room you
can kiss your A** goodbye and slowly die in peace..

An early US attempt at the concept:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

That looks like a teleportation experiment gone wrong.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old July 30th 10, 03:04 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/29/2010 10:56 AM, GordonD wrote:

An early US attempt at the concept:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

That looks like a teleportation experiment gone wrong.

Yeah, the arm sticking out the front looks very odd.
As was pointed out in the book "The Dream Machines", this thing looks
way too much like a coffin to inspire confidence in its users:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/1crgterm.htm

Pat

Old August 3rd 10, 04:29 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article
tatelephone,
says...

On 7/26/2010 6:01 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 25/07/2010 9:12 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
New Russian concept for crew protection:
http://rt.com/Sci_Tech/2010-06-21/no...osmonauts.html

Pat

I seem to remember a similar idea for the shuttle in the '70's/'80's,
but it was dropped.

The zip-up rescue cage-ball bags:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/reseball.htm
You wrapped yourself up in there like a fetus in the womb, and hoped
they would get to another Shuttle before your air ran out.

Another concept which never went anywhere. The current shuttle rescue
flight plans call for EVA's using normal EVA suits.

Jeff
--
The only decision you'll have to make is
Who goes in after the snake in the morning?
Old August 4th 10, 01:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 8/3/2010 7:28 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

I've got to agree with Greg here. One of the things you need to do
during EVA's is to anchor yourself so you can apply forces to other
objects without having yourself moving around. Remember for every
action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Using your feet to anchor yourself to a work platform, say on the end of
the shuttle/ISS arm, allows you to put force on other objects with your
hands. Also, this gives you some mobility of your body without having
to move your anchor point (i.e. bend your leg joints and you can move
left/right/up/down by quite a bit). You can also use your leg muscles
to help break something free.

If I had a dime for every time I had to use a breaker bar and my leg
muscles to free a stuck nut or bolt on my car...

Okay, I see your point - the legs might be useful in that regard during
an EVA.
Here's the guy with the magnetic boots standing on the wing of the
rocketship, cutting off the stuck latch to release the second stage...
when...KER-PONG! ...and off into space he goes, just like Frank Poole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTX...eature=related
Angie Dickinson looks strange as a brunette.
I think it would have been cool if she were revealed to be a Red Spy,
and the kid's true father was Gagarin. Also, when they get to the Moon,
they find there are Nazis already there, just like in Heinlein. Then the
Americans and Russians would be forced to cooperate to kill the Moon
Nazis, and Dickinson's character could be revealed as a whoreish double
agent actually working for the Moon Nazis by trying to infect all the
astronauts and cosmonauts with VD, which she got by banging some guy she
met in a art museum, just like in "Dressed To Kill".
The kid could then get some sort of robotic dog from the Russians, that
incorporated spy gear and was named "The Dag-Nabit".
Also, if they had incorporated a great deal of violence into the series,
it would have helped.
People should get depressurized, and their lungs come out their mouths;
meteors should constantly be punching huge holes in astronauts and
spacecraft; solar storms should burn people black in a matter of
seconds; excessive G forces should crush them flat as pancakes on a
near-weekly basis, as the sound of their bones shattering fills the
soundtrack.
They used that sort of inventiveness in their writing, and "Men Into
Space" might have run many seasons. ;-)

Pat