Progress fails to dock with ISS

Old July 7th 10, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Progress fails to dock with ISS

On 7/6/2010 2:48 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

Time to switch to mild steel?

Depleted uranium. ;-)
Actually, all you'd have to do is sheath the tungsten (or lead for that
matter) in a stainless steel jacket or some sort of really tough plastic.

Speaking of eliminating lead (eg from
sinkers and shot)

The steel shot must take some getting used to for hunting; initial
acceleration would be high, but velocity would drop off faster with
distance, so it would screw up by how much you must lead the target.

I'm wondering what wonderful things we'll discover
about the replacement materials used thanks to ROHS.

I like metallic sodium shot; very high initial acceleration, so
virtually no lead needed, and the duck will be cooked by the time it
reaches the ground from the sodium combusting on contact with its blood.
Any shot that misses the target will disappear during the next rainstorm.

Pat
Old July 7th 10, 04:44 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/6/2010 2:57 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

I think around 10-15 years down the road, the LED lights will make even
the fluorescent ones quickly obsolete.

Agreed.

The problem with the LED ones is that they will so electrically
effeicent and long-life that after a huge initial demand for them demand
will drop way off except for new construction projects.

I really want one of these; as I'm really into death rays:
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/S...ies-96-37.html
"Don't let the Arctic name fool you, this laser possesses the most
burning capabilities of any portable laser in existence. That's why
it's also the most dangerous laser ever created. In recognizing and
mastering the power of direct blue diodes, the Wicked Lasers' Arctic
shall become the standard by which all other blue lasers are
judged."

Sounds too potentially fun and/or useful to not be banned soon.

I think it's already banned for import into the US, because one quick
shot in the eyes with it and you are permanently blind.
Terrorists could make good use of something like that against airliners
taking off or landing.

Yes, yes!
It's time the Boxelder Bugs face the wrath of my heat ray!

Do mind the trees/shrubs themselves

Another cool invention:
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/02/12/an...-laser-cannon/
So what if the mosquito is hovering in front of your face, the laser
shoots at it, and the beam goes into your eye?

Pat
Old July 7th 10, 09:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Jul 2, 11:37*am, Rick Jones wrote:
What is the antonym for progress?-)

Serious answer: regress (if you're going backwards or in reverse) or
retrogress (if you've turned around in a 180).
Old July 16th 10, 10:59 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Jul 5, 4:57*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:

Those bulbs have allowed me to light my entire apartment on around
1/4 of the total former electrical use for around five years now,
and made up their purchase cost inside of around two month's time.

You must not have many dimmer switches in your apartment.

Still, we must realize that when incandescent bulbs are outlawed,
only outlaws will have incandescent bulbs. ;-)

Indeed, and I may be one of the outlaws. *I am quite pleased with the
CFLs I have, and I have them in many places in my home, but dimmers
and electronic timers are still not things with which CFLs will play
nicely. *

Say WHAT?????!!!!!

Thanks for the compliment... (I think)

- CFLeon