Gemini Spacecraft Serial Numbers

Old June 9th 06, 11:05 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Gemini Spacecraft Serial Numbers

Does anyone have a list of or reference to the serial numbers
(or construction numbers) for the various Gemini spacecraft?
The reference that I have seen, and which appears to have been
widely copied, shows both Gemini 7 and Gemini 12 as S/N 1853.
Anyone know what the correct serial numbers are for these two
spacecraft?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old June 10th 06, 01:46 AM posted to sci.space.history

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
Does anyone have a list of or reference to the serial numbers
(or construction numbers) for the various Gemini spacecraft?
The reference that I have seen, and which appears to have been
widely copied, shows both Gemini 7 and Gemini 12 as S/N 1853.
Anyone know what the correct serial numbers are for these two
spacecraft?

-john-

Adler or the restoration team -- will know this answer for Gemini 12.

The restored Gemini 12 spacecraft will be unveiled at Adler Planetarium
(Chicago) later this year as part of its new permanent "Reach for the Moon"
exhibit. This exhibit and collection will eventually include all of James
Lovell's personal collection of artifacts.

g. beat

Old June 10th 06, 02:34 AM posted to sci.space.history

"g. beat " @spam protected wrote in message
. ..
"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
Does anyone have a list of or reference to the serial numbers
(or construction numbers) for the various Gemini spacecraft?
The reference that I have seen, and which appears to have been
widely copied, shows both Gemini 7 and Gemini 12 as S/N 1853.
Anyone know what the correct serial numbers are for these two
spacecraft?

-john-

Adler or the restoration team -- will know this answer for Gemini 12.

The restored Gemini 12 spacecraft will be unveiled at Adler Planetarium
(Chicago) later this year as part of its new permanent "Reach for the

Moon"
exhibit. This exhibit and collection will eventually include all of James
Lovell's personal collection of artifacts.

You know, I was just there for the first time a few weeks ago.

Dang, I'll have to get back this summer. (fortunately I have a chance of
doing so!)

g. beat

Old June 10th 06, 05:07 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Greg -

The exhibit will be rolled out in 2 stages. First phase is July 8th.
Second phase is Veteran's Day, November 11

November 11th date is significant - it is the 40th anniversary of the Gemini
12 launch (has it been that long).

Jim Lovell may be in attendence, I have not heard about Buzz Aldrin.
May have more Gemini and Mission Control alumni for event.

g. beat

Old June 10th 06, 05:21 AM posted to sci.space.history

"g. beat " @spam protected wrote in message
. ..

Greg -

The exhibit will be rolled out in 2 stages. First phase is July 8th.
Second phase is Veteran's Day, November 11

November 11th date is significant - it is the 40th anniversary of the

Gemini
12 launch (has it been that long).

Hmm, fortunately my new employer has its offices in Moline and I have to
visit from time to time.

Not hard to swing up to Chicago on a visit (which is what I did 2-3 weeks
ago. Got a pass to the Adler, Field and Flagg(?)). Sort of a rush job, but
worth it for the day.

And if I take Amtrak into Chicago, I'm already in town. :-)

Old June 10th 06, 12:54 PM posted to sci.space.history

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
news

"g. beat " @spam protected wrote in message
. ..

Greg -

The exhibit will be rolled out in 2 stages. First phase is July 8th.
Second phase is Veteran's Day, November 11

November 11th date is significant - it is the 40th anniversary of the

Gemini
12 launch (has it been that long).

Hmm, fortunately my new employer has its offices in Moline and I have to
visit from time to time.

Not hard to swing up to Chicago on a visit (which is what I did 2-3 weeks
ago. Got a pass to the Adler, Field and Flagg(?)). Sort of a rush job,
but
worth it for the day.

Yes, the museum campus is Field Museum (Sue - largest complete T Rex - in
main hall);
Adler (only planetarium in US with 2 complete theatres)
and Shedd Aquarium - which until the Atlanta Aquarium was finish - largest
fresh water aquarium (Beluga whales and Pacific Northwest theme for main
pool)

I actually support all 3, I get free passes on regular basis (just have to
find them and dig them up) - which I give to my nieces and nephews.

And if I take Amtrak into Chicago, I'm already in town. :-)

The Amtrak "Illinois Service", which has been in place since 1971, actually
has a better on-time record than the airlines.

gb

Old June 10th 06, 03:22 PM posted to sci.space.history

The Gemini program was VERY important for the US to make it to the
Moon, we couldn't have done it without Gemini, but despite that it
remains the least well known of the major US space programs.

I've looked through two books now "On The Shoulders of Titans" and
"Gemini" and I see no reference to any spacecraft serial numbers except
for the designation SC1, SC2, etc. for Spacecraft 1, 2, etc.
There were 13 Gemini spacecraft that were built, all but one flew, the
first two flew without a crew, and the one left was a test article.

I was thinking ... maybe we could ask someone who has access to a
Gemini spacecraft if there is any serial number on it somewhere.
Gemini 3 (Molly Brown) is in Mill Creek State Park in Indiana.

Old June 10th 06, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.history

wrote:
The Gemini program was VERY important for the US to make it to the
Moon, we couldn't have done it without Gemini, but despite that it
remains the least well known of the major US space programs.

I've looked through two books now "On The Shoulders of Titans" and
"Gemini" and I see no reference to any spacecraft serial numbers except
for the designation SC1, SC2, etc. for Spacecraft 1, 2, etc.
There were 13 Gemini spacecraft that were built, all but one flew, the
first two flew without a crew, and the one left was a test article.

Gemini Program PDF files on NASA NTRS web server:

On the Shoulders of Titans: A History of Project Gemini

Hacker, B. C.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-SP-4203 , 19770101; JAN 1, 1977
Gemini was the intermediate manned space flight program between
America's first steps into space with Mercury and the manned lunar
expeditions of Apollo. Because of its position between these two other
efforts, Gemini is probably less remembered. Still, it more than had
its place in man's progress into this new frontier.

Accession ID: 78N20151
Document ID: 19780012208

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1978012208.pdf

Project Gemini technology and operations - A chronology

Grimwood, J. M.; Hacker, B. C.; Vorzimer, P. J.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-SP-4002 , 19690101; JAN 1, 1969
Chronological study of design and development of Gemini project
Accession ID: 69N36501
Document ID: 19690027123

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1969027123.pdf

Project Gemini - A technical summary

Malik, P. W.; Souris, G. A.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-CR-1106 , 19680601; Jun 1, 1968
Spacecraft system design, mission planning, and qualification testing
for Gemini project
Accession ID: 68N25577
Document ID: 19680016105

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1968016105.pdf

NASA project Gemini long range and modified configurations

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-CR-62436; SEDR-300-SUPP , 19650930; Sep 30, 1965

Accession ID: 76N70245
Document ID: 19760065204

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1976065204.pdf

Gemini Midprogram Conference including experiment results

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-SP-121 , 19660101; Jan 1, 1966
Gemini spacecraft and launch vehicle development and performance,
flight operations, mission results, and physical science and biomedical
experiments - Gemini midprogram conference
Accession ID: 66N29626
Document ID: 19660020336

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1966020336.pdf

Gemini summary conference

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-SP-138 , 19670101; JAN 1, 1967
Gemini Summary Conference
Accession ID: 68N14941
Document ID: 19680005472

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1968005472.pdf

Development and qualification of Gemini escape system

Burns, F. T.; Ray, H. A., Jr.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TN-D-4031 , 19670601; Jun 1, 1967
Qualification and development of Gemini escape system
Accession ID: 67N29035
Document ID: 19670019706

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1967019706.pdf

Gemini land landing system development program. Volume I - Full-scale
investigations

Coffey, J. C.; Mc Cullough, J. E.; Norman, L. C.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TN-D-3869 , 19670301; Mar 1, 1967
Full scale investigations of Gemini land landing system

Accession ID: 67N19278
Document ID: 19670009949

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1967009949.pdf

Gemini spacecraft parachute landing system

Vincze, J.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TN-D-3496 , 19660701; Jul 1, 1966
Gemini spacecraft drogue and ringsail parachute landing system

Accession ID: 66N30258
Document ID: 19660020968

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1966020968.pdf

Propulsion subsystem. engineering analysis report, Gemini-Agena target
vehicle

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-CR-96963; LMSC-A604141; SP-129-64-17 , 19640630; Jun 30, 1964

Accession ID: 79N76535
Document ID: 19790077027

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979077027.pdf

Simulation of Gemini extravehicular tasks by neutral-buoyancy
techniques

Beasley, G. P.; Jacobs, D. L.; Trout, O. F., Jr.
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TN-D-5235 , 19690601; Jun 1, 1969
Weightlessness simulation of Gemini extravehicular tasks using
neutral-buoyancy underwater techniques
Accession ID: 69N28024
Document ID: 19690018646

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1969018646.pdf

Manned space flight experiments symposium, gemini missions iii and iv

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-56861 , 19650101; Jan 1, 1965
Manned space flight symposium on experiments performed during Gemini
III and IV missions
Accession ID: 65N36100
Document ID: 19650026499

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1965026499.pdf

Gemini program mission report, Gemini 5

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-60401; MSC-G-R-65-4 , 19651001; Oct 1, 1965

Accession ID: 75N73890
Document ID: 19750067642

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1975067642.pdf

Gemini program mission report, gemini 6-a (cancelled Oct 1965 mission)

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-61012; MSC-G-R-65-5 , 19651101; Nov 1, 1965

Accession ID: 79N76257
Document ID: 19790076749

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979076749.pdf

Gemini program mission report, Gemini 7

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-62892; MSC-G-R-66-1 , 19660101; Jan 1, 1966

Accession ID: 79N76319
Document ID: 19790076811

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979076811.pdf

Gemini program mission report, Gemini 10

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-60402; MSC-G-R-66-7 , 19660801; Aug 1, 1966

Accession ID: 75N73892
Document ID: 19750067644

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1975067644.pdf

Gemini program mission report gemini 12

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-61606; MSC-G-R-67-1 , 19670101; Jan 1, 1967

Accession ID: 79N76139
Document ID: 19790076631

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979076631.pdf

Project Gemini Quarterly status report, 1 Sep. - 30 Nov. 1962

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-51176; QSR-3 , 19621130; Nov 30, 1962

Accession ID: 73N74239
Document ID: 19730064997

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1973064997.pdf

Project Gemini Quarterly status report, 1 Sep. - 30 Nov. 1963

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-61619; QSR-7 , 19631121; Nov 21, 1963

Accession ID: 79N76311
Document ID: 19790076803

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979076803.pdf

Project Gemini Quarterly status report, period ending 30 Nov. 1964

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-61620; QSR-11 , 19641130; Nov 30, 1964

Accession ID: 79N76313
Document ID: 19790076805

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979076805.pdf

Project Gemini /U/ Quarterly status report for period ending 31 Aug.
1965

NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
NASA-TM-X-61625; QSR-14 , 19650831; Aug 31, 1965

Accession ID: 79N76686
Document ID: 19790077178

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1979077178.pdf

-Rusty

Old June 10th 06, 07:02 PM posted to sci.space.history

g. beat @ wrote:

Shedd Aquarium - which until the Atlanta Aquarium was finish - largest
fresh water aquarium (Beluga whales and Pacific Northwest theme for main
pool)

We have not built the ultimate aquarium until we have one with a 70 foot
long sperm whale in it.
Then, at noon each day, the water slide is lowered into it, and the live
40 foot long giant squid slides down into the water.
Screw Shamu; it's feeding time at the zoo. :-)

Pat
Old June 10th 06, 09:59 PM posted to sci.space.history

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

g. beat @ wrote:

Shedd Aquarium - which until the Atlanta Aquarium was finish - largest
fresh water aquarium (Beluga whales and Pacific Northwest theme for main
pool)

We have not built the ultimate aquarium until we have one with a 70 foot
long sperm whale in it.
Then, at noon each day, the water slide is lowered into it, and the live
40 foot long giant squid slides down into the water.
Screw Shamu; it's feeding time at the zoo. :-)

Pity the poor aquarium worker - who at feeding time is handling the giant
squid -
and slips down slide to become a quick appetizer.
Reminds you of the opening scene from Jurassic Park

gb