Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

Old January 28th 04, 09:12 PM
Gareth Slee

Default Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

"CG" wrote in message
After a recent experience I had on this board I now have to question my
involvement in amateur astronomy at best and weather I can allow

snip

If she'd been fully dressed and holding a gun, I bet no-one would have
complained...

Gareth

Old January 28th 04, 09:16 PM
Michael

It only happened once that I know of. And also, there are far worse things
that go on here
that have nothing to do with astronomy, like all the bantering and drivel
that takes up a good 70%
of this NG. Now if you have something to offer in astronomy, start talking.

Old January 28th 04, 09:20 PM
Michael

"gk" wrote in message
"CG" wrote in message
After a recent experience I had on this board I now have to question my
involvement in amateur astronomy at best and weather I can allow my
children to take part at worst.
While checking s.a.a. for on of the first times I made the error of
clicking on a link to what I thought would be images of a members
telescope. I believe we all know where that link led. I also believe we
know how it was greeted with much approval from other posters.
Is this typical of amateur astronomy? What If My Son had been
watching?????????

If your son is reading Usenet unsupervised, you obviously don't care what
he's exposed to. Usenet is for the most part uncensored and unconrolled.

As I asked in a previous topic is it safe for me to allow my spouse and
children to take part in this hobby?

If your spouse requires your approval for something innocuous like
astronomy, then your family has bigger problems to deal with than

accidently
clicking on picture of a naked female (that was clearly described in the
message with the link, which you no doubt read, but obviously you still
couldn't resist clicking on yourself. Why is that? ).

At this point I have to wonder if the
people who take part in it are the sort of people I want my family to
associate with. My wife and I have done our best to install good values

in
our children that reflect the values we were brought up by our families

and
church. This posting seems to cast some doubt on the wisdom of exposing
them to this hobby.

You should lock them up and not expose them to the rest of humanity until
they are 18. It's undoubtably the only safe way to achieve what you want.

Thanks Clay

No Prob.

Beautiful !! LOL Clay must be one of those staunch right wing crusader
types. Probably has posters of Rush Limbaugh.

Old January 28th 04, 09:20 PM
Tony Turner

Thanks Mike I hope you are right but what I've read here doesn't give me
much hope. I'm still amazed that No one objected to the post at the time.
Clay

I am sure that no-one objected because almost no-one bothered to look.