Affordable large aperture dobs...

Old November 17th 03, 03:17 AM
Etok

Default Affordable large aperture dobs...

I was huntng down some trick lower truss tube clamps for my dob project
(They're 1.25" truss poles, in case you run across any) and found a dob
manufacturer called T-scopes. He seems to use good design principles
and his prices are quite reasonable, considering the cost of materials,
etc. So I thought I'd mention his site, in case anyone is looking.

It's http://www.tscopes.com

One item that caught my eye is his 14" truss dob for about $2000. If I
had known about this when I bought my Takahashi, I'd have never bought
my Takahashi.;-)

Also looking for sources for threaded inserts to fit into 1.25" aluminum
tube--you know, the ones they use to hold Obsession secondary cages
together... seen any?

Regards,
Etok

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old November 17th 03, 03:50 AM
JJK

From p. 453 in Dave Kriege's book on building large telescopes, the threaded
inserts can be purchased from Superior Components, 12006 Spaulding School
Drive, Unit 104, Plainfield, IL 60544. 815-254-2313.

P/N 3046-4 and 3047-4 (1/4-20 thread) for the 1 1/4" or 1 1/2 inch diameter
inserts, respectively.

Dave's book includes a list of suppliers for all kinds of goodies one might
use building a truss-Dob-Newt.

Old November 17th 03, 05:20 AM
Etok

From p. 453 in Dave Kriege's book on building large telescopes, the threaded

"Etok" wrote:

I was huntng down some trick lower truss tube clamps for my dob project
(They're 1.25" truss poles, in case you run across any) and found a dob
manufacturer called T-scopes. He seems to use good design principles
and his prices are quite reasonable, considering the cost of materials,
etc. So I thought I'd mention his site, in case anyone is looking.

It's http://www.tscopes.com

One item that caught my eye is his 14" truss dob for about $2000. If I
had known about this when I bought my Takahashi, I'd have never bought
my Takahashi.;-)

Also looking for sources for threaded inserts to fit into 1.25" aluminum
tube--you know, the ones they use to hold Obsession secondary cages
together... seen any?

Thank you for that, JJK. I realize that took some effort to pull
together, and your effort is much appreciated.

Old November 17th 03, 05:11 PM
Russell Chase

Etok wrote in part in message

www.mcmaster.com enter part number 94290A571
Old November 17th 03, 05:46 PM
Al

"Russell Chase" wrote in message
om...
Etok wrote in part in message
Also looking for sources for threaded inserts to fit into 1.25" aluminum
tube--you know, the ones they use to hold Obsession secondary cages
together... seen any?

www.mcmaster.com enter part number 94290A571

Note to Etok: I saw your post a few days ago and thought about suggesting
McMaster but figured you already knew about them. In the unlikely event
that you don't know about McMaster, they are fantastic! I believe that the
average guy couldn't think of a hardware item that you can't find at
McMaster. While their prices are not too difficult to beat, you can't fault
them for not having everything most people need under one roof.

Al

Old November 18th 03, 05:45 AM
JJK

My pleasure. Good luck with your project.

BTW, thanks for the website below. The price is pretty remarkable for a 14"
Truss Dob-Newt.

"Etok" wrote:
Thank you for that, JJK. I realize that took some effort to pull
together, and your effort is much appreciated.
JJK wrote:

JJK wrote:
From p. 453 in Dave Kriege's book on building large telescopes, the

threaded