Concrete Moon Houses?

Old September 2nd 08, 03:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Concrete Moon Houses?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ding_printers/
I assume the Moon ones won't use regular concrete, as water will be hard
to come by.

Pat
Old September 2nd 08, 04:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ding_printers/
I assume the Moon ones won't use regular concrete, as water will be hard
to come by.

Pat

They'd probably be better using basalt - litterally melting Moon rock and
forming into slabs or cylinders. It would be easy to weld/fuse end-caps
onto cylinders using focused sunlight.

Old September 3rd 08, 12:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ding_printers/
I assume the Moon ones won't use regular concrete, as water will be
hard to come by.

Pat

They'd probably be better using basalt - litterally melting Moon rock
and forming into slabs or cylinders. It would be easy to weld/fuse
end-caps onto cylinders using focused sunlight.

How would you use iron carbonyl technology to make
parts of habs that you could then rivet together,
old Victorian style?

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Sep 02]

Old September 3rd 08, 03:54 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Martha Adams" wrote in message

How would you use iron carbonyl technology to make
parts of habs that you could then rivet together,
old Victorian style?

I would think it could be done by making end caps out of the basalt as I
suggested. The Channel Tunnel was made of sections of pre-cast concrete
that were absolutely massive and made on an automated production line; the
same thing could be done with basalt In that case, once the sections formed
a cylinder, they could be sealed together using molten rock

Doing that, cylinders of any length and diameter could be made quite easily.

Old September 4th 08, 08:10 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alexander DeClama

Why would you want to at first? Iron purification using a modified
Mond process would be hideously expensive on the Moon. Two vital
components, carbon and hydrogen, are extremely rare on the Moon. We
might find water in the poles and from that we can extract hydrogen
but what about carbon? There are no known natural sources on the
Moon. We'd have to import it form either Earth or the asteroids.

We need a source of volatiles

On Sep 2, 7:35*pm, "Martha Adams" wrote:
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message

hdakotatelephone...

Old September 6th 08, 05:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ding_printers/
I assume the Moon ones won't use regular concrete, as water will be hard
to come by.

Pat

That's true, as even at 260 ppm of h2o within the relatively thick
crust isn't offering all that much water.

So, why not simply habitat deep underground, instead of constructing
surface habitats?

~ BG
Old September 6th 08, 06:03 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Sep 2, 8:25 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

dakotatelephone...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...ding_printers/
I assume the Moon ones won't use regular concrete, as water will be hard
to come by.

Pat

They'd probably be better using basalt - litterally melting Moon rock and
forming into slabs or cylinders. It would be easy to weld/fuse end-caps
onto cylinders using focused sunlight.

Basalt is certainly good for all of that, and then some.

There should be existing hollow rilles and more than a few geode like
pockets that are thick shelled enough and capably sealed as is.

Remember that there's really no shortage of local energy via sunlight
at nearly 1.4 kw/m2.

~ BG
Old September 6th 08, 06:09 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Sep 4, 12:10 pm, Alexander DeClama wrote:
[...]

It seems our Martha is a perpetual naysayer and otherwise mainstream
rusemaster that intends to foil any such efforts involving our Selene/
moon.

That surface has any number of raw elements besides those complex
formations of basalt to work with, such as titanium and of whatever
else is giving off all of that gamma.

~ BG