Management, mandate, and manned spaceflight

Old July 26th 03, 06:51 PM
LooseChanj

Default Management, mandate, and manned spaceflight

On or about Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:52:15 GMT, Rand Simberg made the sensational claim that:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:41:50 -0700, in a place far, far away,
"Charleston" made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

One in 999 is what NASA is shooting for in the next
generation space shuttle. That is a far cry from the joke set for the
current orbiter fleet which was about one in a million.

Do you have any cite for that nonsense?

The bowl of alphabits he had for breakfast, no doubt.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you

Old July 26th 03, 07:29 PM
Charleston

"LooseChanj" wrote in message
. com...
"Charleston" wrote:

One in 999 is what NASA is shooting for in the next
generation space shuttle. That is a far cry from the joke set for the
current orbiter fleet which was about one in a million.

Do you have any cite for that nonsense?

Notice I did not write CRV....

The bowl of alphabits he had for breakfast, no doubt.

Start here, and over the next few weeks I'll bring you up to speed on the
rest if you are serious. The document below sustains as realistic, most of
the arguments I have made here recently.

Special note to Bob Haller:

Please really read the document below. Your questions have generally been
fair if not redundant at times. Perhaps many here don't see the future as
you would like to see it, but your ideas are more in line with where NASA
would like to be than many who post here. I hope you take some solace on
NASA's thoughts on acceptable flight safety risks in the future. I urge you
to research "human rating requirements" in the future to answer some of the
questions you have that go unanswered here. Then perhaps you can educate
those who live in today, but can not see tomorrow.

http://nodis3.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/...ge_na me=main

Now go away looschanj and come back when you know what you are talking
about. You too, Rand. I was going to post this later, but I have
personally posted enough of the concepts in the above referenced document
(and numerous other NASA documents, hint, hint) to demonstrate that the
ignorance on this thread is not mine.

--

Daniel
Mount Charleston, not Charleston, SC

Old July 26th 03, 07:44 PM
Charleston

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:29:38 -0700, in a place far, far away,
"Charleston" made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

http://nodis3.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/...D=N_PG_8705_00

02_&page_name=main

Now go away looschanj and come back when you know what you are talking
about. You too, Rand.

I'm quite familiar with that document. I fail to see your point in
posting it.

And that is why you fail. Your arguments are inconsistent with that
document among others. I can not help it if you do not see this fact. I
will guess then that you have also seen the 0.999 for LEO number as well and
reject it too. There is no further point in discussing this issue with you.

Good day. Have the last word if that makes you feel better. BTW, the 0.999
number is no longer on the web AFAIK.

Old July 27th 03, 01:13 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:34:55 GMT, Rand Simberg made the sensational claim that:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:29:38 -0700, in a place far, far away,
"Charleston" made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

http://nodis3.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/...ge_na me=main

Now go away looschanj and come back when you know what you are talking
about. You too, Rand.

I'm quite familiar with that document. I fail to see your point in
posting it.

I fail to see his point in adressing me, I've had his Maxson ass killfiled from
the day he returned.

Old July 27th 03, 03:38 AM
Charleston

"LooseChanj" wrote in message
om...

I fail to see his point in adressing me, I've had his Maxson ass killfiled

from
the day he returned.

It's simple your response was worse than his. Limiting your post to SSH is
a bit cowardly as well. You two embarassed yourselves and don't even
realize that you did so.

Old July 27th 03, 03:42 AM
Charleston

"LooseChanj" wrote in message

I fail to see his point in adressing me, I've had his Maxson ass

killfiled from the day he returned.

It's simple your response was worse than his. Limiting your post to SSH is
a bit cowardly as well. You two embarassed yourselves and don't even
realize that you did so.

Oops corrected group posting deleted by looschanj.

Old July 29th 03, 02:19 AM
Charleston

"steve podleski" wrote in message

Rand Simberg
"Charleston" One in 999 is

what
NASA is shooting for in the next
generation space shuttle. That is a far cry from the joke set for the
current orbiter fleet which was about one in a million.

Do you have any cite for that nonsense?

When I worked for Martin Marietta on the external tank during the early
80's, I remember reading some documents that gave some extremely low
probabilities (it may have been 1 in a million or less) of failure of the
shuttle system that seemed ridiculously low even to a neophyte engineer.

You did qualify that with engineer (not manager) which is important. Really
Rand the number is 1 in 100,000.