No Evidence Crew Survived -- Till When?

Old July 20th 03, 08:05 PM
John Maxson

Default No Evidence Crew Survived -- Till When?

John Maxson wrote
in message ...

The tiles on those floating pieces certainly looked damaged
to me (in Av Week's excellent color photos), despite the fact
that they were designed to withstand very high heating.

The photo caption begins:

"Lower right-hand forward fuselage of the orbiter
Challenger ..."

Allegedly it was the *left-hand* forward fuselage which so
damagingly struck the water. My mind is open to heat, impact,
and crush damage at altitude. My book's conclusions (based
upon cause's different from NASA's) reopen the 'cabin' door.

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Old July 22nd 03, 05:27 PM
Lou Van Hille

Check these pages for several pictures of the remains of the orbiter :
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/...cuperes_OV.htm
and
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/...s_OV_part2.htm

This page for the remains of the Solid Rocket Boosters :
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/...uperes_SRB.htm

This page for the remains of the External Tank :
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/...cuperes_ET.htm

Lou

Old July 22nd 03, 06:23 PM
John Maxson

Well done! Good presentation technique, Lou.
Your site will go on my favorites list. Thanks!

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Lou Van Hille wrote
in message ...

http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/...peres_OV_part2.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:18 PM
RP Henry

"John Maxson" wrote in message
Well done! Good presentation technique, Lou.
Your site will go on my favorites list. Thanks!

Lou Van Hille wrote
in message ...

This page for the remains of the Solid Rocket Boosters :

http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/...uperes_SRB.htm

On your favorites list? One of the pictures on this page shows a burned-out
hole in an SRB near the joint, and is labelled:

Le trou de la fuite

which altavista translates as

the hole of the escape.

Old July 22nd 03, 11:03 PM
Lou Van Hille

"fuite" = "escape" but "fuite"=" leak" too

1) I did not make the site. It's a French site I found on the web and I find
the entire site quite impressive :
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/
It's also one of my favorite and one of the most complete (and interesting)
fan-made site I've found

2) "Le trou de la fuite" would be translated by "the hole of the leak" (or
"the hole where the leak was"... or "the place in the SRB where the flame
made a hole though the metal" or however you would correctly say it in
english... Sorry for my grammar mistakes).

Lou

Old July 22nd 03, 11:22 PM
RP Henry

"Lou Van Hille" wrote in message
"fuite" = "escape" but "fuite"=" leak" too

1) I did not make the site. It's a French site I found on the web and I

find
the entire site quite impressive :
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/
It's also one of my favorite and one of the most complete (and

interesting)
fan-made site I've found

2) "Le trou de la fuite" would be translated by "the hole of the leak" (or
"the hole where the leak was"... or "the place in the SRB where the flame
made a hole though the metal" or however you would correctly say it in
english... Sorry for my grammar mistakes).

You're doing just fine. I thought I knew what the French meant, but I
wanted an authoritative translation (clumsy as altavista's was).

Old July 22nd 03, 11:41 PM
Doug...

In article , richard.p.henry@saic says...

"Lou Van Hille" wrote in message
"fuite" = "escape" but "fuite"=" leak" too

1) I did not make the site. It's a French site I found on the web and I

find
the entire site quite impressive :
http://www.capcomespace.net/shuttle/
It's also one of my favorite and one of the most complete (and

interesting)
fan-made site I've found

2) "Le trou de la fuite" would be translated by "the hole of the leak" (or
"the hole where the leak was"... or "the place in the SRB where the flame
made a hole though the metal" or however you would correctly say it in
english... Sorry for my grammar mistakes).

You're doing just fine. I thought I knew what the French meant, but I
wanted an authoritative translation (clumsy as altavista's was).

As with any interface between different languages, the context in one
language is not as readily apparent in another. The word for "escape"
would naturally also apply to the concept of a leak, since a leak is a
matter of contents escaping from a container.

Consider the word "apartment" in English. When us English speakers hear
it, we all know (from the context in which it always appears) as a set of
rooms in a building where a person or family live. But if you look at
the word itself, it means "a place that is apart or separated from
something else." If you were a French speaker, and had never encountered
the word "apartment" in its familiar (to us) context, you might have a
hard time figuring out what the hell was being dicussed... and you'd
probably not be faulted for thinking that this "separation," this
"apartness," was forced or non-intentional.

--

It's not the pace of life I mind; | Doug Van Dorn
it's the sudden stop at the end... |
Old July 26th 03, 02:59 AM
John Maxson

Default Austin's Bob Mosley III Leads Vicious 'Shoot the 51-L Messenger' Campaign

http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=baoc0o%24gf6%241%40ins22.netins.net

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Roger Balettie wrote in message

-- please point out a single "quality post" from John.

Thank you.
Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Old July 26th 03, 04:44 AM
Charleston

"John Maxson" wrote in message
Roger Balettie wrote in message

-- please point out a single "quality post" from John.

http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=baoc0o%24gf6%241%40ins22.netins.net

No qualifier?

--

Daniel
Mount Charleston, not Charleston, SC

Old July 26th 03, 03:35 PM
John Maxson

Default An Antithesis to the Self-Resealing Human O-Ring

http://tinyurl.com/i4n1