Sirry igorant Amellicans... [re 'Dice-K' versus Daisuke]

Old August 22nd 06, 07:54 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default Sirry igorant Amellicans... [re 'Dice-K' versus Daisuke]

Sirry igorant Amellicans...

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong but Enomoto made up the nickname
'Dice-K' to help
ignorant tongue-twisted Americans to pronounce his name 'Daisuke'
correctly -- that is,
as in most spoken Japanese that I'm aware of, with the 'u' syllable strongly
elided and
barely heard, if at all. So to allege here, as AP does, that the 'U'
syllable is the strongest
and longest portion of his first name is, uh, anti-Japanese gobbledegook, or
something?

AP: American to become first female space tourist

MOSCOW Russia's space agency announced today that Dallas-area businesswoman
Anousheh (ah-NOO'-sheh) Ansari (ahn-SAH'-ree) will fly to the International
Space Station next month. snip The decision comes a day after officials
said Japanese businessman Daisuke (dye-SOO'-keh) Enomoto (eh-noh-MOH'-toh)
had failed a medical test. Enomoto was to blast off for the space station
September 14th.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.station
Revision

Daisuke (dye-SOO'-keh) Enomoto (eh-noh-MOH'-toh)

Ah yeah I see what you mean. AP went to a lot of trouble to enunciate
the Americanized, incorrect way to say his name. Dye-s'kay eh-NOH-mo-to.
But hey, they have been worn out with the Arab names lately. I still
dunno if my cab driver is Ahmed or Akmed.

Old August 27th 06, 03:39 AM posted to sci.space.station
Danny Dot[_1_]

--
Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Sirry igorant Amellicans...

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong but Enomoto made up the nickname
'Dice-K' to help
ignorant tongue-twisted Americans to pronounce his name 'Daisuke'
correctly -- that is,
as in most spoken Japanese that I'm aware of, with the 'u' syllable
strongly elided and
barely heard, if at all. So to allege here, as AP does, that the 'U'
syllable is the strongest
and longest portion of his first name is, uh, anti-Japanese gobbledegook,
or something?

I will not put names here, but I was honored to teach the first
Japanese/Shuttle astronaut how to do shuttle entries. He was one smart,
hardworking man. I did my best to pronounce his name correctly. I could
tell he appriciated my effort, though I am sure I did it badly :-)

I later shared an office with his CDR (again no names here). They traveled
to Japan post flight and were treated like rock stars. The CDR is now
flying for an airline. I never wanted to be an airline pilot. After flying
fighters it is too much like driving a bus to me.

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org