Space colonies seen from 1976

Old May 19th 09, 04:01 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Space colonies seen from 1976

Dwayne Day has a article about what the future of space colonies looked
like as seen by Isaac Asimov writing in National Geographic in 1976:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1376/1

Pat
Old May 19th 09, 04:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Neil Gerace[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
Dwayne Day has a article about what the future of space colonies looked
like as seen by Isaac Asimov writing in National Geographic in 1976:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1376/1

Speaking of NatGeo, the local fish&chip shop has a copy of the October 1981 edition, with its report on STS-1.
Old May 20th 09, 04:00 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

Speaking of NatGeo, the local fish&chip shop has a copy of the October
1981 edition, with its report on STS-1.

"Hail Columbia" IIRC?

Pat
Old May 20th 09, 05:30 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Speaking of NatGeo, the local fish&chip shop has a copy of the
October 1981 edition, with its report on STS-1.

"Hail Columbia" IIRC?

What's really annoying about this is that Jamestown, North Dakota has
_zero_ seafood restaurants of any type, fast or slow food.
We've got two Chinese food places, five pizza places, two submarine
sandwich places, three Mexican places...and zero seafood places.
You want seafood, you cook it yourself.
We used to have two chicken places, but they went out of business.
Which is probably just as well, as a girl named Barbi worked at one, and
after a bit too much beer I asked her mother if she knew what was in a
"Barbi Box" from that place.
When she asked what that consisted of, I replied: "Two breasts, two
legs, two thighs, a pair of buns, and all the honey you could want."
This seemed to upset her for some reason. :-)

Pat
Old May 20th 09, 09:08 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
G. L. Bradford

Default Perils of Just One World...( Space colonies seen from 1976)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Dwayne Day has a article about what the future of space colonies looked
like as seen by Isaac Asimov writing in National Geographic in 1976:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1376/1

Pat

====================

It's clear that Dwayne Day does not understand the perils of one world
(one room), a shrinking world (states, both natural and artificial, that
never before confronted, now confronting with a growing vengeance). Very
apparently he does not see the perils of Concentration Camp Earth. The
perils of a planet in the Universe where more than four-fifths of its
surface is now by law off limits to occupation, colonization and settlement
by the common of 'We The People'. We are TOLD by a would be totalitarian
state over us that the Universe at large is too costly for Mankind to expand
and grow out into? and yet more than four-fifths of what's left, this one
tiny planet, is by law off limits -- walled off -- to Mankind's expansion,
Mankind's growth! So damn much being "walled off"!, Mankind is literally
WALLED IN!

Mankind has been put within prison walls! ALL MANKIND has been put in
either prisoner status or prison overseer status (no real difference except
that some -- actually many-- would rather "rule in Hell" than have life
break out of Concentration Camp Earth into the frontier horizons of the
heavens)! Just one-fifth of one little planet's 'surface space' is the only
space now allowed to 'All Mankind'! And such tyrannical trapping of all
humanity, and all the rest of life here as well, in a corner, cornered, has
natural ill-consequences for the whole picture. Very savage natural
ill-consequences. An overall [Iron Curtain] is always loaded down within
with innumerable [iron curtains] impossible to overcome or overthrow. Only
overthrowing the one "overall Iron Curtain" can overthrow the pervasively
preventing walls within.

GLB

=====================

Old May 20th 09, 02:37 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Neil Gerace[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:

Neil Gerace wrote:

Speaking of NatGeo, the local fish&chip shop has a copy of the October
1981 edition, with its report on STS-1.

"Hail Columbia" IIRC?

Can't remember the title, mind like ... you know .. one of those things that holds peas but not water ...

Old May 20th 09, 02:38 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Neil Gerace[_3_]

OM wrote:

...Excellent NatGeo article, for that matter. Oddly, tho, whenever I
hit the Half-Assed Books store across the street from JSC, I always
see at least three copies on the shelf. Me, I've got two copies.

OM

It's probably not worth my stealing it, then :-)
Old May 20th 09, 03:50 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Neil Gerace[_3_]

Pat Flannery wrote:

Which is probably just as well, as a girl named Barbi worked at one, and
after a bit too much beer I asked her mother if she knew what was in a
"Barbi Box" from that place.
When she asked what that consisted of, I replied: "Two breasts, two
legs, two thighs, a pair of buns, and all the honey you could want."
This seemed to upset her for some reason. :-)

"Some people are so tetchy." - Stockard Channing, _Grease_
Old May 20th 09, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Pat Flannery

G. L. Bradford wrote:

[...]

Sir, it is time to seriously reconsider the wisdom of growing your own
mushrooms rather than buying them at the store.

Pat
Old May 20th 09, 09:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.physics
G. L. Bradford

G. L. Bradford wrote:

[...]

========================

Entropy always increases, and energy diminishes, in a closed world. Life
folding in upon itself is known as a 'complicate embryo'. One world, and one
world-ism, is strictly a matter of implacably diminishing returns. Principal
is only sustained, maintained, with a constant of new interest gained.

The (the new worlds) infant has to begin birthing from the (the old world)
womb in due time. Grow or die!

GLB

Space colonies seen from 1976 Pat Flannery Policy 11 May 20th 09 09:13 PM
space colonies Policy 4 March 1st 06 10:53 PM
space colonies Technology 0 February 28th 06 11:41 PM
Why Space Colonies? Hop David Policy 0 January 12th 05 05:47 PM
New Space Colonies book Mike Combs Policy 1 December 13th 03 06:25 PM