Scopes and Firearms (what to do with a day)

Old December 24th 03, 08:07 AM
TGTBTU

Default Scopes and Firearms (what to do with a day)

Just curious,

Leupold or Swarovski or Nikon. etc, etc, we are all on the same
threshold of fine optics for rilfle scopes. Same goes for AP, TV, SV,
Tak, Borg, etc, etc, (blah, blah) for astronomical scopes.

Most folk who shoot firearms, also own an astro scope (least in my
neck of the woods). Weird connection. Think about it. You are all
alone on the midst of the desert/plains/brush/bush/trees/mountains,
etc, etc. What else do you do? Bullsh!t with your so called astro
buddies? Come on. No one I know is this boring.

I always make a complete day (sometimes 2 days) of going to the dark
site to do a few things. Desert for me (So Cal). Ride the hell out
of the ATV's/Cycles during the morning. During the day what else do
you do? I have an electric trap thrower. Shoot about 300 rounds of 2
3/4" shotshell at clay (per person), crank atleast 50 rounds per
pistol I bring, 100 rounds of .223 per hour (mini-14), and 60 rounds
of 308 every 4 hours (scoped w/Leupold). This is of course does not
mention the 500 round frenzy I get into with my SKS. I do this till
the sun goes down. Then it is astro scope time. ST80 (fine spotting
scope for shots), an LX90 for when I am lazy for hunting DSO's or
showing my buddies the heavens, then of course my 10" Dob (homemade
w/parks mirror) for my own personal pleasure.

My only question, why just make the night fun? Star party? Yeah
right, one can roll all the cool things of astro/optics/guns/cycles
all into one.

What do you do when you are out in the zone?

Old December 24th 03, 10:30 AM
Jon Isaacs

What do you do when you are out in the zone?

Enjoy nature, watch the birds and animals and relaxt so that I can enjoy the
night time sky.

The spots that we choose are closed to shooting and ATVs. We are amused though
as we drive by Glamis at the dust and noise. Heading west on 79 it is
interesting to move from the clear skies and peace of the desert and see the
cloud of dust of the dune buggies, motorcycles and ATV. Certainly wouldn't
want any scope I own near that for long.

Of my astro-buddies, none of them have anything to do with guns except for me
and all my ballistics work is done in the laboratory.

jon isaacs

Old December 24th 03, 11:12 AM
Starlord

1st of all I don't even own a gun, had enough of them and what I had to do with
them over in Vietnam.

2nd, as I live out in the High Mojave Desert on the edge of Rosamond, even when
I'm able to go to the dark site I have hidden away, I would never do a bunch of
shooting, if I did, I'd lay odds that the Kern County cops would be up there
real fast, as there are some homes even out there.

3rd. It only takes about 20 mins to reach my site from my home, so it would be
like shooting in my own backyard.

If I did go someplace else, I'd most likly take along my camera for daylight
shooting, my rockhound gear to look for anything in the way of good samples. And
a good Sci-Fi book to read during the time I was awake. All this would do NO
Damage to the area.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"TGTBTU" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old December 24th 03, 01:39 PM
Davoud

TGTBTU:
Most folk who shoot firearms, also own an astro scope (least in my
neck of the woods). Weird connection. Think about it.

I shudder to think of it.

I always make a complete day (sometimes 2 days) of going to the dark
site to do a few things. Desert for me (So Cal). Ride the hell out
of the ATV's/Cycles during the morning. During the day what else do
you do? I have an electric trap thrower. Shoot about 300 rounds of 2
3/4" shotshell at clay (per person), crank atleast 50 rounds per
pistol I bring, 100 rounds of .223 per hour (mini-14), and 60 rounds
of 308 every 4 hours (scoped w/Leupold). This is of course does not
mention the 500 round frenzy I get into with my SKS. I do this till
the sun goes down...

Please, _please_ stay in beautiful sunny So Cal.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Old December 24th 03, 02:44 PM
Marty

I very much enjoy shooting, mainly target shooting with handguns, and am
fortunate enough to live in a place where I can get a decent view of the
night sky from my yard, and a better view within a few minutes drive,
along a nice outdoor shooting range about 3 minutes from my house. As a
Christmas present to myself, I intend to have the barrel relined on a
wonderful old Stevens #10 target pistol I inherited from my father...
it'll be almost like shooting with him...
Both hobbies tend to require one to function at his physiological
limits. (Few people realize how difficult it is to shoot a handgun
accurately.) Astronomy, though, tends to be better for just zoning out
and relaxing after a rough day. It takes very little effort to just lay
back and sail away through the constellations.
I also seem to be at odds with large segments of society with both
hobbies. When I was a boy, it was much easier to view a dark sky, and I
could buy any gun I wanted through the mail. Many well meaning people
have tried to make society safer by eliminating darkness and handguns.
Neither will work. Like it or not, we simply have to work as a society
on raising nicer people.
Off my soapbox now...
Marty

Old December 24th 03, 09:13 PM
Tony

Marty wrote

I also seem to be at odds with large segments of society with both
hobbies. When I was a boy, it was much easier to view a dark sky, and I could

buy any gun I wanted through the mail. Many well meaning people have tried to
make society safer by eliminating darkness and handguns.

Well Said. Sounds like theres a lot of anti-gunners here. I own about 8 guns -
mostly 22's. Thats about how many scopes I have as well. The guns get more use
than the scopes. Dont have to worry about clouds and if I get to the range and
its raining I simply use the indoor range. Sometime when I get a new "toy" I
have been known to go downstairs in my garage and blow off a few rounds. Try
that with your telescope. If someone breaks in my house while I'm sleeping I'd
feel much safer with a gun in my hands rather than a scope.

Speaking of when you were a boy and bought a gun via mail, I one day as a boy
took a bus downtown. I bought a 22 rifle and carried it (no box or case) onto
a bus to go back home. Now today if you carry a scope ( forget a gun) onto a
bus they might think its a bomb or some kind of weapon and go nuts.

Tony