God or the Big Bang

Old September 6th 03, 08:13 PM
Bettrel

Default God or the Big Bang

If you believe in God you believe in the Bible.

No, not necessarily true. One can believe in God without believing the Bible
is the literal truth; it may be that one believes both in God and the literal
truth of the Bible, but this doesn't follow from necessity. For the record,
I'm agnostic, leaning towards no God if I had to make a guess... the scientist
in me, though, says that since I can't prove there's no God, I can't know
there's no God.
Old September 6th 03, 08:26 PM
Matt Tulini

Bettrel wrote:

I'm agnostic, leaning towards no God if I had to make a guess... the scientist
in me, though, says that since I can't prove there's no God, I can't know
there's no God.

You know the old saying...

"A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle."

-Matt

--
Remove 'TINLC' to reply.

Old September 6th 03, 09:03 PM
Davoud

caz wrote:

It could be both. There is no proof, and it is not likely that there
will ever be proof. Some people claim to have evidence, others say that
there isn't any evidence, either. In other words, you have to answer
this one for yourself.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old September 7th 03, 12:11 AM
dwight elvey

"GO VOLS!" wrote in message ...
"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
There is a difference?

Intelligent design or happy accident would you be able to tell the
difference? And would it matter?

Yes there is. If you believe in God you believe in the Bible. In the Bible

Hi
I don't see why believing in God has to automatically mean that
you believe in the Bible. I believe in God but don't think there is
much in the Bible that explains how we got here.
First, there was something that happen, we call it the big bang.
Then there were a number of types of atoms created from this interesting
mess. Some rules of how things acted caused these to happen. In
this pile of atom types, the carbon atom when mixed just right
with some others would eventually create something that could ask the
question, "Is there a God?".
To tell the truth, I don't know how anyone that has a reasonable
grasp of how the universe is put together and actually goes out and
looks at it with a telescope could not believe in God.
God in the image of man? I doubt it!
I'm not even sure if there is life after death but I'm almost positive
that there is a God. I'm not sure why anyone would make the statement:
God = Bible. I see no justification.
Dwight

all things were created by God just simply speaking in six literal days. You
can't mix evolution with the Bible. You either believe in God and six
literal days or you don't believe in any god whatsoever and believe in
evolution or you believe is some other religion.

I don't believe in any god and think evolution is the best possible theory
with our current small understanding of science.

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old September 7th 03, 02:37 AM
Fcathell

Just remember - in the beginning man created god in his own image.
Old September 7th 03, 04:17 AM
Florian

you probably interpret "Let there be Light" as a
direct intervention...wave your Magic Wand thingy...

I "interpret" it as the writings of a nomadic desert tribe and their attempt
to explain where they came from. Nothing more.

-Florian

Old September 7th 03, 02:40 PM
Darian Rachal

"Florian" wrote in message ...
you probably interpret "Let there be Light" as a
direct intervention...wave your Magic Wand thingy...

I "interpret" it as the writings of a nomadic desert tribe and their attempt
to explain where they came from. Nothing more.

-Florian

Florian, A very good book on this subject is "The Source" by James
Michener. If you check it out, you might want to skip the first
chapter & begin with the part about the prehistoric group living in
the area that is now Israel. DR
Old September 7th 03, 04:11 PM
Florian

Florian, A very good book on this subject is "The Source" by James
Michener. If you check it out, you might want to skip the first
chapter & begin with the part about the prehistoric group living in
the area that is now Israel. DR

Hi Darian,

I have this book. Read it years ago. But the book is fiction is it not?
Michener does do good research however. I enjoyed the first chapters about
all the various cultures that lived at the site. Somehow i remember loosing
interest when it got to the later chapters. I think the book is still in my
library. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Florian

Old September 7th 03, 05:00 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:29:57 -0400, "GO VOLS!" ...reflected:

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
.. .
There is a difference?

Intelligent design or happy accident would you be able to tell the
difference? And would it matter?

Yes there is. If you believe in God you believe in the Bible. In the Bible
all things were created by God just simply speaking in six literal days. You
can't mix evolution with the Bible.

Would that you substituted "you" with "I", thank you.

As far as evolution is concerned, our bodies are merely based
upon every other that creeps and crawls upon the earth, and in
order to tread the ground, smell the flowers, eat your fellow
beings when having that ribeye and baked potato(not
that I'm a vegetarian), and then to gaze heavenward
to wonder upon it all.

You either believe in God and six literal days or you don't believe in any god
whatsoever and believe in evolution or you believe is some other religion.

Ah, but I am not a Baptist, nor any other literalist fundamentalist,
such as those that undoubtedly surrounded thee in thy youth.

I don't believe in any god and think evolution is the best possible theory
with our current small understanding of science.

Atheists do indeed worship, if only themselves.

Alan

" When I look at Thy heavens, the work
of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars
which Thou hast established; what is man
that Thou art mindful of him...? "

- Psalms 8:3-4 (RSVCE)
Old September 7th 03, 08:21 PM
Florian

Hi Alan,

I'm not a theist but i've always liked this verse from the Bible...

Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make
predictions month by month, let them save you from what is
coming upon you. (Isaiah 47:13)

;-)

-Florian