Time and Distance Questions

Old February 4th 04, 09:20 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

To All Light speed can be said it shortens the time(distance of space).
An object going A to B going at 99.999999999 of light speed shortens
the distance by one fourth This is 100% true in our macro realm,and in
Planck spacetime lengths it is also true,but distances there are not
measureable when speed is so very great,and distances so very short.
The photon realates this to itself. "The universe is infinitly small" So
small that it has no room to move,and that means its everywhere at once
Bert

Old February 4th 04, 10:30 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , OG
writes

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
To All Light speed can be said it shortens the time(distance of space).
An object going A to B going at 99.999999999 of light speed shortens
the distance by one fourth

To shorten the distance by one fourth the speed is 0.66c,

to shorten the distance to on fourth, the speed needs to be 0.968c.

There is a calculator at
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

The contraction at your speed would be about 99.99955 %

Corrections welcomed, but you aren't shortening the distance. That's the
mistake Jim Greenfield is making in the "Physics behind black hole
jets?" thread on sci.astro.
It's still four light years from here to Alpha Centauri, and as seen by
an outside observer it takes the photon four years to get there. The
starship going at 0.968c may only experience one year, but mission
control sees four.
BTW, which link from
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html is the right
one? That's a site to bookmark!
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old February 5th 04, 12:34 AM
OG

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
Corrections welcomed, but you aren't shortening the distance. That's the
mistake Jim Greenfield is making in the "Physics behind black hole
jets?" thread on sci.astro.
It's still four light years from here to Alpha Centauri, and as seen by
an outside observer it takes the photon four years to get there. The
starship going at 0.968c may only experience one year, but mission
control sees four.

This is a point I'd need to think about further, but my understanding is
like this:-

- as far as the traveller is concerned, the distance is reduced and the
on-board clock goes at the 'right' speed. Thus the on-board clock shows 1
year on arrival.
- as far as mission control is concerned, the distance is the same, but the
on-board clock goes slow, so the on-board clock shows 1 year on arrival.

I've not thought about it too much though - I'm prepared to accept
correction

BTW, which link from
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html is the right
one? That's a site to bookmark!

Sorry I posted the frame page link.
The link to the Lorentz contraction calculator is
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ativ/tdil.html

or you can go via Main page Relativity Length contraction

But you are right, it is a fantastic site!

Owen

Old February 5th 04, 05:28 AM
Odysseus

OG wrote:

- as far as the traveller is concerned, the distance is reduced and the
on-board clock goes at the 'right' speed. Thus the on-board clock shows 1
year on arrival.
- as far as mission control is concerned, the distance is the same, but the
on-board clock goes slow, so the on-board clock shows 1 year on arrival.

Yes, and to "mission control" the ship appears 'foreshortened' to
one-quarter of its rest length (and red-shifted as well), but it
looks perfectly normal to the traveller.

--
Odysseus
Old February 5th 04, 05:10 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

OG I was using the reference frame of a space ship going at
99.999999999 of "c' or how the photon relates to time going at "c" This
reminds me how gravity controls time. Being in a space ship just out
side the BH event horizon,and parked there for a year when you got back
to Earth 10,000 years would have past. Not hard to see how
time,space,motion,inertia,and gravity can be equivelent. Bert PS I
left out electricity and magnetizim PPS I have thought of two ways the
people in a space ship going at close to "c' can tell they are the one's
moving and not the scenery. That I know goes against classical
relativity thinking,but I have gone against relativity before. Bert