2003QO104

Old September 16th 03, 03:49 PM
Al Jackson

Default 2003QO104

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

I ain't gonna make any big deal about this 2.4 km asteroid having a
couple of Torino Scale 1's on its risk table.

But,
here is my question, there are more than 20 passes inside the Moons
orbit, I am guessing from the sigma impact distances and 'width' that
would still hold , with further computations. Should make for some
interesting radar observations. Optical too. Maybe a manned
expedition!

Kind of wish JPL would do an non-two body , geocentric animation of
this one.
Old September 25th 03, 01:06 PM
Hephaestus

(Al Jackson) wrote in message ...
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qo104.html

I ain't gonna make any big deal about this 2.4 km asteroid having a
couple of Torino Scale 1's on its risk table.

But,
here is my question, there are more than 20 passes inside the Moons
orbit, I am guessing from the sigma impact distances and 'width' that
would still hold , with further computations. Should make for some
interesting radar observations. Optical too. Maybe a manned
expedition!

Kind of wish JPL would do an non-two body , geocentric animation of
this one.

This might be a really kooky idea, but it passes at only 14 km/sec or
so, so the delta V is only about twice what it takes to get into orbit
.... how about putting a transponder on the thing? =) A nice corner
mirror for a laser would be fun too, but it's probably spinning ...

If it had a transponder, you could get accurate positions over quite a
substantial time period, and really nail the orbit down ... perhaps
even gather data about forces on the object (measure drift due to
solar pressure, etc).

Feasible or loony? =)

Old September 30th 03, 03:56 AM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Hephaestus wrote:
This might be a really kooky idea, but it passes at only 14 km/sec or
so, so the delta V is only about twice what it takes to get into orbit
... how about putting a transponder on the thing? =) A nice corner
mirror for a laser would be fun too, but it's probably spinning ...

Could you put a dozen or so of them on some kind of mesh that would wrap
around the thing? Then when it spins you still see at least one. Would
multiple transmitters, maybe at difference frequencies, so you could check
rotation by eclipsing of the individual ones tell you anything
interesting? A little bit about the mass distribution by precession
maybe?

3ch