FOIA on Challenger tapes ( Proper commemoration of Challenger Di

Old January 14th 06, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Default FOIA on Challenger tapes ( Proper commemoration of Challenger Di

It may be time to end some detail cover up of the Challenger disaster.
Its intersting regarding the responsibility of the engineers during
the final telcon too.

The Congress investigation report I mentioned here years ago had a
detail info I never read anywhere else. From Memory: After the famous
night telecom conference a signed fax with launch agreement from Morton
Thiokol to NASA/KSC was send. Its well known from the Rogers report.
But the Congress report noted a sentence on the original fax page not
published elsewhere.

It stated that this launch agreement is limited by the facts verbal
mentioned during the telecon. Or something that way. Thats a very
important thing from a legal view of what happend. As I understood
it, if the seal failed NASA would take 100% blame for it and nothing
on MTI. Its not the way it happend in the press. But wasnt it the legal
course afterwards?

The Congress investigation noted that such a sentence makes only sence
if the whole telecon was regularly taped. But they got the info that
no such tapes existed. I never bought that. The content of the telecon
was from its meaning well reconstructed by Rogers report. At least I
never heard something like critics here from people involved. As
reported some speakers from NASA like Mulloy were very clear in the
wording. Maybe it was to bad PR to get this voices up for docu history.
The tapes were probably only "restricted" or "confidential" at most.
Should be possible to get it by FOIA now. Except it got "Top Secret"
after lying to Congress...

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##