Shuttle to Earth communication?

Old January 6th 04, 05:23 PM
Christopher

Default Shuttle to Earth communication?

During BBC and the other British news reports of shuttle flights I see
that there is a TV camera on the flight deck the living deck and at
the far end of the shuttle bay all which show live coverage of
activities during the mission.

Can the shuttles communication equipment transmit live coverage of all
three cameras at once, and can NASA show them all simultaneously?
i.e. NASA TV showing split screen coverage of inside the flight deck
and outside the shuttle at the same time.

Old January 7th 04, 01:56 PM
Roger Balettie

"Christopher" wrote:
During BBC and the other British news reports of shuttle flights I see
that there is a TV camera on the flight deck the living deck and at
the far end of the shuttle bay all which show live coverage of
activities during the mission.

Can the shuttles communication equipment transmit live coverage of all
three cameras at once, and can NASA show them all simultaneously?
i.e. NASA TV showing split screen coverage of inside the flight deck
and outside the shuttle at the same time.

Hi Chris...

Disclaimer I'm not an INCO. /Disclaimer

To the best of my recollection, live coverage is limited to one camera at a
time, due to the large bandwidth required to transmit video along with the
rest of the Shuttle data stream.

Video from the Shuttle has to be when specific antenna coverage is available
on TDRS or when over a ground S-band tracking site.

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Old January 7th 04, 09:22 PM
Christopher

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:56:25 GMT, "Roger Balettie"
wrote:

"Christopher" wrote:
[...]

Right, thanks for that, often wondered why NASA switches from one
camara to another during eva's.