Peggy Whitson

Old April 21st 08, 12:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default Peggy Whitson

In the video released by NASA yesterday she was conspicuously absent
form welcoming ceremonies...has there been any word on her physical
condition after the rough landing (I mean besides the official
statement that everyone is ok)????????
Old April 21st 08, 01:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Have you ever tried this? I have not before you ask, but I believe it has
been tried and what happens is that the bungi thwacks into the body and the
effect is like a giant elastic band being pinged against you. Maybe they
should only recruit masochists?

I'm sure some gadget could be made to make it work though.

Seriously though, I do wonder what they will do on long duration planetary
missions. Cannot see an answer as the pressure needs to be constant and on
the whole body, including the blood. If you have ever been confined to bed
for a long time you will know you tend to pass out when you stand up as it
seems the body feels less blood is fine.

Brian

Email:

"John Doe" wrote in message
In the video released by NASA yesterday she was conspicuously absent
form welcoming ceremonies...

How long has she been in space for ?

Have NASa and the Russians evolved their exercise programme since the
station opened its doors ? Seems to me that they aren't yet at a point
where they could send someone to Mars and expect them to be functional
after landing.

It would be interesting to hear about any changes they have made to
exercise programs. I noticed the other day that they seem to enjoy
strapping a bunge cord to their feet and to the floor, and then
literally jumping up/down.

What they would really need is to have a harness that puts the bungee'
force to their shoulders. They way, when they jump up, the whole back
would work to absorb the "weight" from the bungee induced deceleration.

Old April 21st 08, 06:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Apr 20, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
In the video released by NASA yesterday she was conspicuously absent
form welcoming ceremonies...has there been any word on her physical
condition after the rough landing (I mean besides the official
statement that everyone is ok)????????

Never mind...the mystery has been solved

Scary landing tests "beginner" S.Korean astronaut
Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:05am EDT
By James Kilner

STAR CITY, Russia (Reuters) - Only the cool composure of her crewmates
calmed South Korea's first astronaut when she saw flames swirling
around their capsule during an unusually steep descent to Earth, she
said on Monday.

Yi So-yeon, a nanotechnology engineer from Seoul, returned to Earth on
Saturday after 11 days aboard the International Space Station (ISS),
along with Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko and U.S. astronaut Peggy
Whitson.

A technical glitch turned a routine return to Earth into a sharper
than usual descent that tested the crew members' stamina and nerve.
They landed in the Kazakh steppes about 420km (260 miles) wide of
their target.

"During the descent there was some kind of fire outside the Soyuz
capsule because we were going through the atmosphere," Yi said.

"At first I was scared, but the two other guys looked okay, so I tried
to look okay too."

Yi smiled and joked her way through a 30-minute news briefing at Star
City, the wooded, Soviet-era cosmonaut training centre on the edge of
Moscow.

By contrast, Malenchenko and Whitson looked tired and thin after
nearly six months in space. Their answers were short and Whitson
needed support to balance when she walked.

The 29-year-old Yi has become a sensation in South Korea since take-
off but she brushed this aside and said she has had little contact
with friends or family since returning.

"In fact, they are the heroes right now," Yi said, referring to
Malenchenko and Whitson. "I'm just a beginner and a little ashamed to
say that I am a hero."

She did, though, relate a more light-hearted incident on the

ISS.

"I sang 'Fly Me to the Moon'," Yi said about the 1950s pop song. "It's
my favorite song from university although at that time I didn't know I
would be an astronaut."

The capsule's so-called "ballistic" re-entry exposed the crew to twice
the usual gravitational forces. The flames Yi described may have been
caused by friction heating the capsule as it fell through the
atmosphere.

Whitson told reporters that Saturday's ballistic landing, was
irregular but not an emergency.

"The Soyuz has been through its history very reliable, there has
obviously been some issue in the last couple of descents which went
ballistic, but I'm sure the engineers will determine what the problems
are and get them fixed," she said.

In October, a Soyuz capsule carrying Malaysia's first space tourist
touched down about 200 km (125 miles) off course in a similar
ballistic landing caused by a technical glitch.

The Soyuz is the world's longest-serving manned space capsule. An
early version of the craft, the Vostok, carried the first person into
space in 1961.

Whitson, 48, has become the American with the longest amount of
cumulative time in space with 377 days.

Old April 21st 08, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message

The capsule's so-called "ballistic" re-entry exposed the crew to twice
the usual gravitational forces. The flames Yi described may have been
caused by friction heating the capsule as it fell through the
atmosphere.

They reckon? sarcasm

Old April 21st 08, 07:02 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
The Soyuz is the world's longest-serving manned space capsule. An
early version of the craft, the Vostok, carried the first person into
space in 1961.

What rubbish. The only way it's related to Vostok is through the evolution
of the launch vehicle; the spacecraft are completely different.

Old April 21st 08, 10:38 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
wrote in message

The capsule's so-called "ballistic" re-entry exposed the crew to twice
the usual gravitational forces. The flames Yi described may have been
caused by friction heating the capsule as it fell through the
atmosphere.

They reckon? sarcasm

Most likely it's just the default plasma sheath, but yeah, I agree with you.
There's a lot of "no big deal" going on here.

Seems as if we had that before.

Good thing that CRATER software shows that the tiles are safe after all
those hits of foam.....

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old May 3rd 08, 12:04 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Boris NoGoodnik

wrote in message
The Soyuz is the world's longest-serving manned space capsule. An
early version of the craft, the Vostok, carried the first person into
space in 1961.

What rubbish. The only way it's related to Vostok is through the
evolution
of the launch vehicle; the spacecraft are completely different.

Actually Soyuz is 3rd generation after Vostok. There was Voshod in between.

Old May 3rd 08, 06:27 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message

The Soyuz is the world's longest-serving manned space capsule. An
early version of the craft, the Vostok, carried the first person into
space in 1961.

What rubbish. The only way it's related to Vostok is through the
evolution
of the launch vehicle; the spacecraft are completely different.

Actually Soyuz is 3rd generation after Vostok. There was Voshod in

between.

Yep, but Voshkod used the Vostok LV, and I said "through the evolution of
the launch vehicle; the spacecraft are completely different". LV are
related, but the Soyuz has no connection with the Vostok/Voshkod.

Old May 3rd 08, 02:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

wrote in message

... The Soyuz is the world's longest-serving manned space capsule. An
early version of the craft, the Vostok, carried the first person into
space in 1961.

What rubbish. The only way it's related to Vostok is through the
evolution
of the launch vehicle; the spacecraft are completely different.

Actually Soyuz is 3rd generation after Vostok. There was Voshod in

between.

Yep, but Voshkod used the Vostok LV, and I said "through the evolution of
the launch vehicle; the spacecraft are completely different". LV are
related, but the Soyuz has no connection with the Vostok/Voshkod.

Both are incorrect.

Soyuz spacecraft is 2nd generation. Voshkod was a modified Vostok

The Voshkod spacecraft used the Soyuz launcher