...Looks like Opportunity is Ready to Enter Victoria Crater

Old August 31st 07, 03:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Jonathan

Default ...Looks like Opportunity is Ready to Enter Victoria Crater

Take the plunge baby.....you can do it!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P1214R0M1.HTML

This should be the most interesting part of the entire mission.

Old August 31st 07, 01:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Craig Fink

Jonathan wrote:

Take the plunge baby.....you can do it!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P1214R0M1.HTML

This should be the most interesting part of the entire mission.

For Opportunity, Spirit landed in a much more interesting part of Mars :-)

I hope Opportunity gets a good dusting off in the Victoria Crater to clean
off the solar arrays...

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

Spirit is still low on power.
Old August 31st 07, 01:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
kT

Jonathan wrote:

Take the plunge baby.....you can do it!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P1214R0M1.HTML

This should be the most interesting part of the entire mission.

I wonder if they'll get around to examining the putative blobula which
'appears' to be oozing out of the cliff wall right there.

That's what it looked like from afar, but I'm sure there must be a
'prozaic' explanation. There always is.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old August 31st 07, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Unclaimed Mysteries[_2_]

kT wrote in part:
... I'm sure there must be a
'prozaic' explanation. There always is.

I like that word. I'm going to steel it.

C.

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
Old August 31st 07, 08:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Hop David

Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:

kT wrote in part:

... I'm sure there must be a
'prozaic' explanation. There always is.

I like that word. I'm going to steel it.

C.

Is that anything like a Zoloft explanation?

Hop
Old August 31st 07, 08:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Unclaimed Mysteries[_2_]

Jonathan wrote:

Take the plunge baby.....you can do it!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P1214R0M1.HTML

This should be the most interesting part of the entire mission.

I fantasize that one day, some of the younger JPL rover drivers will be
elderly guest passengers on an interplanetary trip to see the tracks in
the Martian sands that they made waaaaay back in Ought-Seven.

I used to have the same thoughts about the Apollo astronauts getting a
ride back to the lunar landing sites, but it doesn't look like that's
going to happen.

Oh, well. At least Buzz Aldrin got to act with Homer Simpson.

C. - sentimental nerd

--
It Came From Corry Lee "Careful! They're ruffled!" Smith's Unclaimed
Mysteries. http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Old August 31st 07, 11:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Pat Flannery

Hop David wrote:

I like that word. I'm going to steel it.

C.

Is that anything like a Zoloft explanation?

I'm still picturing "Prozac" carved out of steel. :-)
"Prozac! Now with added iron!"
Wouldn't "Zoloft" make a great name for some alien god?
"Captain...it appears that this god 'Zoloft' is nothing more than a
highly sophisticated computer."
"For...God's ...sake, Spock...we have to destroy it...for their sake!"
"Captain, wouldn't that be a major violation of the Prime Directive?"
"The Prime Directive applies to PEOPLE, Spock! ....not to godless
machines who let live people live happily forever in deathless
bliss...they must suffer...and die... it's what makes them HUMAN!"
"Jim, I will point out that they are basically six-foot-high silicon
based dung beetles...does the word "human" really apply to them?"
"And they will ALWAYS BE dung beetles if they aren't allowed to
evolve....as is their RIGHT! Listen to me, all of you!
This isn't a GOD; it's just A MACHINE! We...the DUNG BEETLES of Manure
Majoris...in order to form a more PERFECT UNION..." :-)

Pat