ASTRO: NGC 7023 Iris Nebula

Old January 28th 07, 10:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 7023 Iris Nebula

Thanks to two huge red pine (over 100' tall) that block snow from piling
up on my observatory roof I've got a blind spot near the pole. This
object is only out of the trees for about a half hour out of each 24
hours. So taking it was a real chore. Add clouds every time and it
took me 18 nights over 3 months. Then I found a problem I hadn't
counted on. The warmest night I recall was 10C. I know the coldest was
about -31C. That 40C temp difference shows up as a image size
difference! Those taken at the coldest temps are larger than those at
the warmest. I'd have thought it the other way around. CCDSoft refused
to align them. AIM did align them without complaint, just didn't tell
me it didn't work. Since I was processing the center of the image I
didn't notice the problem until I was about done. I tried to match it
using Photoshop to resize the images but my attempts all failed worse
than going without correction. Anyone know if Registar or any other
such aligning program resizes slightly. From my attempts in Photoshop
it appears the size change isn't linear, the right side enlarged more
than the left so just resizing doesn't work, they need resizing that is
different for different parts of the image! Either that or I don't
image over a 40C temperature range. While the times look long, these
were nearly all taken with clouds so the total light is far less than
the times would indicate. I used every frame I could get my hands on.
It has now moved where it is in the trees all evening so I have to wait
until the small window opens next fall to retry it.

14" LX200R@F/10, L=57x5' R=12x5', GB=11x5' each all binned 2x2,
STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7023L4.75R1GB.92.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	395
Old January 29th 07, 12:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Try Picture Window. It has resizing, stretch and a bunch of other features
that help in stacking images. I did one of M20 last summer where the GEM
flipped over the meridian for the LUM channel and PW was the only program I
had that would put it together. Here is a quick process to give you a
looksy. 12,2,2,4

Joe

----

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m20c.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	396
Old January 29th 07, 01:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've got it and it doesn't have anything Photoshop doesn't that I can
see. Nearly all my shots involve a meridian flip. I try to take them
when highest so a flip is common. Usually I do the lum on one side and
maybe the start of red then finish the RGB frames on the other side.
That's no problem to align at all. Both CCDSoft and AIM4Windows handles
that just fine. My Uranus movie had a meridian flip in it as well.
Though due to my tree problem, this shot was done entirely west of the
meridian.

I see folks taking shots using one type scope for the Lum and an
entirely different one with different field distortions that take the
RGB yet they match them perfectly. Think that my distortions change
slightly with a change in focus position causing the problems to be more
than just resizing evenly.

Rick

Old January 29th 07, 01:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I didn't realize you'd attached the M20 shot. It came out very well.
Did you post it this summer? If so I missed it. Must have been when I
was "down under". Was the lum one 12 minute shot? Looks like it was
made from shorter ones from star size.

Your seeing down low is better than mine it appears. For us northerners
low objects take special nights, least for me they do. I'd hoped
looking over the water would stabilize things but doesn't seem to.

Rick

Old January 29th 07, 10:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

This is good Rick J.
Nicely done. even if you had problems, still looks great...
You did get my invite correct?..

Old January 29th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Wouldn't let me in. In fact it cut me off this news group too until I
killed it. I don't have OE in my on line machine and apparently that's
a requirement.
Rick

Old January 30th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

NO OE isn't just any NG will work. Thunderbird works one of the other guys has it.
Just make sure you have the correct password and login and NNTP info...