Agena target question

Old November 17th 04, 10:53 PM
TVDad Jim

Default Agena target question

Are there any Agena / Gemini target backups or mockups on display
anywhere? I remember seeing a mockup at KSC back in the Apollo days,
but I don't think there's one there anymore.

Also, what's the etymology of Agena as being used for the upper-stage
name? As far as I know, Agena is a 1st-magnitude star in Centaurus,
and its name means "the knee."
Old November 18th 04, 12:30 AM
w9gb

"TVDad Jim" wrote in message
m...
Are there any Agena / Gemini target backups or mockups on display
anywhere? I remember seeing a mockup at KSC back in the Apollo days,
but I don't think there's one there anymore.

Also, what's the etymology of Agena as being used for the upper-stage
name? As far as I know, Agena is a 1st-magnitude star in Centaurus,
and its name means "the knee."

The Agena upper stage used as a target and docking vehicle (GATV-x) for the
manned Gemini program, was actually an Agena D.
http://www.skyrocket.de/space/index_...at/kh-5_ab.htm

The earlier "A" and "B" models were specific to a booster (e.g. Atlas or
Thor), while the "D" model was a model "B" which could accept a variety of
payloads (in a conical payload section in the nose) and be fitted to Atlas,
Thor or Titan launchers without changes to the basic Agena.

The Agena used the Bell XLR81 liquid-propellant rocket engine, and was
initially known informally as Hustler, because the XLR81 engine was
originally developed for a (later cancelled) rocket-powered weapons pod for
the B-58 Hustler bomber. The U.S. Air Force allocated the formal missile
designator RM-81 .. which was later changed to Agena
http://www.designation-systems.net/d...pp1/rm-81.html

Where are the remaining Agena (of the 356 produced)?

The Smithsonian has an Agena B stage listed in its space artifacts
inventory. It will likely be eventually on display with a Corona satellite
or Gemini capsule at the new Udvar-Hazy annex of the NASM.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarh...acts_space.cfm

The space wing opened in late October 2004 (Enterprise shuttle refurbishment
completed). Henry Spencer has a posting about his recent visit.

It appears that some (or parts) of Agena D models may still be at Norton AFB
http://brisance.howiecam.com/thorunkn.htm

In addition to the NASM, the following museums or locations list in their
inventory an Agena :

Kansas Cosmosphere, Hutchinson, KS
Kennedy Space Center (likely in outdoor rocket garden display)
U S Air Force Museum, Dayton, OH (Agena A model - Corona/Discoverer program)
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/space_flight/sf9.htm
U S Air Force Space Museum, Cocoa Beach, FL (list both Agena A and B models)
Pima Air & Space Museum, Arizona (Thor-Agena: DSV-2C - Corona/Discoverer
program)
In addition the Lawrence D. Bell Aircraft Museum has on display the Bell
engine used for the Agena stage. The engine has an outstanding reliability
record of 99.7 percent (production started in 1957).
=============
As for the star named Agena, it is indeed in the constellation Centaurus and
is also known as "Hadar" or Beta Centauri. Hadar stands for power or
greatness -- origin is Scandinavian.

Hadar / Agena: 1992 position R.A. 14h01.7m, dec. ?60°13'. A bluish-white
giant of spectral class B1 II, it has an apparent magnitude of 0.63, making
it one of the 10 brightest stars in the sky. Its distance from the earth is
more than 400 light-years. Hadar is a visual binary star.
http://www.alcyone.de/SIT/mainstars/SIT000489.htm

gb

Old November 18th 04, 08:43 AM
Dave Michelson

TVDad Jim wrote:

Also, what's the etymology of Agena as being used for the upper-stage
name? As far as I know, Agena is a 1st-magnitude star in Centaurus,
and its name means "the knee."

ARPA proposed to name this vehicle for a star because, as an upper
stage, it didn't ignite until it reached high altitude and would look
like a new star. Lockheed liked the idea because many of their other
projects were named after stellar phenomena.

The various stages of the Scout launch vehicle were also named after stars.

--
Dave Michelsn