Felxibility of Apollo design (was Space station future adrift (Soyuz purchase crisis) )

Old December 9th 04, 02:41 PM

I have in
front of me right now, a drawing that Owen left me, of the "Radial
"Module All-Rigid Space Station" that one of the draftsment did for him
in 1962; designed to be launched on a Saturn V, using a ciyple of
"6-man ferry-logistics vehicles" docked to it, basically an Apollo
CSM. Owen also prepared (and patented) a design for a trans-Mars space
station based on this design (I think that one was planning on using a
NERVA upper stage to push it out to Mars and back again)---this was
actually released by one of the commercial model companies as a
plastic kid's model in the 1960s, as "NASA's Space Station."

MPC's Pilgrim Observer. One of the best fictional spacecraft kits ever
made.

Gene

Old December 9th 04, 04:10 PM
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
oups.com...
MPC's Pilgrim Observer. One of the best fictional spacecraft kits ever
made.

A quick Google search brings up a page with pictures. Very cool looking
design.

http://www.greysteele.com/models/pilgrim.htm

Jeff

Old December 9th 04, 09:35 PM
Henry Spencer

John Savard wrote:
The original specs for what became the CSM called for missions in Earth
orbit and lunar orbit... but not a landing.

And, of course, that means that if the Saturn V could be pressed into
sending men to the Moon, the later rocket, had it been developed, would
have been, if not well suited to, at least capable of, sending men to
Mars.

Careful here. The Saturn V appeared *after* the goal changed to a landing.

Those original CSM specs envisioned flying on a Saturn I, and later on one
of various concepts for a Saturn II. Circumlunar flights were thought to
require orbital assembly, and any lunar landing would probably require
both orbital assembly and a larger launcher, plus perhaps a small space
station as an assembly base.

Only after the goal became more ambitious and the schedule was greatly
compressed did the rockets start to balloon in size. The Saturn V was
*enormous* by the standards of the early planning -- bigger than most of
the old Nova concepts for Saturn follow-ons -- and shared only the name
and a few odds and ends of hardware with the original Saturn concepts.
And at that, using two *Saturn Vs* with orbital assembly was the baseline
concept for a while.

As it is, though, we have Dr. Zubrin who came up with a way to make even
the mere Saturn V capable of sending men to Mars.

The Saturn V was perfectly capable of sending men to Mars, provided you
didn't insist on doing it with a single launch. Orbital assembly simply
would come back into the picture at that point. (Note that even Zubrin's
ideas need two launches -- he just does the assembly on Mars instead of
in Earth orbit. Not everyone agrees that this is the best approach.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old December 9th 04, 09:37 PM
Henry Spencer

Derek Lyons wrote:
There is nothing modular about
the Apollo spacecraft. The CSM is a matched pair always and forever.

Wasn't there some non-trivial thoughts about a light-weight mini-SM for
use with Earth-orbit missions like Skylab?

There was. But substituting a SM late in the game isn't the same as
designing a modular system.

And likewise, designing a modular system which ends up only existing in
one version isn't the same as designing a non-modular system. Note that
Owen Maynard, who Kieran was quoting, was there, and you weren't.

Hint: think of what the M stands for in CM, SM, LM.
Old December 9th 04, 11:08 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message

Hint: think of what the M stands for in CM, SM, LM.

And RM.

Old December 9th 04, 11:12 PM
Rusty

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:08:37 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

..

Hint: think of what the M stands for in CM, SM, LM.

And RM.

Apollo also used one more Module. Can anyone name it?

- Rusty

Old December 9th 04, 11:47 PM
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

A quick Google search brings up a page with pictures. Very cool looking
design.

http://www.greysteele.com/models/pilgrim.htm

The Apollo in the kit has two odd features- its CM is corrugated on the
exterior like a Mercury or Gemini, and there's a odd depression on the
CM that has a chrome rod set in it.
You can see the modified Apollo on this PDF of the instruction sheet;
it's on page 4, step 11:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/model...ns/mpc9001.pdf
The Pilgrim Observer's design has a major problem; there is almost no
propellant on board for the three base-mounted J-2 engines.

Pat

Old December 10th 04, 02:13 AM
Dave Michelson

Derek Lyons wrote:

sigh It's not like you Henry to not actually read and comprehend
the initial post.

Please just admit that you were wrong and be done with it.

Also, you might consider leaving the lawyer routine to Herb. For one
thing, he's better at it than you are.

--
Dave Michelson

Old December 10th 04, 02:22 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
When you do, you note the modularity is defined as 'being able to

leave bits not needed behind', something the Apollo spacecraft is
decidedly not able to do. Whether it's the super-heavy J mission SM,
or the ultra lightweight CRV SM, the CM is wedded always and forever
to a SM.

Reentry.

Space station future adrift (Soyuz purchase crisis) Michael Kent Policy 1 December 3rd 04 05:26 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Space Station Agency Leaders Look To The Future Ron Baalke Space Shuttle 0 July 30th 03 05:51 PM