Digital compact camera - low light, low weight, and threaded lens

Old September 20th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro.ccd-imaging,alt.astronomy
James Harris

Default Digital compact camera - low light, low weight, and threaded lens

On 16 Sep, 21:22, James Harris wrote:

Has anyone had success in attaching a low weight, low light compact
digital camera to a telescope eyepiece for imaging the night sky? I
already have a good attachment using the following

ETX-90
Standard Meade lenses
Digi-T adapter -http://www.scopetronics.com/dtsystems.htm
Olympus C4040Z camera
Cam2com software -http://www.sabsik.com/

The problem is that the camera is slightly heavier than I would like.
At 420 grammes it seems a bit of a load on the telescope. I'd rather
avoid counterweights so I'm looking for a more modern and lighter
camera. The basic requirement is that it have a threaded attachment
like the one shown below so I can couple it directly to the eyepiece,
and be low weight. One that has good low light performance would be
good.

The threading on which the Digi-T adapter mounts is just visible in
this link showing the lens adapter tube that couples the Digi-T to the
camera.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=200558-410

In case anyone hasn't tried it, the threaded mounting is far more
solid and far easier to use than those awkward rods-and-rings bits of
meccano that hold the camera via its tripod attachment.

Asking on wider range of newsgroups. Maybe others have already gone
down this road. Not sure if this will invoke derision from the CCD
folks.... :-)

--
James
Old September 21st 08, 05:56 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro.ccd-imaging,alt.astronomy
SkySea[_6_]

[...]

One thing you might try is to remove the batteries and use the
external 120V power adapter. 4AAAs weigh 120 gm. Even if that leaves a
heavy camera, it'll lighten the requirement for the counterweights, if
you feel you still need those.