Color photo and panorama of Titan's surface

Old January 15th 05, 06:34 PM
Pat Flannery

Default Color photo and panorama of Titan's surface

Well, if Mars is "The Red Planet", then Titan is "The Yellow Moon":
http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...50115color.jpg
Here's the sizes of the rocks or ice blocks near the probe:
http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...50115sizes.jpg
Looking a lot like a coastline, here's a descent picture from 8km
altitude: http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...5composite.jpg
.....and a 360 degree panorama from 8 km altitude:
http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...0115mosaic.jpg
That almost looks like a volcanic cone around 2/3rds of the way to the
right.

Pat
Old January 15th 05, 07:52 PM
Rocky Top

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Well, if Mars is "The Red Planet", then Titan is "The Yellow Moon":
http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...50115color.jpg
Pat

How is it that the areas of "no data" on the top left and
bottom left of the picture are also colored yellow?
According to ESA "This is the coloured view, following
processing to add 'reflection spectra data,' gives a better
indication of the actual colour of the surface."

Frankly, it simply appears to be this photo
http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...50115sizes.jpg
tinted yellow in photoshop.

RT

Old January 15th 05, 08:40 PM
Alan Erskine

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Well, if Mars is "The Red Planet", then Titan is "The Yellow Moon":
http://spaceflightnow.com/cassini/im...50115color.jpg

I'm sure they've just got their signals mixed up; that looks an awful lot
like Mars to me. Perhaps all planetary surfaces with an atmosphere look
like this - Venus being a case in point.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old January 16th 05, 03:14 AM
OM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:52:53 GMT, "Rocky Top"
wrote:

How is it that the areas of "no data" on the top left and
bottom left of the picture are also colored yellow?

....Frost. Chalk it up to that, son.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old January 16th 05, 04:57 AM
Christopher M. Jones

wrote:

How is it that the areas of "no data" on the top left and
bottom left of the picture are also colored yellow?

...Frost. Chalk it up to that, son.

Huygens did not have color imaging equipment, it had a
combination of grayscale imagers and spectrometers. These
colored images seem to be the grayscale images tinted to
reflect the overall color balance seen by the spectrometers.
Which is not really accurate, but does provide some limited
sense of what it would look like.
Old January 16th 05, 07:49 AM
Pat Flannery

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

Which is not really accurate, but does provide some limited
sense of what it would look like.

And it looks strange- almost luminous from this shot....you keep
picturing someone singing "I'm just mad about Saffron, Saffron's mad
about me" out there in the distance.

Pat
Old January 16th 05, 08:17 AM
JPD

"Alan Erskine" was moved to say:

I'm sure they've just got their signals mixed up; that looks an awful lot
like Mars to me. Perhaps all planetary surfaces with an atmosphere look
like this - Venus being a case in point.

Low light. Everything tends to a dull orange. Enhance it, and it
looks yellow.

--

JPD

SGFN
Old January 16th 05, 09:17 AM
Rusty Barton

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:49:09 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

Which is not really accurate, but does provide some limited
sense of what it would look like.

And it looks strange- almost luminous from this shot....you keep
picturing someone singing "I'm just mad about Saffron, Saffron's mad
about me" out there in the distance.

Pat

If I hold a red lens over my right eye, will it be 3-D? 8-)

-Rusty
Old January 16th 05, 10:55 AM
OM

wrote:

And it looks strange- almost luminous from this shot....you keep
picturing someone singing "I'm just mad about Saffron, Saffron's mad
about me" out there in the distance.

....Oh really? I was thinking "Watch out where the huskies go, and
don't you eat that yellow snow!"

Frank ZappOM

Old January 16th 05, 03:37 PM
Terrell Miller

Alan Erskine wrote:

I'm sure they've just got their signals mixed up; that looks an awful lot
like Mars to me. Perhaps all planetary surfaces with an atmosphere look
like this - Venus being a case in point.

yeah, part of me has goosebumps because we're seeing something never
before seen in human history (maybe ever)...but there's a lot of me
that's yawning. Hoo boy, more pastel rocks.

--
Terrell Miller

"Every gardener knows nature's random cruelty"
-Paul Simon George Harrison