Aurora Tonight

Old October 15th 03, 01:11 AM
Michael A. Covington

Default Aurora Tonight

Thanks for the alert. I'm cross-posting this on sci.astro.amateur because
this indicates a good chance of an aurora in the United States. England is
farther from the North Magnetic Pole than most of the U.S., even the South.

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi All

Very bright aurora seen this evening with a double arc with a base
height of about 15deg and azimuth range of about 300-040 deg. Top of
display about 40-45 deg. Very bright patches at extreme ends of
display around 10:25pm local time with some horizontal movement of
features.

Could be a good sign of things to come this winter. I know I am lucky
enough to live very north in the UK but if you live in the south do
not think you will never see an aurora. I have seen excellent photos
taken of a display observed from Chichester.

If you want to know more about making observations of the aurora and
to see a few images I have taken from the UK please visit my website
at;

www.morayskies.ontheweb.com

Sorry if you have problems accessing the site, BT are giving me a poor
service.

Richard
57' 42" N, 3' 26"W

Old October 15th 03, 01:43 AM
Dan Wenz

Michael A. Covington wrote:

Thanks for the alert. I'm cross-posting this on sci.astro.amateur because
this indicates a good chance of an aurora in the United States. England is
farther from the North Magnetic Pole than most of the U.S., even the South.

So naturally it's raining here in Maryland, USA :-(

Old October 15th 03, 01:48 AM
Richard DeLuca

In article ,
Dan Wenz wrote:

So naturally it's raining here in Maryland, USA :-(

Ditto here in NY.......
Old October 15th 03, 05:32 PM
John McRoberts

"Michael A. Covington" wrote
in message ...

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Has the north pole slipped, I thought most of the US was south of 49th
parallel, whereas most of england is north of the 50th.

That is unless Alaska is most of the US.

John

Old October 15th 03, 05:47 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:32:18 +0100, "John McRoberts"
wrote:

Has the north pole slipped, I thought most of the US was south of 49th
parallel, whereas most of england is north of the 50th.

That is unless Alaska is most of the US.

The magnetic pole is what matters for auroras, and that is well south of the
rotational pole, under North America.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 15th 03, 06:19 PM
Stephen Tonkin

John McRoberts wrote:
Has the north pole slipped, I thought most of the US was south of 49th
parallel, whereas most of england is north of the 50th.

The North Magnetic Pole is near Baffin Island, IIRC, not at the
Geographic North Pole. Michael was entirely correct.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old October 15th 03, 06:33 PM
John McRoberts

wrote:

Has the north pole slipped, I thought most of the US was south of 49th
parallel, whereas most of england is north of the 50th.

That is unless Alaska is most of the US.

The magnetic pole is what matters for auroras, and that is well south of

the
rotational pole, under North America.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

After some google research its approximately 82deg North, 112deg W.
curtesy of http://www.geolab.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/northpole_e.shtml

John