SpaceX CRS-5 Scrub Till Jan 9th

Old January 8th 15, 01:55 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX CRS-5 Scrub Till Jan 9th

In article ,
says...

"JF Mezei" wrote in message
eb.com...

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

Does the stage one have any flashing light as it falls back to earth and
floats ? I assume that once close enough, recovery ships would have
large floodlights to illuminate the "worksite". But flashing lights
might be all that is needed for the ships to get close enough.

Close enough to what?

You do realize the stage is intended to LAND on the barge, not float in the
ocean.

Quite true. Hence the big yellow "X" painted on the deck of the barge
right in the center of a huge yellow bullseye. ;-)

The barge is to remain relatively stationary, using "hydro-thrusters" to
maintain its position. The 1st stage is the vehicle with the active
vehicle.

This is quite similar to landing on an aircraft carrier. The aircraft
carrier need only maintain its direction and attitude to provide a
relatively stable runway for a Navy aircraft or helicopter to target.

Jeff
Old January 8th 15, 04:54 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:55:20 AM UTC-5, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

"JF Mezei" wrote in message
[...]

Another note, there is significant deck lighting deployed on the "barge" (don't all it that to the face of Hans Koenigsmann!*) er, I mean the Autonomous Spaceport Docking Ship.

http://spacenews.com/wp-content/uplo...eX-879x485.jpg

If the landing attempt is video streamed that may been the most prominent visible item seen in the video. I am unfamiliar with any FAA requirement for lights on the booster, after all, until now boosters only very briefly occupy an airspace and one that is supposed to be in a NOTAM exclusion zone! I could see having strobes on the booster, but how would you mount left/right red/green lighting? Maybe top/bottom? Don't forget the engine flame will also be a prominent visible feature at night! Jeff or anyone out there know if there is a FAA requirement for strobes on a rocket booster? Very interesting question!

Dave

* http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason...rgo-stage.html

Old January 9th 15, 12:34 AM posted to sci.space.station
Dr J R Stockton[_195_]

In sci.space.station message
raweb.com, Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:39:51, JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot@vaxinati
on.ca posted:

New launch date:

@SpaceX selects Sat., Jan 10 at 4:47a ET to launch #ISScargo mission to
the @Space_Station

Does the stage one have any flashing light as it falls back to earth and
floats ?

This time, Stage 1 is not intended to float.

I assume that once close enough, recovery ships would have
large floodlights to illuminate the "worksite".

Stage one's lower end does itself emit a quantity of light during each
engine burn.

But flashing lights
might be all that is needed for the ships to get close enough.

Radar has been invented. ISTM that even the technology described in
ACC's "Glide Path" would more or less suffice, and there have been
advances since then

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old January 9th 15, 01:15 AM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 3:40:43 PM UTC-5, JF Mezei wrote:
On 15-01-07 22:50, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

You do realize the stage is intended to LAND on the barge, not float in the
ocean.

Wow. Didn't know that. At the launch site, I just see a standard looking
rocket, so I didn't even think the first stage was designed to land.
Does it have legs that pop out ?

Yes. Well not "pop out" exactly, but "fold down". You are behind the times. I would recommend you he

http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

Click on the "+" sign next to the protrusions alongside the rocket body at the base-end of the rocket.

There is ample lighting aboard the landing craft, but I suspect for the C&C being used it isn't necessary.

Dave
Old January 9th 15, 01:19 AM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 7:15:29 PM UTC-5, David Spain wrote:

Yes. Well not "pop out" exactly, but "fold down". You are behind the times. I would recommend you he

http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

And also he

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/23/7...paceport-boats

Dave

CRS-3 Scrub David Spain Space Station 21 April 21st 14 01:47 PM
SpaceX and NASA Host Teleconference Today on SpaceX 2 Mission to Space Station Jeff Findley[_2_] Policy 5 March 4th 13 10:40 PM
Scrub! Gareth Slee Space Shuttle 8 September 8th 06 09:36 PM
SCRUB again!!! Erik Gunnes Space Shuttle 1 September 8th 06 04:33 PM
SCRUB! Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 10 September 8th 06 01:51 AM