NASA studies new booster (UPI)

Old May 7th 04, 03:05 AM
Dick Morris

Default NASA studies new booster (UPI)

Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

That original paragraph is a bit misleading, by itself. Read the rest
of the original (4 May) post and you will see that I propose using the
orbiter stage of a (two-stage) VTOL RLV to do the TMI burn, after being
refueled in LEO.

Well, there goes the whole "affordable" thing....

Non-sequitur. I'd like to see your reasons for believing that a mostly
expendable HLLV would be cheaper.

The Mars-bound payload, incidentally, would be
integrated with the orbiter on the ground, so there would be no on-orbit
assembly required.

A Shuttle-class paylosd is all that you want for a manned Mars mission?

We can do quite a bit with 80,000 lb.

[deleted]

For example, the orbiter
stage of a ballistic RLV would, necessarily, have landing gear, so it
could land on the Moon.

And would it have this useless-on-Eath landing gear on regular launch
flights? Or would it have a completely separate landing gear? And would
it have a deletable TPS system for lunar flights? or would it carry that
weight all the way to the moon and back?

The Earth landing gear would work just fine on the Moon. And unless you
plan on a one-way trip, you *have* to carry the heat shield all the way
to the Moon and back. Lunar LOX will make the additional penalty of
carrying it down to the surface and back quite affordable. Doing that
will be cheaper for quite a while than developing a new system, without
TPS, that could be based on the Moon. It would *have* to based on the
Moon since, lacking a TPS we would not be able to bring it back to
Earth. Bringing it back to LEO for servicing would require propulsive
braking, which would require about twice the delta-v capability that it
would need just to go between the lunar surface and LLO. Having two
separate vehicles would also require transferring payloads in zero-g.

In short... a do-everything stage is a neat idea, but impractical with
conventional chemical propellants.

Developing separate vehicles for each application is impractical with
any propellants. Propellants are cheap, so spending a lot of money
developing special purpose hardware that is highly optimized for minimum
mass just to save a modest amount of propellants does not pay. But
having a common, reusable launch system for many different applications
could save 10's of billions of dollars.

[deleted]
Old May 7th 04, 05:32 AM
Scott Lowther

Dick Morris wrote:

I'd like to see your reasons for believing that a mostly
expendable HLLV would be cheaper.

I have not proposed such a thing, so I see no reason to provide a
rationale for it.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old May 7th 04, 06:25 AM
Edward Wright

Michael Gallagher wrote in message . ..

We have maps of the Moon
and Mars at resolutions Lewis and Clark never dreamed of. I don't

see
why you keep denying the obvious.

I am not denying anything; I am saying that even with all that, we
have barely scratched the surface.

Then by your logic, Lewis and Clark "barely scratched the surface."

Did that mean we needed a hundred Lewis and Clark expeditions before
anyone could settle the American West?

.... Settlement means establishing permanent homes, villages,
towns, and cities --not conducting "extended" campouts.

Then what President Bush is talking about, particularly WRT the Moon,
is more akin to modern military bases -- a "presence" on foriegn soil
that people are rotated in and out of.

US military bases are established to protect the United States, not to
provide entertainment. There are no Moonmen threatening the United
States, so why do we need to establish military bases there?

No one is talking about an *infinite* series of anything, and these
expiditions would be from Bases on the Moon or Mars to other parts of
those bodies.

Did I say they wouldn't be from the Moon or Mars? That doesn't explain
why we need military bases on the Moon or Mars or why you think the
rest of us must stay home.

The real Lewis and Clark conducted only one expedition, and it had

one
specific goal -- to enable the immediate opening of the American

West
to settlement and commercial exploitation.

And you are saying we don't need to do anymore of that, we can just go
ahead to colonization and hang learning the lay of the land first.

We already know the lay of the land, down to a few centimeters. Why do
you keep on denying that -- and then denying that you denied it?

I disagree. Yes, we have maps and data Lewis and Clark couldn't have
dreamed of, and even then, we have barely scratched the surface.

How much subsurface data do you think Lewis and Clark collected? Did
they even have a seismograph?

I doubt you will find a reputable planetary scientist anywhere who will
disagree with that.

I'm sure planetary scientists are well aware of how much data they
have compared to what Lewis and Clark had. Besides, where is it
written that no one is allowed to live in a place until the scientists
are through studying it?
Old May 7th 04, 06:51 PM
Dick Morris

Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

I'd like to see your reasons for believing that a mostly
expendable HLLV would be cheaper.

I have not proposed such a thing, so I see no reason to provide a
rationale for it.

OK, how about a link to the design you *are* proposing.

Old May 8th 04, 12:01 AM
Dick Morris

Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

I'd like to see your reasons for believing that a mostly
expendable HLLV would be cheaper.

I have not proposed such a thing, so I see no reason to provide a
rationale for it.

OK, show your reasons for believing that what you are proposing would be
cheaper.

Old May 8th 04, 05:49 AM
Scott Lowther

Dick Morris wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

I'd like to see your reasons for believing that a mostly
expendable HLLV would be cheaper.

I have not proposed such a thing, so I see no reason to provide a
rationale for it.

OK, how about a link to the design you *are* proposing.

I have already suggested an Ares-type vehicle. Boosters reusable,
rpopulsion module reusable, ET used on-orbit. Consequently, "mostly
expendable" is not a relevant description.