NASA studies new booster (UPI)

Old April 28th 04, 04:41 PM
Rand Simberg

Default NASA studies new booster (UPI)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:03:58 GMT, in a place far, far away, Scott
Lowther made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Rand Simberg wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 03:19:47 GMT, in a place far, far away, Scott
Lowther made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

The problem is that the heavy lifter has much higher development
costs,

Undemonstrated

??

Only to someone utterly innocent of launch systems.

Indeed? When has *anyone* *ever* built a low-cost launch vehicle?

I don't know. When has anyone built a hypersonic hovercraft?
Old April 29th 04, 12:39 AM
Dick Morris

Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

And how big do you think we need?

Saturn V class seems to be appropriate for minimal Moon missions, and
for major componants of Mars missions.

I saw two Saturn V launches from about 3 miles away, and God knows I'd
love to see another one, but I don't think we're going to be building
anything that big again this side of 2050. But that doesn't mean we
*can't* go back to the Moon or to Mars. The IMLEO of a Moon or Mars
ship will be roughly 80% propellants, so a vehicle with a payload of 1/5
the IMLEO could launch all the hardware in one flight, then launch the
propellants in several tanker flights of the same launch vehicle. No
on-orbit *assembly* would be required, just docking and propellant
transfer operations.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam

Old April 29th 04, 04:01 AM
Scott Lowther

Dick Morris wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

And how big do you think we need?

Saturn V class seems to be appropriate for minimal Moon missions, and
for major componants of Mars missions.

I saw two Saturn V launches from about 3 miles away, and God knows I'd
love to see another one, but I don't think we're going to be building
anything that big again this side of 2050.

I don;t see why not. A shuttle-derived vehicle can easily be in the same
class as the Saturn V.

Old April 29th 04, 06:15 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Scott Lowther wrote in message ...
Dick Morris wrote:
I saw two Saturn V launches from about 3 miles away, and God knows I'd
love to see another one, but I don't think we're going to be building
anything that big again this side of 2050.

I don;t see why not. A shuttle-derived vehicle can easily be in the same
class as the Saturn V.

That's the hilarious thing about the Shuttle stack. It's
a Saturn V equivalent heavy lift launcher (it can throw 97%
of the S-V LEO payload into orbit, counting the orbiter
mass but not the SSMEs). And it's flown over a hundred
times. Nobody notices this because of the huge
inefficiency, and general banality, of the Shuttle system
and program. Just imagine what we could have done with
100 Saturn-V launches.
Old April 29th 04, 07:01 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

Indeed? When has *anyone* *ever* built a low-cost launch vehicle?

Scout; IIRC they used to go for around 1 million apiece.

Pat

Old April 29th 04, 02:58 PM
Scott Lowther

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Indeed? When has *anyone* *ever* built a low-cost launch vehicle?

Scout; IIRC they used to go for around 1 million apiece.

But the paylaod was pathetic, and that was when a million dollars was
*real* money.

Old April 29th 04, 03:45 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

Scout; IIRC they used to go for around 1 million apiece.

But the paylaod was pathetic, and that was when a million dollars was
*real* money.

But there might be some lessons to learn from it; it didn't need many
ground support crew or much launching infrastructure due to it's
simplicity (it was solid-fueled) and those factors allowed it to be
launched with economy from fairly simple sites like Italy's San Marco
site and our Wallops Island in a manner more like a sounding rocket than
what is associated with a liquid-fueled satellite launcher.
And with a launch success rate of over 98%, it didn't suck in the
reliability sphere either.
The reason I mentioned it was that it was one space launcher that was
specifically developed for economy- in development, construction, and
operations.

Pat

Old April 29th 04, 06:05 PM
Allen Thomson

Pat Flannery wrote

Scout; IIRC they used to go for around 1 million apiece.

x10

The 1991 edition of Isakowitz' "International Reference
Guide to Space Launch Systems" gives the estimated launch
price in 1990 dollars as $10M to $12M for Scout, $15M for
Enhanced Scout. ($10M in 1990 bucks is ~ $14M in 2004 per
http://www.bls.gov/cpi/.)