"Concerned citizens" only hope for SPS......by Dr. Gerard K. O'Neill

Old October 22nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
jonathan

Default "Concerned citizens" only hope for SPS......by Dr. Gerard K. O'Neill

The World's Energy Future Belongs in Orbit

by Dr. Gerard K. O'Neill
Trilogy January/February 1992
http://ssi.org/?page_id=8

Letting The Sun Shine In

'By close analogy, the probable best solution to our energy problem
is to use the third dimension. There is, already, an utterly reliable,
maintenance-free, nuclear reactor that consumes its own
wastes - the sun. Everywhere except where the Earth's shadow
interrupts it, sunlight is intense and reliable 24 hours a day;
everywhere, except where we have tried to use it so far.
There is a way to use the clean solar energy that now streams
by the Earth to lose itself in the depths of space. It does not
require new science, nor high temperatures, nor high energy density.
It is simply to locate, in high orbit, large arrays of solar panels.
Those panels convert solar energy to electricity, and then to
low-density radio waves. The waves are sent to fenced-off areas
on Earth where they are converted back to electricity at an efficiency
rate of more than 90 percent. To make solar power satellites (SPS)
practical and economical, we do not need any new science; we only
need to apply what we are already doing in the more advanced
industries: robotic production, computer control, and the replication
by robotic machines of some of their heavier, simpler
components."

"Since the governmental-scientific establishment in the United States
is making no useful move toward a serious review of satellite power
as a practical alternative, it may well be that concerned citizens
are the only force that can bring about the necessary action.
We as citizens have often succeeded in "Stop!" actions.
Let us review, carefully and with open minds, whether
SPS is something that we may want to "Start!"

Old October 22nd 06, 01:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
[email protected]

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

microwaves pointed at earth concern me. just what effects on the ozone
plants and animal life.

I SUPPORT a space program but am afraid this isnt it

Old October 22nd 06, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
jonathan

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

microwaves pointed at earth concern me. just what effects on the ozone
plants and animal life.

I SUPPORT a space program but am afraid this isnt it

Maybe lasers will be the way solar power is transmitted
to earth. Hey, lasers on the ISS, maybe the Defense Dept
would jump on that?
http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/ppo/...eaming_TIM.pdf

There's a number of proposals here.

Nasa Power and Propulsion Office
http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/ppo/...ctm/index.html

Old October 22nd 06, 08:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 21 Oct 2006 17:21:12 -0700, in a place far, far away,
" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

microwaves pointed at earth concern me.

Yes, all manner of things concern scientific illiterates and morons
like you.
Old October 22nd 06, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
jacob navia

Rand Simberg wrote:
On 21 Oct 2006 17:21:12 -0700, in a place far, far away,
" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

microwaves pointed at earth concern me.

Yes, all manner of things concern scientific illiterates and morons
like you.

What an arrogant!

Ahh but I see that you live in "...

This explains everything
Old October 22nd 06, 10:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:27:02 +0200, in a place far, far away, jacob
navia made the phosphor on my monitor glow in

Rand Simberg wrote:
On 21 Oct 2006 17:21:12 -0700, in a place far, far away,
" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

microwaves pointed at earth concern me.

Yes, all manner of things concern scientific illiterates and morons
like you.

What an arrogant!

No, just experienced with his many previous postings.
Old October 23rd 06, 03:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Joe Strout

In article om,
" wrote:

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

Radio waves.

microwaves pointed at earth concern me. just what effects on the ozone
plants and animal life.

No measurable effects have been found. I would of course support
studying it further, to be absolutely sure, but so far it looks like a
completely benign technology -- certainly more so than, say, burning
coal.

I SUPPORT a space program but am afraid this isnt it

I'm afraid you haven't looked into it very deeply.
Old October 23rd 06, 06:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Mike Combs[_1_]

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

microwaves pointed at earth concern me. just what effects on the ozone
plants and animal life.

I SUPPORT a space program but am afraid this isnt it

Read up a bit on the SPS proposal. You'll find that the environmental
effects of microwave power beaming were studied pretty thoroughly and found
to be acceptable. No problems for birds flying through the beam and not
even so much as behavioral changes in bees.

There would be no affect at all on the ozone. Perhaps an affect on the
ionosphere which might annoy some kinds of ham radio operators.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old October 23rd 06, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Alex Terrell

Joe Strout wrote:

In article om,
" wrote:

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

Radio waves.

microwaves pointed at earth concern me. just what effects on the ozone
plants and animal life.

No measurable effects have been found. I would of course support
studying it further, to be absolutely sure, but so far it looks like a
completely benign technology -- certainly more so than, say, burning
coal.

So far the only danger / risks from SSP that haven't been addressed, as
far as know (which may not be so far) a
- Interference with WiFi transmissions of people living close to the
rectenna
- Birds may get a nice warm feeling. This might lead them to congragate
in the area and a few years of exposure may lead to health problems
- If a terrorist were to simultaneously gain control of several 5GW
stations, and point them all at the same place, this could do
considerable damage.

I SUPPORT a space program but am afraid this isnt it

It should be.

Old October 23rd 06, 09:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro
Sjouke Burry

Joe Strout wrote:
In article om,
" wrote:

Just how are we going to transport that energy SAFELY to earth?

Radio waves.

You realy want to be mircowaved(as in a magnetron)
by a space based power transdsmittor? Even here on
earth, if you walk in front of a military high power
radar by accidence, people have been blinded or worse.
I would not be surprised, that at the right frequency
you can set fire to a city within seconds.
Of course if you want a defence shield in space, maybe
this is the way to go....
You wont have trouble hitting somebody(and his neighbours).