Daily Report #4796

Old February 23rd 09, 02:05 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4796

DAILY REPORT****** #4796

PERIOD COVERED: 5am February 20 - 5am February 23, 2009 (DOY
*************************** 051/1000z-054/1000z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFPC2 11991

Constraining the Late Time Lightcurve and Energy of GRB 090102

We propose to conduct a series of late time observations of the
lightcurve of the bright gamma-ray burst GRB 090102. Declared a burst
of interest by the Swift team, and with excellent broadband data
covering the prompt emission (Swift and Fermi) and afterglow (Swift,
TAROT, NOT, WHT, and several more), GRB 090102 offers a rare
opportunity to probe the physics and energetics of GRBs. Its high
energy budget (2e53 ergs for isotropic emission) stretches plausible
progenitor models, and as yet the signatures of jet-like emission have
not been observed. Our late time observations will search for
steepening of the afterglow due to lateral expansion of the jet. This
will enable us, in tandem with the data already secured, to determine
its total energy budget, and compare this to expectations for
different progenitors models. HST is vital to this endeavour since it
can reach depths essentially unattainable to ground based technology,
while its invariant PSF will allow us to accurately remove underlying
host contamination. Ultimately, the range and quality of data secured
for this burst will enable us to accurately reconstruct the parameters
of the explosion, and shed greater light on the physical processes
which under lie the production of GRBs.

WFPC2 11986

Completing HST's Local Volume Legacy

Nearby galaxies offer one of the few laboratories within which stellar
populations can be tied to multi-wavelength observations. They are
thus essential for calibrating and interpreting key astrophysical
observables, such as broad-band luminosities, durations and energy
input from starbursts, and timescales of UV, H-alpha, and FIR
emission. The study of stellar populations in nearby galaxies requires
high-resolution observations with HST, but HST's legacy for this
limited set of galaxies remains incomplete.

As a first attempt to establish this legacy, The ACS Nearby Galaxy
Survey Treasury (ANGST) began observations in late 2006. ANGST was
designed to carry out a uniform multi-color survey of a volume-limited
sample of ~70 nearby galaxies that could be used for systematic
studies of resolved stellar populations. The resulting data provide
nuanced constraints on the processes which govern star formation and
galaxy evolution, for a well-defined population of galaxies. All
photometry for the survey has been publicly released.

However, the failure of ACS 4.5 months after ANGST began taking data
led to a drastic reduction in the planned survey. The loss is
two-fold. First, the goals of completeness and uniformity were greatly
compromised, impacting global comparison studies. Second, the variety
of observed star formation histories was reduced. Given that we have
never found two galaxies with identical star formation histories, and
fully sampling the population allows us to catch those few systems
whose star formation rates and metallicities place the strongest
constraints on key astrophysical processes.

Here we propose WFPC2 observations of all remaining galaxies within
the Local Volume (D3.5Mpc) for which current HST observations are
insufficient for meaningful stellar population studies. We will use
these observations for research on the star formation histories of
individual galaxies and the Local Volume, detailed calibrations of
star formation rate indicators, and the durations of starbursts. We
will also make them publicly available through the ANGST archive to
support future research. The proposed observations will finally
complete a lasting legacy of HST

WFPC2 11978

Luminous and Dark Matter in Disk Galaxies from Strong Lensing and
Stellar Kinematics

The formation of realistic disk galaxies within the LCDM paradigm is
still an unsolved problem. Theory is only now beginning to make
predictions for how dark matter halos respond to galaxy formation and
for the properties of disk galaxies. Measuring the density profiles of
dark matter halos on galaxy scales is therefore a strong test for the
standard paradigm of galaxy formation, offering great potential for
discovery. However, from an observational point of view, the
degeneracy between the stellar and dark matter contributions to galaxy
rotation curves remains a major road block. Strong gravitational
lensing, when coupled to spatially-resolved kinematics and stellar
population models, can solve this long-standing problem.
Unfortunately, this joint methodology could not be exploited so far
due to the paucity of known edge-on spiral lenses. Exploiting the full
SDSS-DR7 archive we have identified a new sample of exactly these
systems. We propose multi-color HST imaging to confirm and measure a
sample of twenty spiral lenses, covering a range of bulge to disk
ratios. By combining dynamical lensing and stellar population
information for this unique sample we will deliver the first
statistical constraints on halos and disk properties, and a new
stringent test of disk galaxy formation theories.

FGS 11945

Asteroseismology of Extrasolar Planet Host Stars

Detections of stellar oscillations, although a very demanding task in
terms of observing time, offers a return of more accurate knowledge
about the structure of stars than can be obtained in any other way. In
particular, detecting the 10-15 highest amplitude modes in solar-like
stars to signal-to-noise of just a few sigma each allows robust
constraints on the stellar density to 1%, and the stellar age to
within 5-10% of its main sequence lifetime. Ten day observing runs
using the FGS as a photometer on any of the 5 best transiting planet
systems would enable these asteroseismology returns. From more
precisely observed transit shapes than can be obtained from the ground
a completely independent constraint on stellar density to ~1% can be
obtained. The long observation sets required for asteroseismology also
provide an excellent opportunity of detecting transits from other
planets, e.g. hypothesized inner -orbit Hot Earths, should any exist.

FGS 11943/11944

Binaries at the Extremes of the H-R Diagram

We propose to use HST/Fine Guidance Sensor 1r to survey for binaries
among some of the most massive, least massive, and oldest stars in our
part of the Galaxy. FGS allows us to spatially resolve binary systems
that are too faint for ground-based, speckle or optical long baseline
interferometry, and too close to resolve with AO. We propose a
SNAP-style program of single orbit FGS TRANS mode observations of very
massive stars in the cluster NGC 3603, luminous blue variables, nearby
low mass main sequence stars, cool subdwarf stars, and white dwarfs.
These observations will help us to (1) identify systems suitable for
follow up studies for mass determination, (2) study the role of
binaries in stellar birth and in advanced evolutionary states, (3)
explore the fundamental properties of stars near the main
sequence-brown dwarf boundary, (4) understand the role of binaries for
X-ray bright systems, (5) find binaries among ancient and nearby
subdwarf stars, and (6) help calibrate the white dwarf mass - radius
relation.

WFPC2 11797

Supplemental WFPC2 CYCLE 16 Intflat Linearity Check and Filter
Rotation Anomaly Monitor

Supplemental observations to 11029, to cover period from Aug 08 to
SM4. Intflat observations will be taken to provide a linearity check:
the linearity test consists of a series of intflats in F555W, in each
gain and each shutter. A combination of intflats, visflats, and
earthflats will be used to check the repeatability of filter wheel
motions. (Intflat sequences tied to decons, visits 1-18 in prop 10363,
have been moved to the cycle 15 decon proposal 11022 for easier
scheduling.)

Note: long-exposure WFPC2 intflats must be scheduled during ACS
anneals to prevent stray light from the WFPC2 lamps from contaminating
long ACS external exposures.

Note: These are supplemental observations to cover June to SM4 (Oct 8
'08) + 6 months.

WFPC2 11796

WFPC2 Cycle 16 Decontaminations and Associated Observations

This proposal is for the WFPC2 decons. Also included are instrument
monitors tied to decons: photometric stability check, focus monitor,
pre- and post-decon internals (bias, intflats, kspots, & darks), UV
throughput check, VISFLAT sweep, and internal UV flat check.

FGS 11788

The Architecture of Exoplanetary Systems

Are all planetary systems coplanar? Concordance cosmogony makes that
prediction. It is, however, a prediction of extrasolar planetary
system architecture as yet untested by direct observation for main
sequence stars other than the Sun. To provide such a test, we propose
to carry out FGS astrometric studies on four stars hosting seven
companions. Our understanding of the planet formation process will
grow as we match not only system architecture, but formed planet mass
and true distance from the primary with host star characteristics for
a wide variety of host stars and exoplanet masses.

We propose that a series of FGS astrometric observations with
demonstrated 1 millisecond of arc per-observation precision can
establish the degree of coplanarity and component true masses for four
extrasolar systems: HD 202206 (brown dwarf+planet); HD 128311
(planet+planet), HD 160691 = mu Arae (planet+planet), and HD 222404AB
= gamma Cephei (planet+star). In each case the companion is identified
as such by assuming that the minimum mass is the actual mass. For the
last target, a known stellar binary system, the companion orbit is
stable only if coplanar with the AB binary orbit.

WFPC2 11590

Observing the IR Catastrophe in a Deflagration Type Ia Supernova

Our lack of understanding of Type Ia supernova (SN Ia) explosions
limits our confidence in their use for cosmology. While there is broad
agreement that these objects represent the explosions of white dwarfs,
the details of the explosion mechanism are not well-understood.
Recently, we have identified an internally homogeneous subclass of SNe
Ia whose photometric and spectroscopic peculiarities make them quite
distinct from normal SNe Ia. Models suggest we may be seeing the
result of an explosion with a subsonic burning front, called a
deflagration. We propose to test SN Ia models by obtaining late-time
photometry for SN 2008A, a recent, nearby example of this subclass,
using ACS and WFC3 on HST. We will accurately measure the late-time
photometric decline rate and spectral energy distribution (SED). These
observations will allow us to test whether the ejecta contain the
large amount of oxygen predicted by certain models. We also aim to
detect major evolution of the SED expected due to the "IR catastrophe,
" a change in the dominant cooling mechanism in the ejecta, as
generically predicted by models but only hinted at by current
observations.

WFPC2 11196

An Ultraviolet Survey of Luminous Infrared Galaxies in the Local
Universe

At luminosities above 10^11.4 L_sun, the space density of far-infrared
selected galaxies exceeds that of optically selected galaxies. These
Luminous Infrared Galaxies {LIRGs} are primarily interacting or
merging disk galaxies undergoing starbursts and creating/fueling
central AGN. We propose far {ACS/SBC/F140LP} and near {WFPC2/PC/F218W}
UV imaging of a sample of 27 galaxies drawn from the complete IRAS
Revised Bright Galaxy Sample {RBGS} LIRGs sample and known, from our
Cycle 14 B and I-band ACS imaging observations, to have significant
numbers of bright {23 B 21 mag} star clusters in the central 30
arcsec. The HST UV data will be combined with previously obtained HST,
Spitzer, and GALEX images to {i} calculate the ages of the clusters as
function of merger stage, {ii} measure the amount of UV light in
massive star clusters relative to diffuse regions of star formation,
{iii} assess the feasibility of using the UV slope to predict the
far-IR luminosity {and thus the star formation rate} both among and
within IR-luminous galaxies, and {iv} provide a much needed catalog of
rest- frame UV morphologies for comparison with rest-frame UV images
of high-z LIRGs and Lyman Break Galaxies. These observations will
achieve the resolution required to perform both detailed photometry of
compact structures and spatial correlations between UV and redder
wavelengths for a physical interpretation our IRX-Beta results. The
HST UV data, combined with the HST ACS, Spitzer, Chandra, and GALEX
observations of this sample, will result in the most comprehensive
study of luminous starburst galaxies to date.

WFPC2 11013

Continued M31 Monitoring for Black Hole X-ray Nova

We have been carring out a Chandra (GO+GTO) and HST (GO) program to
find Black Hole X-ray Nova (BHXN) and their optical counterparts in
M31 for several years. To date we have found 2 dozen BHXN and 3 HST
optical counterparts for these BHXN. Our results suggest a rather high
ratio of BH to neutron star (NS) binaries, or a high duty cycle for
the BHXN. We propose to continue this program, with the goal of
determining the orbital period distribution and duty cycles of these
BHXN. Current results yield 3 orbital periods and 3 upper limits. Our
proposed observations will ~double the total number of periods and
therefore yield sufficient numbers to make a first approximation of
the orbital period distribution. The orbital period distribution is
the fundamental observable parameter any binary stellar evolution
models must match, and the duty cycle is very poorly known but
directly influences the binary lifetime. M31 is the only galaxy in
which this extra-galactic study of BHXN is feasible. Furthermore, the
2 HST observations will allow us to estimate the orbital period of a
single super-Eddington source.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

11694 - At 052/01:12:56, GSAcq (2,3,2) scheduled from 052/01:09:14 -
01:16:41 resulted in Fine Lock Back-up (2,0,2).

0bservations possibly affected: Astrometry Proposal ID# 11943

11695 - REAcq (1,2,2) at 053/18:31:22 failed to RGA control with
QF1STOPF and QSTOP flags set.

Observations affected: WFPC 202 to 203, Proposal ID# 11986.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

18404-0 - Uplink new FGS Alignment tables for 054 SMS @ 054/0019z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

*********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq************** 18**************** 18
FGS REacq************** 22**************** 21
OBAD with Maneuver **** 50**************** 50

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

The new FGS alignments were successfully uplinked tonight at the start
of the 054 SMS at 2009.054/00:20. The first Guide star acquisition on
the SMS was successful

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 05:17 PM
Daily Report #4462 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 October 5th 07 03:41 PM
DAILY REPORT #3907 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 22nd 05 04:35 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM