Awfully Bright Tonight?

Old July 18th 05, 01:53 PM
Ron Hubbard

Default Awfully Bright Tonight?

I was looking at the moon tonight and it seemed unusually clear and big in the sky
tonight. Is it's orbit changing a bit?

Ron

--
"You see me now a veteran, of a thousand psychic wars.
I've been living on the edge so long where the winds of limbo roar."

Old July 24th 05, 03:03 PM
Stephen the Red

Just normal elliptical orbit. Note in today's Houston Chronicle says the
moon is at 223,300 mi, closest approach until 2007.

Old July 24th 05, 11:46 PM
Henry Spencer

Ron Hubbard wrote:
I was looking at the moon tonight and it seemed unusually clear and big in the sky
tonight. Is it's orbit changing a bit?

No, but it was very close to full then (early last week), and the Moon
*is* a good deal brighter when full than it is in partial phases. And if
you were seeing it low above the horizon, there is a well-known illusion
that makes it look bigger there than when it's high in the sky.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old July 27th 05, 10:47 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Sun, 24 Jul 2005
22:46:49, seen in news:sci.space.science, Henry Spencer
posted :
In article ,
Ron Hubbard wrote:
I was looking at the moon tonight and it seemed unusually clear and big in the

sky
tonight. Is it's orbit changing a bit?

No, but it was very close to full then (early last week), and the Moon
*is* a good deal brighter when full than it is in partial phases. And if
you were seeing it low above the horizon, there is a well-known illusion
that makes it look bigger there than when it's high in the sky.

AIUI, perigee and full moon almost coincided.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;