SpaceX just did a full duration test firing of a recovered 1st stage

Old July 29th 16, 11:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX just did a full duration test firing of a recovered 1st stage

Saw the Tweet last night, with video, of a full duration test firing of
a recovered Falcon 9 first stage at their McGregor, Texas facility. I'm
sure there will be stories on the space news websites today.

This is the sort of progress we need in launch vehicle tech. It's
doable with today's tech, not some largely unproven (for a launch
vehicle) tech straight out of a lab.

Jeff
Old July 29th 16, 09:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Vaughn Simon

On 7/29/2016 6:25 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Saw the Tweet last night, with video, of a full duration test firing of
a recovered Falcon 9 first stage at their McGregor, Texas facility.

I find it interesting that their original stated plan was to fire a
recovered booster several times at KSC, and to do so with a minimum of
delay. Clearly the idea behind that plan was to publicly show that
their recovered boosters had plenty of life left in them.

But then they changed the plan! Instead, they shipped that one all the
way to Texas for a test that took months to occur. Note that we weren't
allowed to know about the test until after the fact.

My guess is that the main reason for the move to Texas was to increase
their privacy so they could work in secret and totally control any press
coverage. These SpaceX folks clearly aren't dummies, so if they are
that concerned about a potentially embarrassing problem, I must assume
that they have good reason for their concern.
Old July 30th 16, 12:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

[...]

Firings at McGregor aren't terribly "secret". Hint: the neighbors
already complain a bit about the noise. These things are *loud*,
especially a first stage firing (nine engines at once).

Jeff
Old July 30th 16, 01:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Vaughn Simon

On 7/29/2016 7:30 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Firings at McGregor aren't terribly "secret". Hint: the neighbors
already complain a bit about the noise. These things are *loud*,
especially a first stage firing (nine engines at once).

I'm sure that's true, but I'll bet that you can't see much from outside
the fence. If there were to be some sort of incident, they can be
pretty sure that they will own the only pictures/video. Also, at any
given time I doubt if there is much press hanging around McGregor
compared to KSC.
Old July 30th 16, 04:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message ...

On 7/29/2016 7:30 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Firings at McGregor aren't terribly "secret". Hint: the neighbors
already complain a bit about the noise. These things are *loud*,
especially a first stage firing (nine engines at once).

I'm sure that's true, but I'll bet that you can't see much from outside the
fence. If there were to be some sort of incident, they can be pretty sure
that they will own the only pictures/video. Also, at any given time I
doubt if there is much press hanging around McGregor compared to KSC.

Also folks locally will know SOMETHING was tested, but not necessarily what
until after the fact.

Old July 30th 16, 01:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
Jeff Findley wrote:

Saw the Tweet last night, with video, of a full duration test firing of
a recovered Falcon 9 first stage at their McGregor, Texas facility. I'm
sure there will be stories on the space news websites today.

News this morning says a second full duration firing has taken place.

Anthony

Old July 30th 16, 02:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 7:06:12 AM UTC-4, Anthony Frost wrote:
In message
Jeff Findley wrote:

Saw the Tweet last night, with video, of a full duration test firing of
a recovered Falcon 9 first stage at their McGregor, Texas facility. I'm
sure there will be stories on the space news websites today.

News this morning says a second full duration firing has taken place.

Anthony

it may be a case of much better monitoring equiptement where it was tested.

KSC is brand new location and may not be ready yet.

obviously close monitoring is critical when testing the first reused booster.
Old July 31st 16, 02:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 11:30:14 AM UTC+12, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , says...

[...]

Legislation was introduced in the Texas Legislature in early 2013 that limits liability for noise and some other specific commercial spaceflight risks faced by SpaceX. So, it doesn't really matter what the neighbours say. This in addition to a package of incentives including tax abatements and other State grants, to encourage SpaceX to locate in Texas was passed in October 2013.