Endeavour's Ames flyby

Old September 22nd 12, 11:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Default Endeavour's Ames flyby

Fred J. McCall used his keyboard to write :
Snidely wrote:

On Friday, Orval Fairbairn asserted:
Rick Jones wrote:
Now, here is a chase plane in NASA livery down at LAX, but it looks like
an F/A-18 derivative?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bravo45...331045/in/pool
-spaceshuttleendeavour/

F-18. It was also an F-18 when they landed at Edwards.

What's an F-18? Who makes it? Who flies it?

That would be F/A-18, unless you're Swiss.

Indeed.

[...]
The paint makes me wonder if Dryden has the old Northrop YF-17 'in
stock'. They painted them that way during the 'light fighter'
fly-off. It was the 'land based' prototype that the F/A-18 was built
off of.

Interesting; there's no end of background material most of us will
never know about.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old September 22nd 12, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Peter Stickney explained on 9/22/2012 :
Rick Jones wrote:

Now, here is a chase plane in NASA livery down at LAX, but it looks
like an F/A-18 derivative?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bravo45...31045/in/pool-
spaceshuttleendeavour/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bravo45...29539/in/pool-
spaceshuttleendeavour/

Two chase:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lomara/8010555486/in/pool-

spaceshuttleendeavour/

Sedan Model (2-seat) F-18, one of NASA's fleet.

I didn't see the cahse planes land (they flew by on the SCA's landing,
with instructions "don't initiate the climb until you're over the
water").

Was I just not alert enough, or did they head back to Dryden, or on to
a nearby military strip?

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old September 23rd 12, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

Rick Jones wrote:

Now, here is a chase plane in NASA livery down at LAX, but it
looks like an F/A-18 derivative?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bravo45...31045/in/pool-
spaceshuttleendeavour/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bravo45...29539/in/pool-
spaceshuttleendeavour/

Two chase:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lomara/8010555486/in/pool-

spaceshuttleendeavour/

Sedan Model (2-seat) F-18, one of NASA's fleet.

I didn't see the cahse planes land (they flew by on the SCA's
landing, with instructions "don't initiate the climb until you're
over the water").

Was I just not alert enough, or did they head back to Dryden, or on
to a nearby military strip?

Can't say, I'm on the other coast adn my glasses aren't strong enough.

But the NASA F-18s are based at Dryden, so I'd assume they get back
there at some point.

--
Pete Stickney
From the foothills of the Florida Alps
Old September 23rd 12, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

Rick Jones wrote:
Now, here is a chase plane in NASA livery down at LAX, but it
looks like
an F/A-18 derivative?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bravo45...331045/in/pool
-spaceshuttleendeavour/

F-18. It was also an F-18 when they landed at Edwards.

What's an F-18? Who makes it? Who flies it?

That would be F/A-18, unless you're Swiss.

Indeed.

[...]
The paint makes me wonder if Dryden has the old Northrop YF-17 'in
stock'. They painted them that way during the 'light fighter'
fly-off. It was the 'land based' prototype that the F/A-18 was
built off of.

Interesting; there's no end of background material most of us will
never know about.

I don't think the YF-17's still around. (These aren't - the F/A-18 has
a bigger nose than the really pointy (essentially radar-less YF-17)

But it is pretty close to the Northrop company scheme that the YF-17
carried - it's about the only way to make a Plastic Bug look good.
(Plastic Bug is one of the unoffial names used by the operators,
due to the fairly large amounts of composites in its construction,
the Offical Popular Name (Hornet) and that with that long trailing
link main gear set well aft, when it's in the landing approach, it
looks like a hornet or wasp.)

--
Pete Stickney
From the foothills of the Florida Alps
Old September 29th 12, 06:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Sep 22, 9:29*pm, Peter Stickney wrote:
Snidely wrote:
Fred J. McCall used his keyboard to write :
Snidely wrote:

[...]
The paint makes me wonder if Dryden has the old Northrop YF-17 'in
stock'. *They painted them that way during the 'light fighter'
fly-off. *It was the 'land based' prototype that the F/A-18 was
built off of.

Interesting; there's no end of background material most of us will
never know about.

I don't think the YF-17's still around. (These aren't - the F/A-18 has
a bigger nose than the really pointy (essentially radar-less YF-17)

YF-17
Aircraft on display

YF-17 Cobra, s/n 72-1569, is on display at the Western Museum of
Flight in Torrance, California.[8]
YF-17 Cobra, s/n 72-1570 is on display at the Battleship Memorial
Park in Mobile, Alabama.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YF-17

Only the pair were built.

Andre