How high is space

Old November 18th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default How high is space

What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

Old November 18th 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Gareth Slee

wrote:

What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

I believe NASA put the start of space at 100Km

--
Gareth Slee
http://www.meroffice.com
Old November 18th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Frank Glover[_1_]

Gareth Slee wrote:

wrote:

What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

I believe NASA put the start of space at 100Km

I'm not sure how much NASA/DoD accepts that figure (Asronaut Wings
were given to those who exceeded 50 miles, which included some X-15
pilots), but most others (including the X-Prize people) do go with
100km/62.5mi as their dividing line.

--

Frank

You know what to remove to reply...

Check out my web page: http://www.geocities.com/stardolphin1/link2.htm

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the
human spirit."
- Stephen Hawking
Old November 18th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:56:25 +0000, Gareth Slee wrote:

wrote:

What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

I believe NASA put the start of space at 100Km

But how is it defined, 100Km sound like the number is too round. Wouldn't
a better definition be one time around the Earth in orbit with some sort
of standard mass, standard drag coeficient, at some standard or
maximum atmospheric size.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 18th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:48:50 +0000, Frank Glover wrote:

Gareth Slee wrote:

wrote:

What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

I believe NASA put the start of space at 100Km

I'm not sure how much NASA/DoD accepts that figure (Asronaut Wings
were given to those who exceeded 50 miles,

Another nice round arbitrary number 50.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 18th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
HLAH

ups.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_atmosphere pretty much covers it.

Old November 18th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_atmosphere pretty much covers it.

I thought I heard 62 something or others on a quiz show not long ago.
The link gives some three o so definitions. Not least among them the
effective start of interference to re-entry at 75 miles.

So what is a "Karman" line: "The Karman line, at 100 km (62 mi), is
also frequently used as the boundary between atmosphere and space." or
should I look it up?

Old November 19th 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.space.policy
Ian Stirling

wrote:

What is the edge of space? I know peeps think space is 150 miles up or
200 miles up when you go up in a rocket, but what is the OFFICIAL edge
of the earth atmosphere? Does international astronomical union have
accepted definition of where the atmosphere ends and your in space.

I believe NASA put the start of space at 100Km

But how is it defined, 100Km sound like the number is too round. Wouldn't
a better definition be one time around the Earth in orbit with some sort
of standard mass, standard drag coeficient, at some standard or
maximum atmospheric size.

Equatorial orbit is probably an easy starting point.
Then you'd have to specify space weather, as the atmosphere moves a bit.
I suppose a spherical body, with density of 1000Kg/m^3 and a mass of

You'd then have to specify what 'once around' meant.
I suppose 'would impact on the ground at a point under the starting
point' would about cover it.

This is all horribly artificial of course, a lightweight parachute for
something like an astronaut rescue system will have much more apparent drag,
and an osmium telegraph pole much less.