..New Space-Race to the Moon..History is (Tragically) Repeating Itself

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 30th 07, 12:17 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan
BradGuth

Default ..New Space-Race to the Moon..History is (Tragically) Repeating Itself

On Oct 29, 6:58 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
"robert casey" wrote in message

If our priority is better observation and tracking, and the Chinese
asat test shows earth orbit is not a very safe place, as the
statement indicated with " It no longer takes a sophisticated
adversary to impact space and ground systems..."

Then what is the alternative to "space and ground"?

Themoonis the logical alternative.

Yes, theMoonwould be hard to take out with an ASAT, but it's rather
too far away...

Putin mentioned possible missile defense bases
on themoon. Here's a quote by the NY Times from
a couple of years ago.

"Last March, Luan Enjie, director of the China National
Aerospace Administration, described theMoonas
''the focal point wherein future aerospace powers
contend for strategic resources.''

Do I need to explain what stategic means? And these
quotes were from before the Chinese asat test. When
we still thought we could defend our orbital assets.

''TheMoonis a beachhead,'' said Alice Slater, director
of the Global Resource Action Center for the Environment,
a private group in New York. ''It's the high ground from
which they want to control space'' she said of the
Bush administration."http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9802E1DF1039F931A15752...

And if you think I'm equally nuts for claiming we
intend to militarize space, read this quote from
the horses mouth...and this was before Bush.
Before 9/11 and before the Chinese asat test
and before our new aggresive space policy.

"As General Joseph Ashy, then commander in chief
of the US Space Command, put it in 1996: 'It's politically
sensitive, but it's going to happen. Some people don't
want to hear this, and it sure isn't in vogue, but --
absolutely -- we're going to fight in space. We're going
to fight from space and we're going to fight into space.
' Ashy spoke of 'space control,' the US military's term
for controlling space, and space force application,' its
definition for dominating Earth from space. Said General Ashy:
'We'll expand into these two missions because they will
become increasingly important. We will engage terrestrial
targets someday -- ships, airplanes, land targets -- from space.
We will engage targets in space, from space.'"http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2465/is_2_31/ai_71634855/pg_5

What do you guys need, a picture of a room full of
generals pointing to a picture of themoon? With the
caption reading.....place military base here?

This is not a hard case to make.

Actually the moon's L1 with its tethered LSE-CM/ISS and dipole element
that can safely reach to within 2r of mother Earth (closer if you'd
dare) is a physics done deal, except that it's also a first come first
served consideration that China isn't all that likely to pass up.
- Brad Guth -